The Student Room Group

Is it illegal not to be on the electoral register?

Like most 16-18 year olds may have, I recently got a letter in the post about registering to vote.

I was sent a form with plenty of details about myself to fill in along with a threat of a possible £80 fine if I don't return the form.
Is it illegal not to be on there?
yep, you can be fined, my best friend had someone knocking on her door when she didnt enroll and was fined on the spot
Apparently so
I'm a little scared because a while ago I was sent a letter to register to vote, which I lost so failed to do. But now, we've just been sent the voting things, and they sent me one too?...

A little confused, can anyone help or clarify what's going on?
anon, ring them
Original post by Justmoll28
yep, you can be fined, my best friend had someone knocking on her door when she didnt enroll and was fined on the spot

Oh, damn! Perhaps I should get filling out the form then.. Lol
Original post by Anonymous
Apparently so
I'm a little scared because a while ago I was sent a letter to register to vote, which I lost so failed to do. But now, we've just been sent the voting things, and they sent me one too?...

A little confused, can anyone help or clarify what's going on?

Don't sweat it, losing the letter isn't the end of the world. You can still register online.
Original post by QueenOfSheba
Oh, damn! Perhaps I should get filling out the form then.. Lol

yeah she had to get her mum to pay because she didnt have £80 there and then..
Original post by QueenOfSheba
Don't sweat it, losing the letter isn't the end of the world. You can still register online.

Oh okay thanks
Do you know the link?
Reply 8
Just register yourself online: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Takes 5 minutes, and if you happen to be already registered it won't do any harm.
No. It is not illegal not to register to vote.

Also, these posts are very worrying because it should not cost anything to vote.

If you receive a letter threatening a fine IT IS A SCAM!

You an also register to vote anonymously. I.e, your name does not need to actually be visible on the electoral register, but you will still be sent a polling card when elections are coming up.

Go to the government website which is:

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Simples!

Registering to vote in the uk is FREE. If anybody asks for money they're fraudsters.
And you don't have to be on the electoral register. Or, you can be but say that you don't want to be on the Open register.

Just go to https://www.gov.co.uk/register-to-vote
i'm not on there
as i never had either NI or register to vote so i don't exist according to them
Reply 12

Lmao, so much wrong with this response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending