The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Sunday_
My final reference was uploaded January 28, so I was among the late applicants. I'm going for the 1 year MPhil. Hopefully the next week will bring news. I emailed her on Thursday as well, but got a reply on Friday. Perhaps your question was just more complicated, mine was a general whine about wanting to know whether or not Im getting in. She's probably answering five of those a day :biggrin:

What college are you going to?

I see. I'm going to Churchchill (only if I get the funding). What's yours?
(edited 8 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by k.anne
How long after receiving your official offer did you hear from your first-choice college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It took me 5 days, got conditional offer on the 9th, and got accepted to my first choice college yesterday :smile:
If student finance for postgraduates only covers tuition fees, how are you expected to cover living costs I.e accommodation/food/bills etc? (when postgraduate loans eventually passes)

If you were applying to do a PHD and get funding then would you recieve a stipend of £12-15k ish to cover everything? Would you recommend using that stipend to pay off the student finance tuition fee of a PHD, which I believe was around £4k/year ish or should you save that for other things i.e accommodation/food/bills.

Would you be expected to self fund living costs if you were applying to do a Masters(1 year course) at another uni since you won't receive a stipend if you were doing a PHD?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by littlelee
It took me 5 days, got conditional offer on the 9th, and got accepted to my first choice college yesterday :smile:

Congratulations!! Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by littlelee
I see. I'm going to Churchchill (only if I get the funding). What's yours?

My first choice is Christ and second Darwin :smile:
I was accepted in the third week of January for my PhD and am waiting to hear back from colleges - does anyone know the sort of timeframe for application
Original post by Indeterminate
Actually it isn't, even though he's one of my favourite Hollywood personalities :biggrin:

Clue: this man is known to be the world's 2nd richest actor.

I would have never guessed it to be honest, I'm glad others have told me. :P Anyway, now my curiosity is satisfied. :biggrin:
Reply 1687
Original post by tj23
Congrats! Hope to see you at the Cavendish :biggrin: (need to secure funding as well...)

Re academic condition: I would call Graduate Admission and explain it. Maybe it wasn't obvious to them from your application.

Thank you! See you there if we get the funding :biggrin:
I did email them to ask about it and waiting for their response.
Hi Guys,

I would to congradulate the American Gates Cambridge Scholar-Elects. ( https://www.gatescambridge.org/our-scholars/new-scholars ). I hope we do have some on this group.
I can't ****ing believe it. I got Murray Edwards. I will now proceed to die. :angry:
That place looks like Chernobyl, please tell me there's a way to change colleges. :'(
Original post by omgwhat
That place looks like Chernobyl, please tell me there's a way to change colleges. :'(

At least it looks like Chernobyl before the disaster :biggrin:

On the bright side, you will get the chance to know how it is to live on a nuclear power plant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1692
Soo... I really messed up on my interview for the Physics part III and do not have much hope of receiving an offer from Cavendish, but on the other hand DAMPT came through with a conditional offer today!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Alexander I
At least it looks like Chernobyl before the disaster :biggrin:

On the bright side, you will get the chance to know how it is to live on a nuclear power plant.

Hahahahah, oh lord! **** my life totally. :h:
Original post by omgwhat

All jokes aside, my sincerest congratulations on the lovely news. I suppose one cannot have everything in life :wink:
Original post by omgwhat

I'm afraid you can't change once you've been accepted by a college, unless you're lucky enough to get a scholarship from a different college.
I'm sure you'll like ME once you're there & settled - as I said, it has some lovely accommodation, plus some beautiful gardens.
Original post by omgwhat
It doesn't have any couples accommodation so I can't even live on site. *sobs*

I'm sorry to hear that, though I'm sure you could find something not too far away from the main site if you wanted. Closer to the time, the university's accommodation service or the GU will be able to advise. I also forgot to say, ME is also the only college to give one free formal dinner to graduate students each week - I went a few times with a friend from my MPhil, and always had the best time.
Original post by omgwhat
I can't ****ing believe it. I got Murray Edwards. I will now proceed to die. :angry:

:console:

Unlucky :redface:

It's still Cambridge, though! :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1698
What's wrong with Murray Edwards? Except for the non-existent couples accommodation and alleged Chernobyl resemblance?
Original post by omgwhat

Even if you had been allocated an older college, I don't think you'd be able to live in 'halls'. You'd most likely live in a place that resembles a block of flats designed by a 1970s architect.

I'm going to Jesus and I can tell you that the accommodation is similar to Murray Edwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending