The Student Room Group

Can i still do AS at the age of 18

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyfran
I think you would be able to depending on which school you would go to. There is a girl who is retaking her ASs and has transferred to my school and she is 18 and it has worked for her so I imagine it would for you as well. :smile:

Also, I have not applied to any sixtforms so, I don't know who would take me.:frown:
Reply 41
Original post by Blackstarr
Hmmm....maybe

Do you go to a sixthform college or sixtfrom within a secondary school

Sixth form within a secondary school
I have not applied anywhere and even if a sixthfrom in my area was to take me the deadlines were in January so, I have missed the deadlines.:frown:
Sixth form within a secondary school

Ok but are you sure that girl did not have justifiable or extranouting circumstances for the sixthfrom to allow her do AS level at 18?
Reply 44
Ok but are you sure that girl did not have justifiable or extranouting circumstances for the sixthfrom to allow her do AS level at 18?

Not that I'm aware. She just failed her ASs first time round so wants to take them again. The only way you'll find out is just to call as many people as you can
Original post by ckfeister
London!? There a TON of colleges and you can get a london bus travel card or train card for students.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/18-student

Yeah I guess I could but for my current vocational college it takes me an hour and a bit to get there which is a hussle because I have to leave at like ten to 8 in order to get there by nine.

I don't like travelling long distance and I would prefer a sixthfrom within a secondary school but like I said, most application deadlines are gone.:frown:
Not that I'm aware. She just failed her ASs first time round so wants to take them again. The only way you'll find out is just to call as many people as you can

True but since we are on half term, I will have to call during school days.
Reply 47
True but since we are on half term, I will have to call during school days.

You could always email. You never know someone might be looking at the emails and even if they're not, it will be one of the first things they see on the first day back.
You could always email. You never know someone might be looking at the emails and even if they're not, it will be one of the first things they see on the first day back.

Ohh yeah, that's true.
Yeah I guess I could but for my current vocational college it takes me an hour and a bit to get there which is a hussle because I have to leave at like ten to 8 in order to get there by nine.

I don't like travelling long distance and I would prefer a sixthfrom within a secondary school but like I said, most application deadlines are gone.:frown:

1 hour isn't long.
Original post by ckfeister
1 hour isn't long.

Yeah, I know but sometimes, the bus does not come on time and I have to take the long route which is 30 mins extra.

I know this may not sound like a big deal but I am literally feed up of my vocational college, all the teachers do is send you to the library without explaining the content properly.

If I knew college life was going to be this way, I would have go for A levels instead.
I think you can be able to still sit your AS exams. Most Sixth Forms don't allow students to start Sixth Form at the age of 18, but you should still try and contact them. I know some colleges that offer this opportunity to students that are older.

You will need to contact each college separately in order to find out whether it is possible for you to sit exams at that college. Reading your previous post ...

Sadly, there are no further education colleges around my area that do A levels, most of them focus on adults and provide training for employment.:frown:

...I guess you will need to travel far to a college in a different area as you aren't willing to sit exams as a private student.
Original post by undercxver
I think you can be able to still sit your AS exams. Most Sixth Forms don't allow students to start Sixth Form at the age of 18, but you should still try and contact them. I know some colleges that offer this opportunity to students that are older.

You will need to contact each college separately in order to find out whether it is possible for you to sit exams at that college. Reading your previous post ...

...I guess you will need to travel far to a college in a different area as you aren't willing to sit exams as a private student.

You say "colleges" but the institutions around my area and the ones that are not that far from me are sixthfroms within secondary schools.

And I cant be travelling from lets say SE London to E London.

Btw, do these people have to pay?
(edited 8 years ago)
You say "colleges" but the institutions around my area and the ones that are not that far from me are sixthfroms within secondary schools.

And I cant be travelling from lets say SE London to E London.

Btw, do these people have to pay?

Ah so you haven't got many colleges around you.

I thinks that's your only choice, unless you're willing to pay for your exams yourself.

I don't think you have to pay if you are in full-time education at a college.

If I were you I would be up for travelling from SE to E London. To help you with your travel expenses from the 16-19 Bursary Fund.
Ah so you haven't got many colleges around you.

I thinks that's your only choice, unless you're willing to pay for your exams yourself.

I don't think you have to pay if you are in full-time education at a college.

If I were you I would be up for travelling from SE to E London. To help you with your travel expenses from the 16-19 Bursary Fund.

I guess that is my only option but I don't know E London let alone any colleges there that are willing to take a 18 year old to start AS levels.:frown:

I only know my area and a bit beyond, that's it.:redface:
I guess that is my only option but I don't know E London let alone any colleges there that are willing to take a 18 year old to start AS levels.:frown:

I only know my area and a bit beyond, that's it.:redface:

I'll PM you a list of colleges you can contact. Don't stress it will be alright. :hugs:
I'll PM you a list of colleges you can contact. Don't stress it will be alright. :hugs:

Thanks.:smile:
I was 18 and I applied to a sixth form college for A-levels, however It didn't work out for me. They did accept me but I hated the environment! It felt just like secondary school and I had no freedom, horrible.

I am now going straight from GCSE'S to doing a degree at open university. If you don't have any higher qualifications then the government will give you a student loan for a degree. (This is a good option if you think you could handle the jump between GCSE's and a degree)
Original post by mistypoison
I was 18 and I applied to a sixth form college for A-levels, however It didn't work out for me. They did accept me but I hated the environment! It felt just like secondary school and I had no freedom, horrible.

I am now going straight from GCSE'S to doing a degree at open university. If you don't have any higher qualifications then the government will give you a student loan for a degree. (This is a good option if you think you could handle the jump between GCSE's and a degree)

Which sixth form colleges will accept an 18 year old at this time around for the next academic year?:frown:
Reply 59
Yeah

Quick Reply

Latest