The Student Room Group

Government to ban boycotting Israeli settlement goods.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/israel-boycott-local-councils-public-bodies-and-student-unions-to-be-banned-from-shunning-israeli-a6874006.html

Student unions, local councils, NHS trusts. etc, will now no longer be able to boycott products made in Israel, including those made in the settlements - that is, products made by illegally-based companies.
What about people as individuals who wish to boycott Israeli goods?
If people want to boycott someone they should boycott the Saudis.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
The Saudi's do not export anything other than radical Wahabism and terrorism and we've already kinda said no to that.

oil
Reply 4
Well I'm still going to boycott.
Reply 5
me and my family have boycotted them for a long time since i was little, i dont need a law to tell me what i can and cant buy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Well I'm still going to boycott.

Original post by mkap
me and my family have boycotting Isreal from when i was a young child. aint no law going to tell me what i can and cant buy .

PUBLIC BODIES NOW CAN'T BOYCOTT ANYONE

The government is not forcing any individual to buy from Israel
Original post by Mathemagicien
PUBLIC BODIES NOW CAN'T BOYCOTT ANYONE

The government is not forcing any individual to buy from Israel

The point I was making was more about the settlements - the government, is in effect, compelling public bodies to buy from companies to buy from companies whose production processes, partially or in some cases wholly, include internationally illegal activity.
Original post by anarchism101
The point I was making was more about the settlements - the government, is in effect, compelling public bodies to buy from companies to buy from companies whose production processes, partially or in some cases wholly, include internationally illegal activity.

I understand, but surely this is a matter for the government to consider, rather than individuals, whose motives are not clear, making decisions on these matters using tax payers money?

I would say the same about, say, a boycott of Saudi Arabia
It's the top down, highly centralised paternalistic attitude that I'd expect from a Conservative government. As some who wishes to see more democracy at the local level, it's disappointing.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I understand, but surely this is a matter for the government to consider, rather than individuals, whose motives are not clear, making decisions on these matters using tax payers money?

I would say the same about, say, a boycott of Saudi Arabia

If you were talking about a strictly moral question, as was the case in say, the boycott of South Africa, or a hypothetical one against Saudi Arabia, then I'd agree you have a point - that is something best decided at an elected level. But this isn't just a moral but also a legal question.

That said, I don't recall any such ban on the South African boycotts, let alone Rhodesia.
Original post by queen-bee
What about people as individuals who wish to boycott Israeli goods?

That's fine obviously. The government can't tell an individual what products they have to buy. This is about public bodies.
This isn't going to matter to anyone as nobody other than Muslims would want to boycott Israel anyway.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
It's a bit naive of you to suggest that no-one other than Muslims would support the plight of the Palestinians.

Over the last few decades, many Palestinian causes are taken up and championed by the left wing who view the actions of the Israeli state as being nothing less than state terrorism.

And I think you are doing the Palestinian Christians, and Christians in general, a great disservice if you don't think that they would support the boycott of Israel due to the horrendous and barbaric actions of the Israeli state.

Most Christians I know are pro-Israel, they even tithe money to support it. But yeah I am guessing others might agree with the Muslims on this as well.
Hopefully idiotic students running the SUs will actually focus on student affairs and listening to the very electorate that got them their job, rather than boycotting products.
Reply 15
I have no problem with people boycotting certain goods if they want, but imposing their beliefs onto others is beyond disgusting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending