What modules have you completed and are currently doing :smile:

Ooh right

AS: C1, C2, C3, M1, S1, FP1

A2: (C4, D1, S2, M2, M3) - done, (FP2, FP3, M4, M5) - doing
Original post by Student403
Ooh right

AS: C1, C2, C3, M1, S1, FP1

A2: (C4, D1, S2, M2, M3) - done, (FP2, FP3, M4, M5) - doing

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn nice man! Didn't like stats? :tongue: You applying for maths btw?
Original post by Imperion
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn nice man! Didn't like stats? :tongue: You applying for maths btw?

Reply 363
Update:

Finished FP3 vectors. Went through all 20 of the mixed exercises. Got it all correct except for Q15 where my method was wonky. I don't think I'd have thought of using area to find length, that'll teach me to draw more diagrams in the future! I've noticed that I get confused between which form of lines/planes they want me to give. I made the 'mistake' of writing the vector form of a line/plane as (r-a) x p = a x p and r.n = d instead of r = a + ub or r = a + ub + sc.

Did Ayman's vectors test, it was fairly straightforward. Got full marks on that, yay!

Otherwise - putting the work on pause for a bit, going out for dinner. Probably read over matrices and try some questions out when I'm back.
Original post by Zacken
Update:

Finished FP3 vectors. Went through all 20 of the mixed exercises. Got it all correct except for Q15 where my method was wonky. I don't think I'd have thought of using area to find length, that'll teach me to draw more diagrams in the future! I've noticed that I get confused between which form of lines/planes they want me to give. I made the 'mistake' of writing the vector form of a line/plane as (r-a) x p = a x p and r.n = d instead of r = a + ub or r = a + ub + sc.

Did Ayman's vectors test, it was fairly straightforward. Got full marks on that, yay!

Otherwise - putting the work on pause for a bit, going out for dinner. Probably read over matrices and try some questions out when I'm back.

genius.............Vectors in a day:redface:

bon appetite
Original post by Zacken
Update:

:woo:

Told you it was quite nice!

Matrices won't take much time, pretty nice and easy chapter!

Have a nice dinner - date night? :tongue:
Reply 366
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
:woo:

Told you it was quite nice!

Matrices won't take much time, pretty nice and easy chapter!

Have a nice dinner - date night? :tongue:

Thanks. :biggrin:

Family. :tongue:
date night? :tongue:

laughable
Reply 368
Matrices time! Will update once I've covered a fair bit. :yep:
Reply 369
Update:

Done more procrastinating than I should have, had lunch - covered 3×33\times 3 matrices, transpose and symmetric matrices, determinants of 3×33 \times 3 matrices as well as inverses of 3×33\times 3 matrices. I wasn't very impressed with the latter given the highly algorithmical way it was presented so I went off and learnt Jordan-Gauss which made intuitive sense and I could understand how using J-G led to the inverse. Unfortunately, I've been told that the usual algorithmical way to do is is asked for specifically in the exam, so I suppose I'll have to learn it now. It looks really tedious and messy.

A lot of the results so far make sense if you treat matrices as elements of a group, so for example: (AB)1=B1A1(AB)^{-1} = B^{-1}A^{-1} is a given. Knowing how/when to post/pre-multiply is also natural if you think in terms of groups. Overall, fairly happy so far - just need to skim through a bit more and I should be done with the chapter in a bit.
Reply 370
Update:

Covered linear transforms. Much of this chapter seems to be tedious calculation, I'm not enjoying it at all. I feel fairly confident with transforming point to points, lines to lines and planes to planes given non-singular transformation matrices. I'm still trying to come to intuitive grips with transforming planes to lines given singular matrix transforms. Finding the matrix version of an algebraic transform is okay as well, that one makes sense. Moving on to inverting linear transform now.
Original post by Zacken
Update:

Covered linear transforms. Much of this chapter seems to be tedious calculation, I'm not enjoying it at all. I feel fairly confident with transforming point to points, lines to lines and planes to planes given non-singular transformation matrices. I'm still trying to come to intuitive grips with transforming planes to lines given singular matrix transforms. Finding the matrix version of an algebraic transform is okay as well, that one makes sense. Moving on to inverting linear transform now.

Reply 372

It'd be funnier if I didn't know that you already understand and know all of this FP3 shiz. :colonhash:
Original post by Zacken
It'd be funnier if I didn't know that you already understand and know all of this FP3 shiz. :colonhash:

I understand that it exists - and that's about it :laugh:
Reply 374
I understand that it exists - and that's about it :laugh:

That's enough for any mathematician. :wink:
Original post by Zacken
That's enough for any mathematician. :wink:

If only :emo:
If only :emo:

Shhhh, we're engineers, we just need to apply it...

Oh, right! Yes!

Leave the hard work of getting there to those mathmos :rolleyes:
Reply 378

Oh, right! Yes!

Leave the hard work of getting there to those mathmos :rolleyes:

Ganging up, are we? :rolleyes:
Original post by Zacken
Ganging up, are we? :rolleyes:

:innocent:

Just please don't make us learn it from first principles!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending