The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston University 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ESpoerry
Hey, I've got an interview for illustration and animation next week but I'm not sure about the portfolio guidelines, what it says on the course's page is a bit confusing. Is there a minimum or maximum amount of pages or is it in the amount of pieces themselves? On the course page it says 'A volume of 10–15 sleeves providing 20–30 sides should be enough to represent yourself' but I'm not sure whether by sleeves or sides it means pages or not? Thanks!

Hi ESpoerry,

There will be contact information on the course page for the faculty. As this is so specific I would contact them as they will be familiar with the portfolio requirements.

Good luck for your interview!

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by Dena-H
Hello
I am graduated from masters of architecture in Turkey and want to do another masters in Uk
I have some questions to ask.
firstly, I wonder when are the deadlines for applications and are they online as well? should the initial application contain the Portfolio of ours, or will it be required afterwards?
and also my IELTS is 3 year old and expired I guess, I took part in 2013. does the university accept the old one as conditional till I get the new one?
and at last, for the initial application is my Master degree's transcript enough or should I attach my Bachelor's transcript as well?
I would be happy to get your answers

Hi Dena,

All deadlines and applicant questions are on our website www.kingston.ac.uk here you will find more information for the course that you would like to study.

As for your ILETS test, I would suggest contacting our international students department, they will be able to help you.
Their contact numbers are
Visa and CAS enquiries
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3645General international student enquiries
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3411I hope this helps, Chloe :smile: Student Ambassador
Original post by Welkom
I still haven't had an email about an Applicant day. I've phoned up many times at different points in the day and keep getting put through to about 4 departments then nobody answers, I sent an email 2 weeks ago to the relevant department and have not had a response and the website is no use at all. The poor communication is really putting me off this uni :frown:

Hi Welkom,

Firstly I apologise you haven't been able to get a response. May I ask when is the Applicant Day you are planning to attend and for what course? It may just be that these have not been sent out yet, depending on how far away the applicant day is.

Student Ambassador
Original post by Kingston University
Hi Welkom,

Firstly I apologise you haven't been able to get a response. May I ask when is the Applicant Day you are planning to attend and for what course? It may just be that these have not been sent out yet, depending on how far away the applicant day is.

Student Ambassador

I was hoping to go to the one on the 24th Feb :redface:
Original post by Welkom
I was hoping to go to the one on the 24th Feb :redface:

Hi Welkom,

I will speak to my colleague tomorrow and see if emails have been sent yet.

Chloe
Student Ambassador
Reply 105
Anyone doing psychology? :smile:
Original post by Welkom
I still haven't had an email about an Applicant day. I've phoned up many times at different points in the day and keep getting put through to about 4 departments then nobody answers, I sent an email 2 weeks ago to the relevant department and have not had a response and the website is no use at all. The poor communication is really putting me off this uni :frown:

Hi Welkom,

I've spoken to my colleague and unfortunately there have been some problems with emails being sent out. If you call and ask for the Marketing department and then once put through ask for Jo she will be able to give you all the info that you need.

I hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else! :smile:

Chloe

Hi,

I just wanted to ask, how much does it cost for printing at Kingston University? Also, can you print double sided? (I know this is a little bit out of topic, but I'm just curious).

Also, what time does the library open and end everyday?

Thanks.
Original post by LionKing101
Hi,

I just wanted to ask, how much does it cost for printing at Kingston University? Also, can you print double sided? (I know this is a little bit out of topic, but I'm just curious).

Also, what time does the library open and end everyday?

Thanks.

Hi LionKing101,

I believe it's 5p for a double sided sheet. It's very reasonable, putting £10 on my university account lasts me a long time. Our libraries are 24 hours Sunday to Thursday, Close at 9pm on Fridays and 5pm on Saturday. These hours occasionally change due to the university time table.

Student Ambassador
Original post by deniakp
I also want to ask something else. Approximmately how many people apply for foundation in art and design at your university and how many get accepted? I am starting to worry about my portfolio that it won't be too good to get in :<

Last year ove 1400 people applied to foundation. There's 180 places. I got accepted but took up a place elsewhere, but I kinda wish I'd stuck with Kingston. Have you been called to interview yet?
Any one studying pharmacy?

I've got an offer & it's my first choice! Problem is I can't pick a second choice because their offers are all higher & I don't like their course or vibe.

Any suggestions?

Can I put Kingston as my first & no second choice?
Original post by deniakp
Hi Chloe! I've applied for Art and Design foundation and today was the last day to upload photos for digital portfolio on Dropbox.
Do you know how long will it take them to reply?

last year I applied to foundation 2 December. If I remember correctly we had to send our Dropbox link with the online application. I heard back on the 2nd of February inviting me to interview on the 18th of Feb. I was made an offer (which I found in my JUNK MAIL!! So check your junk mail folks) on the 25 Feb.

Hope that helps but obviously it depends when you applied and that was for last year so things may have changed. But they keep doing interviews until the end of Easter I think so stay cool! Try not to stress like I am right now about having not heard from Kingston about my BA fashion application.
Original post by ThinkForward
Last year ove 1400 people applied to foundation. There's 180 places. I got accepted but took up a place elsewhere, but I kinda wish I'd stuck with Kingston. Have you been called to interview yet?

180/1400? ****.. xD No I haven't been called yet :< But I submited my application few days before the deadline so I guess they might be a little late..
Also.. do you know what is the level of those who applied but didn't get in? I mean do most of them prepare their portfolio for a long time but don't get in, or is it that they just have a few drawings (not so good) etc and send it? :tongue:
Hi deniakp, Our art and design course is very popular and we do get a high number of applications - however, each portfolio is looked at individually and in depth. If your portfolio meets the required standard, there’s nothing to worry about. Good luck with your application! Chloe :smile: Student Ambassador

Hi Chloe I have one more question. If Kingston invites me for interview, but I can't be there, as I'm not from UK, what happens? Can we do it through skype/telephone ?
Reply 114
Which accommodation is recommended for first year students? And also how close is the accommodation to the campus? Are all first year students guaranteed a room?
Original post by deniakp
180/1400? ****.. xD No I haven't been called yet :< But I submited my application few days before the deadline so I guess they might be a little late..
Also.. do you know what is the level of those who applied but didn't get in? I mean do most of them prepare their portfolio for a long time but don't get in, or is it that they just have a few drawings (not so good) etc and send it? :tongue:

Okay so that would've been January 15th ish? Because you left it near the deadline you're just going to have your application processed later so hang in there.

I can only tell you from my experience. I spent a good month working on getting my portfolio bits and bobs together maybe less than that but Hm. I went on portfolio prep courses too, as did my my friend who also got into Kingston. All of the work I saw of other applicants on my group interview was incredible! Everyone's work was really different and exciting and quite extensive, but there was one guy who brought no a1 sheets, just an a3 sheet of architectural plans and a hyper realistic drawing. I don't know how they did...but I don't think anyone from my portfolio prep course at Kingston got into Kingston in the end, but one guy is at CSM, where I go.

I have a friend at CSM whose work is incredible - way better than mine - but she got rejected from Kingston. So I think Kingston just knows what they want in an applicant maybe? But the standard of those who get in is really good.

Hope that helps
Original post by ThinkForward
Okay so that would've been January 15th ish? Because you left it near the deadline you're just going to have your application processed later so hang in there.

I can only tell you from my experience. I spent a good month working on getting my portfolio bits and bobs together maybe less than that but Hm. I went on portfolio prep courses too, as did my my friend who also got into Kingston. All of the work I saw of other applicants on my group interview was incredible! Everyone's work was really different and exciting and quite extensive, but there was one guy who brought no a1 sheets, just an a3 sheet of architectural plans and a hyper realistic drawing. I don't know how they did...but I don't think anyone from my portfolio prep course at Kingston got into Kingston in the end, but one guy is at CSM, where I go.

I have a friend at CSM whose work is incredible - way better than mine - but she got rejected from Kingston. So I think Kingston just knows what they want in an applicant maybe? But the standard of those who get in is really good.

Hope that helps

Your answer was really helpful, thanks! All I have to do now is just wait for their answer :h:

I've also applied at CSM. How is studying there? Do you like it? Is the environment/people friendly etc? And how many hours do you spend there? ^-^
Sorry for all these questions, they are quite a lot :tongue:
Original post by deniakp
Your answer was really helpful, thanks! All I have to do now is just wait for their answer :h:

I've also applied at CSM. How is studying there? Do you like it? Is the environment/people friendly etc? And how many hours do you spend there? ^-^
Sorry for all these questions, they are quite a lot :tongue:

Hi deniakp I just got an interview invitation two days ago and it says it's going to be a group interview (10 people more or less) and it will last almost an hour, it's like 5 minutes each, and it can be at any time from 1.30 pm to 4pm. Good luck!!
Original post by fabiofari
Hi deniakp I just got an interview invitation two days ago and it says it's going to be a group interview (10 people more or less) and it will last almost an hour, it's like 5 minutes each, and it can be at any time from 1.30 pm to 4pm. Good luck!!

good luck with that! :biggrin: When did you send your application? and are you traveling from another country or are you from england?
Reply 119
Original post by deniakp
good luck with that! :biggrin: When did you send your application? and are you traveling from another country or are you from england?

Which country are you from??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending