The Student Room Group

Ethics part e 12 mark question

How would you answer a question over which the churches have no divide?
I am trying to use the some people think... other people think... I think ... structure but I am struggling to think of different opinions
The question is "religious people should never be wealthy" you should include different, supported points of view and a personal viewpoint. You must refer to Christianity in the answer.

Any feedback/help would be great
Reply 1
"Religious people should never be wealthy"

For
If Christians are wealthy then they are not following "love thy neighbour" as if they did they would donate their wealth to aid others
Charity is also key within religion and again, if they are wealthy it means that they are being selfish and not sharing their wealth.
It says in the Bible that those who do not help the poor will not go to heaven.
Muslims would also agree with the statement because in the Qur'an it says "whoever eats while his brother goes hungry is not one of us...a follower of Allah". To prove themselves as being true followers they would donate their money.
A libertarian would argue that by giving away their wealth a religious person would make a majority happier.

Against
If a religious person has come across money through their hard work surely they deserve to keep it.
Discriminating against religious people.
If I was a religious person I wouldn't want to share my money, if people are poor they should help themselves instead of accepting charity off others.

Not too sure but here are some points...hope I helped :/
Original post by asox
"Religious people should never be wealthy"

For
If Christians are wealthy then they are not following "love thy neighbour" as if they did they would donate their wealth to aid others
Charity is also key within religion and again, if they are wealthy it means that they are being selfish and not sharing their wealth.
It says in the Bible that those who do not help the poor will not go to heaven.
Muslims would also agree with the statement because in the Qur'an it says "whoever eats while his brother goes hungry is not one of us...a follower of Allah". To prove themselves as being true followers they would donate their money.
A libertarian would argue that by giving away their wealth a religious person would make a majority happier.

Against
If a religious person has come across money through their hard work surely they deserve to keep it.
Discriminating against religious people.
If I was a religious person I wouldn't want to share my money, if people are poor they should help themselves instead of accepting charity off others.

Not too sure but here are some points...hope I helped :/

Thanks, you really helped! :smile:
Reply 3
Hey, I'm thinking about dong philosophy and ethics GCSE is it good ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really enjoyed it and the course is really interesting, the only downside (of OCR) is the narrow grade boundaries, 3 marks between an A and A* so every mark counts!

I think that if you are good at essay writing and find the course interesting its a good option.
Just out of interest what other subjects are you thinking of doing at GCSE?
Reply 5
Original post by georginarowley
I really enjoyed it and the course is really interesting, the only downside (of OCR) is the narrow grade boundaries, 3 marks between an A and A* so every mark counts!

I think that if you are good at essay writing and find the course interesting its a good option.
Just out of interest what other subjects are you thinking of doing at GCSE?

History geography ICT triple science and 2 English plus maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vn2410
History geography ICT triple science and 2 English plus maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've found that generally speaking, people who are good at history as well found the longer written answers easier at the start of the course. However as a geography student who was getting less than 50% on the first part of the course, I can happily say that improvement does happen! I think the only reason history students might find it easier to start with is because the way of writing long answers is quite similar (apparently). If you choose it as a GCSE and struggle at the start, remember that ut takes longer for it to click for some people.

As soon as we did started philosophy, my long answer came together and I went from a C/D to an A. I am now predicted at least an A and feel relatively confident about philosophy and ethics.

Hope this helped a bit, good luck in the GCSEs :smile:
Reply 7
I've found that generally speaking, people who are good at history as well found the longer written answers easier at the start of the course. However as a geography student who was getting less than 50% on the first part of the course, I can happily say that improvement does happen! I think the only reason history students might find it easier to start with is because the way of writing long answers is quite similar (apparently). If you choose it as a GCSE and struggle at the start, remember that ut takes longer for it to click for some people.

As soon as we did started philosophy, my long answer came together and I went from a C/D to an A. I am now predicted at least an A and feel relatively confident about philosophy and ethics.

Hope this helped a bit, good luck in the GCSEs :smile:

Thanks at the moment I'm 2 As in geography and RS and A* in history and highest in the year in the latter 2 I'm so passionate fir then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vn2410
Thanks at the moment I'm 2 As in geography and RS and A* in history and highest in the year in the latter 2 I'm so passionate fir then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow those are amazing grades! I think whatever GCSEs you end up doing you'll do great, hope they go well :smile:
Reply 9
Wow those are amazing grades! I think whatever GCSEs you end up doing you'll do great, hope they go well :smile:

Thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest