The Student Room Group

Black, Polish girl, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callum_law
Hahaha, I didn't even need to translate that. The Oom-pah-pahs were sufficient clues.

:congrats:

have you considered a career in GCHQ ?

:rofl:
Original post by Blackstarr
My dad went there to study, its kind of a long story.

And I experienced indirect racism but my parents direct.

When you are young you don't really realise what racism really is until you are thought.

I have a friend whose half Egyptian half Polish and it was the same thing with her. Her dad came over to Poland to study,met the mum and when they were dating they always had racist abuse thrown at them.
Original post by theDanIdentity
OP, did you ever find out exactly why your parents moved from poland? i mean; it seems they were pretty settled into a country (for them to have raised you to a point in which you can easily recall living there; and to a point in which you're able to speak the polish language and to have some childhood memories from there); it must've taken something really drastic & sudden to force them move or something must've been constantly gnawing at them which eventually cause them to snap and to move.

describe the 'indirect discrimination' you recieved and any or all racism you saw/heard your parents subjected to (whether direct or indirect. whether as a story from your parents or something you experienced with your senses)

at what age did you move from poland? did you go to school there? were you able to make friends with the neighbours/was it a: 'ohh she's black. lets avoid her' type thing?

what's poland like? in the winter? summer? what makes the country stand out to you in the best light and the worst one (aside from the fact that it was your hometown)

i'm asking all this; as i plan to do an inter-rail thing and plan to travel to poland :P

you said there weren't any minorities anywhere. was this what you found out Everywhere? like; you can't tell me that you never met any one who wasn't polish.

finally, you said you speak polish. fluent or partial? and by your speaking their language; were they impressed by that fact or was it a 'why is an outsider speaking our dialect' aspect? how hostile were they towards you Before and After they learnt that you could understand what they were saying? lastly, did you ever catch any insulting you in their language; purely because they thought/assumed you couldn't speak it?

1. My parents wanted to study in the UK-long story
2. I came to the Uk at the age of 8
3. Some people would not want to sit next to me.
4. Poland in the winter is nothing compared to the winter in the UK, everywhere is flooded with snow. In the summer its hot just like here.
5. I like their food, all we have in the Uk is chips, fish, shepherds pie whereas in Poland we start with a soup, the dish and then desert, that is what I had in school there. There worst thing is the weather, I don't like snow and some people are like you should not be felling cold you were born in a cold country.
6. In my class there was only one ethnic minority-a Chinese girls, that's it apart from me of course.
7. I speak Polish partial-I only lived there for 8 years but I can hold a basic to intermediate level conversation with a Polish person. People were fascinated and some in the UK still are. For instance, my teacher at school said she has never met a black person who can speak Polish. And with regards to the language, it was not like they thought "an outsider is speaking our language".
8. Some polish people, mostly drunkards will say the word "Kurva" which is sometimes directed at foreigners and there is this Polish poem called "Murzynek bamboo" which is racists and directed at black people. Some Polish people are so ignorant until they come to the UK.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I have a friend whose half Egyptian half Polish and it was the same thing with her. Her dad came over to Poland to study,met the mum and when they were dating they always had racist abuse thrown at them.

Yep, I know other people with similar situations.

Polish people like to stick to their own, they won't allow interracial relationships.
Original post by Blank_Planet
It scares me how some of you see Poland, seriously we're not a third world country, bit behind the West, but its still Europe...

However, answering some of the question that have been asked here: Poland is a VERY homogeneous country. I think 98% of the population is ethnic Polish and also a majority is Christian Catholic. That's because the communists moved hundreds of thousands of people after WWII to fit the new borders (most have nothing to do with our history, just Stalin's random ideas). Also, communists suppressed individualism and pretty much everything that did not fit the Party propaganda, so many local features and traditions have been lost. A good example are accents: a Londoner can tell whether sb is from Manchester, Birmingham or Glasgow simply by how a person speaks. I would not be able to do so, since everybody speaks in the same way.

Finally, a word to the OP: Wrocław is a brilliant city, I spent 2 weeks there during these holidays and enjoyed it very much :smile: Though, I have to say that it looks very German (and it actually used to be).

:smile:
Original post by sara3298
Hey i'm half Polish (from Warszawa) and half Libyan! I'm a Muslim and when people find out about where i'm from they either find it cool or give me a 'wtf are you serious?' face. Do you ever get that? I'm just wondering :smile: Also i have dark hair and eyes and slightly tanned skin so when i go to Poland, People just stare :/

Most people are intrigued even one of my teachers was like" I have never met a black person who can speak Polish" and my reaction was like, "its not juts me, here are others also.

I don't know of nay Polish Muslims, I don't think there are any apart from those in interracial relationships.

And yeah, you will get stared at, including me if I was to ever go back because I am full black.

Can you speak Polish?
Original post by _icecream
Have you experienced racism there?

Yeah, there is this poem called " Murzynek bamboo" which is directed at black people. Some people in school have chanted this to me.
Me too:smile:
Original post by The Diplomat.
Are you a black polish girl or a polish black girl?

??

I am a black girl who was born in Poland.
Original post by loveleest
Did you enjoy living there?

It was alright, but I did not like the weather.
Original post by Blackstarr
Yeah, there is this poem called " Murzynek bamboo" which is directed at black people. Some people in school have chanted this to me.

Jokes on them.

Poland is a chithole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the bear
:congrats:

have you considered a career in GCHQ ?

:rofl:

I have and in fact I was quite a senior lad at the Doughnut, quite senior indeed. Tragically, I "squandered" the Govt's precious yet mis-aligned resources and averted their surveilling gaze from terrorists and Soviet spies to you and your magically mysterious life, which only served to confirm my love for thee evermore. Suffice to say my internship was terminated prematurely.
I have and in fact I was quite a senior lad at the Doughnut, quite senior indeed. Tragically, I "squandered" the Govt's precious yet mis-aligned resources and averted their surveilling gaze from terrorists and Soviet spies to you and your magically mysterious life, which only served to confirm my love for thee evermore. Suffice to say my internship was terminated prematurely.

tbh irl my existence is both boring and tragic. it is much more fun here :colondollar:
tbh irl my existence is both boring and tragic. it is much more fun here :colondollar:

Such lies. A bear with UC scores as great as yours cannot be said to be boring nor tragic, even if your polyglottism is somewhat lacking.
Such lies. A bear with UC scores as great as yours cannot be said to be boring nor tragic, even if your polyglottism is somewhat lacking.

UC was cancelled tonite :cry: ....like we all need to celebrate Chinese New Year

:mad:
UC was cancelled tonite :cry: ....like we all need to celebrate Chinese New Year

:mad:

At times like these, we can all understand why multiculturalism does not belong in Blighty. Did you sit down, with your bottle of real ale, awaiting UC only to be told by the announcer that CNY had reared its ugly hell in UC's place?
At times like these, we can all understand why multiculturalism does not belong in Blighty. Did you sit down, with your bottle of real ale, awaiting UC only to be told by the announcer that CNY had reared its ugly hell in UC's place?

i was dressed in my Beefeater outfit with my special pen & the buzzer which i made myself... Vera Lynn was singing plaintively in the background
:cry2:
i was dressed in my Beefeater outfit with my special pen & the buzzer which i made myself... Vera Lynn was singing plaintively in the background
:cry2:

I laughed so hard at this! Hahahhaa. Great work, bear.

At least you can use your special pen and buzzer, whilst wearing your wonky Beefeater hat, next week. Extra excitement might even ensue.
(edited 8 years ago)
I laughed so hard at this! Hahahhaa. Great work, bear.

At least you can use your special pen and buzzer, whilst wearing your wonky Beefeater hat, next week. Extra excitement might even ensue.

Beefeater costumes ftw :ahee:

Beefeater costumes ftw :ahee:

Hot damn. I never thought I'd say this, but vegans ftw.

Quick Reply

Latest