The Student Room Group

Should lasers be banned in the UK

Poll

Should lasers be banned/made illegal in the UK?

Been some incidents involving lasers being shone at pilots as they take off and land in the UK, the British Pilots Association are calling for it to be banned in the UK, sounds like a fairly strong case after one pilot had medical problems after.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35580261

Scroll to see replies

The person who was responsible for the laser should be airdropped into Chernobyl and forced to fight the Deathclaws that live there :hand:

What are the purpose of lasers anyway lol, every time I've seen someone with them all they do is shine it at people :s-smilie: ?
Original post by somemightsay888
What are the purpose of lasers anyway lol, every time I've seen someone with them all they do is shine it at people :s-smilie: ?

My cat seems to enjoy lasers.

Original post by TheArtofProtest
My cat seems to enjoy lasers.

Haha

OK, I think legislation should be introduced requiring laser owner to have cats :yes:
Original post by somemightsay888
The person who was responsible for the laser should be airdropped into Chernobyl and forced to fight the Deathclaws that live there :hand:

terrorists just need to shine like 6 lasers at once into a Jumbo cockpit and they will cause a disaster.

they could also fly a few drones into the engines while they are there.
No have one for my cats and they love chasing it.

But can't see why punishing everybody because of the actions of a few idiots is an option.
Original post by BaconandSauce
No have one for my cats and they love chasing it.

But can't see why punishing everybody because of the actions of a few idiots is an option.

Do you say the same about guns?
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/48570591.jpg

It's funny when a UK IPHONE supporter says that.
Original post by greatguy163
Do you say the same about guns?

Yes as I own a 2 shotguns.

Why should I be punished because of idiots

But lets see how you respond

Do you say the same about let's say Islam? (something that has killed more pilots than lasers have)
Reply 9
Yes as I own a 2 shotguns.

Why should I be punished because of idiots

But lets see how you respond

Do you say the same about let's say Islam? (something that has killed more pilots than lasers have)

Laser guided missiles

Original post by Rock Fan
Been some incidents involving lasers being shone at pilots as they take off and land in the UK, the British Pilots Association are calling for it to be banned in the UK, sounds like a fairly strong case after one pilot had medical problems after.

Actually, they would be quite useful, in lectures and stuff. :wink:
Original post by Kyx
Laser guided missiles

we are talking about the real world :biggrin:

Most people don't have laser guided missiles at home (but yes agree they could be useful)
Reply 11
Original post by Kyx
Laser guided missiles

You don't use lasers or laser guided missiles to shoot down aircraft, they are used to illuminate ground targets for laser guided munitions dropped from aircraft.
Original post by the bear
terrorists just need to shine like 6 lasers at once into a Jumbo cockpit and they will cause a disaster.

they could also fly a few drones into the engines while they are there.

If next week this exact attack happens I'm blaming you.
Reply 13
we are talking about the real world :biggrin:

Most people don't have laser guided missiles at home (but yes agree they could be useful)

Why, what you want to do with them? :colone:
Original post by Rock Fan

It seems more sensible to limit them to a particular power level; if you want a laser pointer that can reach an aircraft or damage eyesight, then you cannot but if you want one that is not dangerous in that way, you can.
Original post by Jamie S
If next week this exact attack happens I'm blaming you.

lol

:battle:

:reddy:
Reply 16
banned of course ...
why would one need a laser?
The UK is becoming a third world country? Lol what?
Original post by TeeEm
banned of course ...

Physics!
Original post by TeeEm
banned of course ...

I use one when the cats are being painful as I can make them run up and down the garden chasing it

Rather innocuous device really so not sure why it needs to be banned

I mean what next:- ban torches!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending