The Student Room Group

good sites for booking holidays?

first ever holiday and were planning on going to Barcelona, Spain. has anyone got good sites and/or tips? good places to visit in Barcelona?

looking at airbnb at the moment but id like to keep options open

Scroll to see replies

Were you going to book flights and hotel or a package holiday?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Were you going to book flights and hotel or a package holiday?

probably just flights and hotel
Personally, I'd go through hotel chains rather than independent ones. At last you know what they're like then. Not been to Barcelona, do can't hel any further, sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
Personally, I'd go through hotel chains rather than independent ones. At last you know what they're like then. Not been to Barcelona, do can't hel any further, sorry.

thats fine, thankyou :smile:
expedia.com has always served me well

Take the cable car up to Montjuic Castle: http://www.tmb.cat/en/teleferic-de-montjuic
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
expedia.com has always served me well

Take the cable car up to Montjuic Castle: http://www.tmb.cat/en/teleferic-de-montjuic

thankyou :smile:
that was one site i was looking at too :smile:
has anyone been to the zoo?
Original post by shawtyb
thankyou :smile:
that was one site i was looking at too :smile:
has anyone been to the zoo?

No, but it's easy to find.
Have a paella on the beach. Do the sightseeing tourist bus. Get lost in the Gothic Quarter, where the nicest little shops are. If football is your thing, then Camp Nou is apparently marvellous. Go and look at the Olympic stadium as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
No, but it's easy to find.
Have a paella on the beach. Do the sightseeing tourist bus. Get lost in the Gothic Quarter, where the nicest little shops are. If football is your thing, then Camp Nou is apparently marvellous. Go and look at the Olympic stadium as well.

oo thankyou :smile: what is the gothic quarter?
Original post by shawtyb
oo thankyou :smile: what is the gothic quarter?

It's the old part in the centre of the town, round the cathedral.
I stayed at the Casa Gracia Hostel (casagraciabcn.com) which is quite central and close to public transport (Diagonal tube station) and it was alright, but apparently it has really changed, according to the pics on the website... (to the better)
You should definitely go up Montjuic, you get a stunning view over Barcelona! And the touristy stuff like Park Güell, Sagrada Familia, Las Ramblas, El Mercat de la Boqueria (you can get good fruit and smoothies for cheap), Plaza Catalunya, Barrio Gotico, Barceloneta Beach... is really worth it!

And always look out for pickpockets, there really are a lot of them in Barcelona...
Reply 11
It's the old part in the centre of the town, round the cathedral.

is it actually al gothicy? is it a sight seeing attraction
Reply 12
I usually book through expedia or last minute for flight and hotel. I'm planning a trip to Barcelona too, I did quite a lot of research and decided I wanted to stay in the Las Ramblas area, it seems like it's always buzzing.
Reply 13
Original post by Adelemyqueen
I stayed at the Casa Gracia Hostel (casagraciabcn.com) which is quite central and close to public transport (Diagonal tube station) and it was alright, but apparently it has really changed, according to the pics on the website... (to the better)
You should definitely go up Montjuic, you get a stunning view over Barcelona! And the touristy stuff like Park Güell, Sagrada Familia, Las Ramblas, El Mercat de la Boqueria (you can get good fruit and smoothies for cheap), Plaza Catalunya, Barrio Gotico,... is really worth it!

And always look out for pickpockets, there really are a lot of them in Barcelona...

i do like smoothies! yum

and thanks, il keep all our stuff in my bag and close to my chest
Reply 14
Original post by aarora
I usually book through expedia or last minute for flight and hotel. I'm planning a trip to Barcelona too, I did quite a lot of research and decided I wanted to stay in the Las Ramblas area, it seems like it's always buzzing.

i like places with a strong energy flow too :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
is it actually al gothicy? is it a sight seeing attraction

Well, it's gothic architecture, not full of gloomy teens in black, if that is what you are thinking. It's where the little old quirky streets are.
Reply 16
Well, it's gothic architecture, not full of gloomy teens in black, if that is what you are thinking. It's where the little old quirky streets are.

i like quirky :smile: ty for the suggestion
Lastminute
Hey! DO NOT BOOK THROUGH LASTMINUTE.com
Horrendous customer service, we booked flights with them via Swiss and they didn't confirm our flight...in the end we were battling with them for a week trying to get a refund...
If you want to book flights online, stick with the relevant airlines website and book direct through them. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by homeland.lsw
Hey! DO NOT BOOK THROUGH LASTMINUTE.com
Horrendous customer service, we booked flights with them via Swiss and they didn't confirm our flight...in the end we were battling with them for a week trying to get a refund...
If you want to book flights online, stick with the relevant airlines website and book direct through them. :smile:

ooh that dont sound good ! id rather book in advanced anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest