The Student Room Group

Algebra groups

image.jpeg
Hi, I'm having a problem with proving that the associative th property and finding an identity element for this?
Any help will be much appreciated
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by maths10101
image.jpeg
Hi, I'm having a problem with proving that the associative th property and finding an identity element for this?
Any help will be much appreciated

I'm not DFranklin or Ghostwalker, but I'll have a bash anyway:

Associativity: Let's compute:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}(a * b) * c = \left(a + (-1)^a b\right) * c = a + (-1)^a b + (-1)^{a + (-1)^a b}c\end{equation*}

Now let's do:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}a * (b*c) = a * \left(b + (-1)^b c\right) = a + (-1)^{a} \left(b + (-1)^{b}c\right)\end{equation*}

Now try expanding the above out and using your indices rule to show that it's the same as the first equation.

Does this help?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
I'm not DFranklin or Ghostwalker, but I'll have a bash anyway:

Associativity: Let's compute:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}(a * b) * c = \left(a + (-1)^a b\right) * c = a + (-1)^a b + (-1)^{a + (-1)^a b}c\end{equation*}

Now let's do:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}a * (b*c) = a * \left(b + (-1)^b c\right) = a + (-1)^{a} \left(b + (-1)^{b}c\right)\end{equation*}

Now try expanding the above out and using your indices rule to show that it's the same as the first equation.

Does this help?

Hi yeah, that's great thanks! I got the answer in the end and comparing my work to yours has made me certain it's correct...thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by maths10101
Hi yeah, that's great thanks! I got the answer in the end and comparing my work to yours has made me certain it's correct...thanks!

Do you still need help with the identity, or...?
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Do you still need help with the identity, or...?

Nah that's fine, I got the identity as being 0 bro

Quick Reply

Latest