The Student Room Group

Why did I never make it past the online application stage? (TC/Vac Scheme)

Good evening everyone,

I am a third year undergraduate of UEA and will commence shortly
applying for yet another round of Training Contracts (as last year I did not manage
to secure even an interview).
I currently have a mid/high 2:1 and have 4 legal work experience placements as well as a considerable variety of extra curricular activities ranging from sports to volunteering.
Last year I failed miserably my TC applications as well as 3/4 Vac Scheme apps as well.
Despite spending lots of time on the applications and having applied to 12/15 firms I never made it past the online application stage thus never reaching the interview stage.
This is becoming quite frustrating. I have chosen to do a Master's next year (in order to "fill in the gap" until 2018, but I must do all in my power to succeed in obtaining a training contract this time around.
I am interested in top commercial firms (national or international), I know it is an extremely competitive process, though what I find mind bogging is that despite I meet and go beyond the required criteria I have never even obtained an interview. Is this a common thing? Is this the time to start worrying? Also, what is your opinion on my choice to apply for a Master's next year?
Any help/opinions/tips are more than welcome! I also signed up today :smile:
Regards,
Anthony
yes I do meet the UCAS Criteria (I have 457 UCAS points).

At the moment, I have never been able to obtain any feedback as I have never gone past the online application stage.

I am interested in doing a Masters (and am applying to top Uni's), but it is at the same time the only thing I know of that can "fill a year" until a possible LPC in 2017
Original post by J-SP
Send me a copy of one of your apps - I'll probably be able to highlight what you can improve on.

There's a lot of things you can do in the year "off". Working is probably more interesting to some firms than doing a masters.

Thank you very much for your time and help. Do I need to send you a pm, or should I add you on Skype? I am not very familiar with this website (I joined today), what works best for you?
[QUOTE=J-SP;62751249]Upload an app to a file sharing site like Dropbox and send me a link via a PM on here. I'll have a look over it and respond with feedback via PM on here too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey J-SP. I just received a rejection from SPB (Vacation Scheme). Is there any chance you could critique my application?

Thank you in advance, really appreciate it.
You will get better at the apps. It can be a bit of a journey to ed's a TC.

I did, I think three rounds, making various applications, and I started to see better results.

Basically, keep plugging away.

I am much more if a 'work' person than an academic, so I can't really understand why you wouldn't get a job 'to plug the gap'.

Or just keep going getting legal work ex, perhaps something longer form

this will be something that you can speak about in your apps that will give you more knowledge.

It is a tough process getting a TC, even if in paper you have all the credentials

I know students can suffer a bit in their apps all 'looking the same' on paper eg same results, same sort of work exp. using your next year wisely could really help you with this.

lastly, I don't think you say, have you ever had a job? If not, I would think about doing something, no matter what, part time.

Just keep the faith and keep bashing away and you will get there 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending