The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3: Elements of the Gothic - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Hi,

For those of you who have studied Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, I was wondering if you had any movie recommendations? Which interpretations do you think are truest to the text if any?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
Hi,

For those of you who have studied Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, I was wondering if you had any movie recommendations? Which interpretations do you think are truest to the text if any?

It's really hard to judge and I haven't seen (m)any but all I can say is don't watch the 2015 one, it really is a shambles.
Reply 2
Original post by retardis
It's really hard to judge and I haven't seen (m)any but all I can say is don't watch the 2015 one, it really is a shambles.

Is that the one with Daniel Radcliffe? I saw the theatre production with Benedict Cumberbatch and that was amazing but I dunno, my teacher said they're all pretty useless apart from that because they all portray things very wrongly, i.e. the Creature as this overwhelmingly violent, hateful, monster, which he isn't.

Have you seen the Kenneth Branagh version?
my teacher said they're all pretty useless

I heard the same things. They also add characters that aren't in the novel.

You shouldn't need films anyhow. Just focus on the book.
Reply 4
Original post by Freddy Eddy
I heard the same things. They also add characters that aren't in the novel.

You shouldn't need films anyhow. Just focus on the book.

I don't need films. I just would like films. For other interpretations and stuff. I've read the text about four times.
I don't need films. I just would like films. For other interpretations and stuff. I've read the text about four times.

Yeah sure that's fine. How faithful was the theatre production to the plot?

Sorry if I came across as a bit of an arse btw
Reply 6
Original post by Freddy Eddy
Yeah sure that's fine. How faithful was the theatre production to the plot?

Sorry if I came across as a bit of an arse btw

You didn't. :smile:

I thought it was very faithful. Of course there were cuts and things added but minor.
I thought the Kenneth Branagh version was very interesting, it was very similar in a lot of ways but the ending had a very different interpretation (I dont want to spoil it for you if you are unfamiliar but feel free to ask if you want to) im doing the same exam! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks is very funny - but also quite unfaithful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending