The Student Room Group

Help with an oscillation question (Physics)

A 0.500 kg mass suspended from a spring oscillates with a period of 1.5 s. How much much must be added to the object to change the period to 2s?

Seems like an easy question but I for some reason can not solve it. Would appreciate a worked answer. Thanks

T=2pi*root(m/k)
T=time period
m=mass
k=force required to produce unit extension K=F/x

Also these:
f=1/T
T=t/n

If there is something that is unclear please tell me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by slymme
A 0.500 kg mass suspended from a spring oscillates with a period of 1.5 s. How much much must be added to the object to change the period to 2s?

Seems like an easy question but I for some reason can not solve it. Would appreciate a worked answer. Thanks

What formula could you use to link the period of the oscillation to the mass?
Reply 2
Original post by samb1234
What formula could you use to link the period of the oscillation to the mass?

updated description :smile:
Original post by slymme
updated description :smile:

Haha, i think you misunderstood me. I know how to do this question, I'm just trying to guide you through it so that you can work it out for yourself (and hence can work it out for yourself if you got stuck again) rather than just giving you the answer. You have all the formulas you need, but how could you go about changing 2=2pi root m/k, where both m and k are unknown into something you can solve
Reply 4
Haha, i think you misunderstood me. I know how to do this question, I'm just trying to guide you through it so that you can work it out for yourself (and hence can work it out for yourself if you got stuck again) rather than just giving you the answer. You have all the formulas you need, but how could you go about changing 2=2pi root m/k, where both m and k are unknown into something you can solve

I think i did misunderstand you:h:. Anyway, I do not know what to do with the K. otherwise I would be able to solve this.
Original post by slymme
I think i did misunderstand you:h:. Anyway, I do not know what to do with the K. otherwise I would be able to solve this.

Why not consider the first situation (before you add any mass) and see if that might help you
Reply 6
Why not consider the first situation (before you add any mass) and see if that might help you

I think I got the answer (0.388kg). Thanks for the help!
Original post by slymme
I think I got the answer (0.388kg). Thanks for the help!

No worries, glad I could help
Reply 8
OK, it's a while since I've done any of this so double check it just in case, but here's what I think:-

With smaller mass , t=2pi*root(m/k) . So, rearrange this to find k=(4pi*pi*m)/(t*t)

Now, let new mass = M and new period = T. So, New period T = 2pi*root(M/k).

Rearrange this to show M=(k*T*T)/(4pi*pi).

Now substitute the equation above for k to get M=(m*T*T)/(t*t) and substitute real values for m=0.5, T=2, and t=1.5 to get M= 0.889kg.

So increase in mass is 0.389kg.
Reply 9
Sorry - you beat me to it!! I took so long typing it out :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Teenie2
Sorry - you beat me to it!! I took so long typing it out :biggrin:

haha its the effort that counts

Quick Reply

Latest