The Student Room Group

PSIA/SOAS/Sussex/LSE for postgraduate study

Hi,
I have gotten into the following courses for Master beginning Spetmebr 2016:
1. University of Sussex: MA in Governance and Development
2. SOAS: Development Studies
3. Sciences PO/PSIA: Masters in International Development
I'm also waiting to hear from LSE - Msc in Development Management/ Development Studies.
As an international student coming from India, which would be the best university for me? Major factors include:
1.College Ranking/ Reputation
2. Funding/scholarships available available: As of now I have no scholarship offers from any university
3. Cost of Living / total cost in one year
4. Career opportunities/ Placements directly out of university (esp. for internatioanl students)
Any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks!'

Edit: I got accepted into LSE for Development Managment. But no news yet on any scholarships!
(edited 8 years ago)
LSE if they accept you
Sorry if this sounds a bit obvious, but which course do you want to do the most?

Don't get blinded by the 'brand name' of the Uni. Its all 'marketing' and counts for nothing if you get there and realise the course was never what you wanted. If you havn't done this already then look at the course descriptions and all the optional units on offer in detail, what extras are on offer like units from other subjects, plus research interests of the teaching staff. Which course will hold your interest the most?

Also, ask yourself why you want to do postgrad - ie. what knowledge do you need for employment in a particular area, or is this just to work in more depth on particular subjects etc.

In terms of living costs, what can you afford? It will definitely cost you far more to live in London or Paris than at Brighton And can you speak French - even if the course is in English, will you be able to cope outside class? There are very few scholarships for Development Studies as most overseas students will be sponsored by their own government or employer - is it really worth the cost right now, or could you get yourself a job at home with an organisation that might eventually provide sponsorship?

Employment in the UK for overseas graduates is now getting very difficult. If this is your only reason for studying in the UK then it's probably a total waste of time/money.
(edited 8 years ago)
LSE is miles ahead of all your other options, in every factor you consider important, in my humble opinion.

LSE's reputation internationally is second to only Oxbridge in the UK. Given the factors you consider important to you, I strongly advise opting for LSE should you be given an offer.

Other users may devalue concepts such as "prestige" and "reputation", but I strongly disagree. There's a compelling reason why many internationally successful firms and organisations pool most of their candidates from the top universities.

Although certain users may like to think "reputation" and "prestige" are meaningless concepts, I'm afraid a university's brand carries considerable weight.

Not only this, given the fees international students pay, it's reasonable to consider the factors you hold important.
Just want to reiterate LSE is on a complete different level to your other choices, don't be blinded by rankings etc.

LSE is the absolute best uni you can go to for your course the only time it even becomes a question is when it is against the likes of oxbridge.

You're doing an MSc not an undergrad degree, you need to he pragmatic in your university choice and abandon this wishy washy where will I enjoy studying an identical/similar course more nonsense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Actually, Sciences Po is a very good school, and in the social sciences world it is definitely very close to LSE. (I got admitted for LSE, and didn't get in Sciences Po, which was my first choice) So to say that LSE is a complete different level as the others is simply not true.

I have lived in Paris and say that in terms of French language and living costs - you will be fine without knowing any French language, as French people do speak English and Sciences Po is very international, so you will most likely make friends through the school. Furthermore, they provide French lessons there, so you can pick up some French while studying. Living costs in Paris are also smaller than London (especially living which is still expensive in Paris, but you can find places that are within normal ranges, in London.. not so much hehe). - Thats in regards to LSE and SOAS.

Although, SOAS is no LSE, they are very well known for Development Studies, so any potential employer in that area will know it regardlessly. SOAS also has some program specific scholarships available, including ones that are abroad funds made for specific countries students (maybe something for you as an Indian student?).

I don't know anything about University of Sussex, and as you are an International student I would suggest not going there, if you do end up moving away from the UK, most people will now know it. So if you do get accepted at LSE I think your choice is more like - LSE, Sciences Po, SOAS. Although, others are so keen on LSE, as a admitted student I can assure that I would also have a hard time choosing.
Reply 6
Original post by vaishnaviii
Hi,
I have gotten into the following courses for Master beginning Spetmebr 2016:
1. University of Sussex: MA in Governance and Development
2. SOAS: Development Studies
3. Sciences PO/PSIA: Masters in International Development
I'm also waiting to hear from LSE - Msc in Development Management/ Development Studies.
As an international student coming from India, which would be the best university for me? Major factors include:
1.College Ranking/ Reputation
2. Funding/scholarships available available: As of now I have no scholarship offers from any university
3. Cost of Living / total cost in one year
4. Career opportunities/ Placements directly out of university (esp. for internatioanl students)
Any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks!'

Edit: I got accepted into LSE for Development Managment. But no news yet on any scholarships!

Hi Vaishnavi,
LSE is a brilliant school and will open new vistas for future prospects irrespective of the sector you would be interested to work in. SOAS also has got very got credentials when it come to Development Sector and graduates from SOAS are sought after in NGO sector. Science PO is a good institute but Paris is going to be difficult without a good working knowledge of French.

Based on this you may consider LSE or SOAS in the same order,
BTW, I see that you have posted the same query in GradCafe as well. Hope you take an informed decision soon.
Reply 7
Original post by Nikhil_D
Hi Vaishnavi,
LSE is a brilliant school and will open new vistas for future prospects irrespective of the sector you would be interested to work in. SOAS also has got very got credentials when it come to Development Sector and graduates from SOAS are sought after in NGO sector. Science PO is a good institute but Paris is going to be difficult without a good working knowledge of French.

Based on this you may consider LSE or SOAS in the same order,
BTW, I see that you have posted the same query in GradCafe as well. Hope you take an informed decision soon.

Hi Nikhil!
I think I want to work with an international organisation/ a development consultancy post my graduation. I am seriously considering Sciences Po because I do have rudimentary knwodlege of french, and in fact learning a new language - especially one as important as french - is a reason I want to study in Paris. I'm worried that LSE and SOAS are courses too short in duration (only 1 year) as compared to Sciences Po's 2 years. Plus UK is going to send me back to India the day I finish my studies consdiering their stringent new visa policies, while France will let me stay back.
Do you have any information of the International Development course at Sciences Po/ or about the PSIA's repuation in this field? Do you think there are any highly compelling reasons I should not consider Sciences Po? LSE and SOAS are also much more expensive as compared to France, and since I havent heard about funding I'm afraid I won't get the expected returns on my degree.
Thanks!
PS. Yes! I have posted the same on GradCafe. I'm looking for any adivce I may get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending