The Student Room Group

*Trying* to get A*A*A*A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kkboyk
How would you go about in knowing when to use equations like elestic potential energy = gain in kinetic energy + potential energy?

Just consider the different types of energy before an after. Say for example you used a catapult to fire a ball up a ramp. At the start the gpe and ke are 0, and there is elastic potential energy stored in the rope of the catapult. At the end, the ball has a kinetic energy of say x and has gained gpe of say y. Energy is conserved, so total energy before =energy after so the epe must have been equal to the sum of the ke and gpe
Reply 21
Original post by AsandaLFC
Hahaha sorry, I ment composed, how old are you by the way ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see haha, I'm 18!

Original post by kkboyk
I know how you're feeling exactly! :tongue: I'm doing M2-3 and can't really get my head around it at the moment, and I really need to get 90% in those modules :colondollar:

So far YouTube and Isaac Physics are doing a good job in making me understand a little, but there's still A LOT I don't understand (especially that work-energy theorem).

After M1 I thought that it should be really easy, but all of the questions are SO confusing! I'll have to check out Isaac Physics, thanks :smile:
Original post by kawehi
x

What did you get in your GCSES?
Reply 23
Original post by samb1234
Just consider the different types of energy before an after. Say for example you used a catapult to fire a ball up a ramp. At the start the gpe and ke are 0, and there is elastic potential energy stored in the rope of the catapult. At the end, the ball has a kinetic energy of say x and has gained gpe of say y. Energy is conserved, so total energy before =energy after so the epe must have been equal to the sum of the ke and gpe

This is really helpful!! I always get stuck on those questions :tongue: I think that writing out exactly what happens step by step in the q would really work well
Reply 24
Original post by ribenas
what did you get in your gcses?

7a* 4a 1b :smile:
Original post by kawehi
x

I am really struggling with biology at the moment. From your GYG I can see you did extremely well in the AS exam, any advice on the subject considering I got a U in my biology mock? :smile:
Original post by kawehi
This is really helpful!! I always get stuck on those questions :tongue: I think that writing out exactly what happens step by step in the q would really work well

No worries, let me know if I can help with anything, haven't spoken to you in ages. Congrats on your offer, is it just the standard **a?
Reply 27
Original post by Ribenas
I am really struggling with biology at the moment. From your GYG I can see you did extremely well in the AS exam, any advice on the subject considering I got a U in my biology mock? :smile:

Of course! :smile:

So I found that in a lot of biology (for the AS exams at least), the mark schemes are very methodical and ordered - there really isn't a whole lot that you need to know! If you're feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in the textbook (I definitely was), go back a few years and find some past papers. Go through topics that you're struggling (say immune system), and copy down step by step the simplified answers in the mark scheme!

It sounds a bit cheaty, but it really tells you exactly what you need to know. I'd recommend doing this alongside making flashcards (directly from the spec!) on basic answers! Just go through them slowly until you feel like you understand all of the key words that you really have to put in your answers :smile:

Hopefully this helps, this is pretty much how I did all of my revision for bio, chem and physics!
Reply 28
No worries, let me know if I can help with anything, haven't spoken to you in ages. Congrats on your offer, is it just the standard **a?

I knoww, crazy!! :tongue: Thanks, it's actually A*A*AA, St John's seem to only be giving out 4 A2 offers! Not super fussed though, and extra A isn't a huge issue :smile: Did you end up applying to Cambridge?
Original post by kawehi
x

Thank you I will definitely start doing that :smile:. Although, the new specification for biology has just came out so the quantity of past papers is very limited. Will the answers from the old specification still be applicable?
Reply 30
Original post by Ribenas
Thank you I will definitely start doing that :smile:. Although, the new specification for biology has just came out so the quantity of past papers is very limited. Will the answers from the old specification still be applicable?

Definitely, there's no way that they could completely change everything about the exam, so some will be the same! Just think of the past paper mark schemes as revision notes or something - don't forget to still get all of the weird bits from the textbook :smile:
Reply 31

Hmm although I do know about the conservation of energy, I never bothered to think about it. This actually makes things a bit more easier, thanks :redface:
Original post by kawehi

After M1 I thought that it should be really easy, but all of the questions are SO confusing! I'll have to check out Isaac Physics, thanks :smile:

Yeah, we'll somehow manage before the exam :tongue:
Reply 32
15-02 Evening

Finished all of my chemistry flashcards, besides the last module on transition elements, but we haven't covered that so it's fine :biggrin: I'll put the link to the flashcards in the main post!
Also went for a run, so all of the day's goals have been completed :smile:
Reply 33
Let me know if the flashcard links in the main post work! :smile:
Hi, good luck. Would you reccomend me doing all my flashcards for biology from revision book and markscheme now and then learn them all or do some flashcards, learn them, make more flashcards and learn those and so on? doing OCR As new spec btw
Reply 35
Original post by banterlona222
Hi, good luck. Would you reccomend me doing all my flashcards for biology from revision book and markscheme now and then learn them all or do some flashcards, learn them, make more flashcards and learn those and so on? doing OCR As new spec btw

Hmm, I'd say make flashcards as you learn the stuff in class, but try to get them all done as soon as possible! So kind of a mix :tongue:
Original post by kawehi
Hmm, I'd say make flashcards as you learn the stuff in class, but try to get them all done as soon as possible! So kind of a mix :tongue:

Thank you :smile: when did you start revising forthe 3 sciences last year and when did you start doing past papers?
Reply 37
Thank you :smile: when did you start revising forthe 3 sciences last year and when did you start doing past papers?

Not until mid-April, but I don't really recommend that.. I struggle with motivation to just memorise things, I prefer to just learn about all sorts of random stuff!

I think that I was doing past papers before that, but I didn't actually get through all of them! I just made notes on a lot of the mark schemes - it's pretty helpful :smile:
Original post by kawehi
Not until mid-April, but I don't really recommend that.. I struggle with motivation to just memorise things, I prefer to just learn about all sorts of random stuff!

I think that I was doing past papers before that, but I didn't actually get through all of them! I just made notes on a lot of the mark schemes - it's pretty helpful :smile:

Thank you :smile: sorry that I keeps askin questions. Last one for now I promise. Would you recommend missing school for the 2-3 weeks after Easter break prior to first exam? So essentially 45 days at home just to revise?
Reply 39
Thank you :smile: sorry that I keeps askin questions. Last one for now I promise. Would you recommend missing school for the 2-3 weeks after Easter break prior to first exam? So essentially 45 days at home just to revise?

No problem, I'm here to help :tongue:

Unless that was something that your school allowed, I don't think that I'd do it! It's good to relax in the run-up to exams.. I know that if I was at home all day then I would just start stressing out about exams constantly! And often, it's a lot better to discuss questions and topics, rather than just memorising from a textbook. You'll get a better understanding faster if you debate the subject or practise with fellow students.. I'd say go in at least once a week if not more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending