The Student Room Group

How to Choose Law Options

Hi does anyone have advice on how to choose which law options to take?

Should I consider what is useful for my preferred practice area in my future career/ what I can do well academically in/ pure interest?

For example, I get the impression Family Law is an "easier" subject so would it be wise to take that sort of option to secure a good grade, despite it not being very useful in most corporate law firms? Do law firms actually care what electives you took or is it only the grades that matter?

Would appreciate all advice on how you decided on your options, thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wednesbury
Hi does anyone have advice on how to choose which law options to take?

Should I consider what is useful for my preferred practice area in my future career/ what I can do well academically in/ pure interest?

For example, I get the impression Family Law is an "easier" subject so would it be wise to take that sort of option to secure a good grade, despite it not being very useful in most corporate law firms? Do law firms actually care what electives you took or is it only the grades that matter?

Would appreciate all advice on how you decided on your options, thanks!

I think when you get to interview stage it's something law firms might question. It's quite difficult to advise on elective choices not least because we don't know what different modes of assessment they have, what your choices are etc.

I would've thought there should be a middle ground you could tread, e.g. IP, corporate governance etc. It doesn't need to be family law vs banking law.
Reply 2
Original post by TurboCretin
I think when you get to interview stage it's something law firms might question. It's quite difficult to advise on elective choices not least because we don't know what different modes of assessment they have, what your choices are etc.

I would've thought there should be a middle ground you could tread, e.g. IP, corporate governance etc. It doesn't need to be family law vs banking law.

Thanks for your reply!
Assuming that all the electives are assessed based on one final year exam, with variations in number of classes etc? Would the number of lectures/ seminars/ classes make any difference?

I'm wondering if electives like IP are too niche? Wouldn't it be more efficient taking a more general subject?

My choices are probably more on the private law side as compared to public law, mostly because I think it will be more useful in a corporate commercial law firm. Am considering commercial law/ company law/ competition law/ IP/ family law/ medical law/ maybe taxation law

May I know which electives did you take/ are going to take and how did you find them?
Thanks for your reply!
Assuming that all the electives are assessed based on one final year exam, with variations in number of classes etc? Would the number of lectures/ seminars/ classes make any difference?

Any difference to...firms' likelihood of hiring you? No. Although it might impact on the amount of time you can spend doing other things, like ECs and vac scheme applications.

I'm wondering if electives like IP are too niche? Wouldn't it be more efficient taking a more general subject?

You may have to explain this further, as I don't see how efficiency factors in to it. In any event, I don't see niche subjects being a problem in themselves. A main benefit of elective modules is that you can explore niche things.

My choices are probably more on the private law side as compared to public law, mostly because I think it will be more useful in a corporate commercial law firm. Am considering commercial law/ company law/ competition law/ IP/ family law/ medical law/ maybe taxation law

All fine. Even family would be okay (I think) if it was one odd module amongst a group of commercial-orientated choices.

May I know which electives did you take/ are going to take and how did you find them?

My own background won't help you much. I did a postgrad conversion (a masters, not the GDL), which meant I could only take one optional module. I chose corporate governance, for what it's worth. It was a very interesting course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending