The Student Room Group

Government will prosecute students who don't repay student loans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
I don't see how any of you cannot cheer the Tories on here.

That was about the weirdest possible way you could have phrased that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by High Fly To Left
That was about the weirdest possible way you could have phrased that.

Some of the other comments looked politically motivated, hence it was a bit of a trap.
I couldn't be arsed to read through the entire thread, but nevertheless this isn't going to be on everyone. Those who use our education system then leave without paying it back while they're abroad should be prosecuted, if I took out a loan then decided to run off I'd too be prosecuted so I don't really see what the issue is here.
Original post by TSRFT8
Why should the rich have too pay for the poor, are they your slaves? **** off with your ********, take out a loan and you pay it back.

Because that's the system that western society is based on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But tbf the student debt after university is horrendous and high enough for people to do a runner.But if someone's lending you money you're obliged to give it back and those who are trying to evade repayment should be prosecuted. I'd be livid if my wage was deducted to pay back my student loan when other people are getting off scot- free. No thank you. But I think now that the government has scrapped the maintenance grant, more people will try and evade repayment.
Original post by Reader106
But tbf the student debt after university is horrendous and high enough for people to do a runner.But if someone's lending you money you're obliged to give it back and those who are trying to evade repayment should be prosecuted. I'd be livid if my wage was deducted to pay back my student loan when other people are getting off scot- free. No thank you. But I think now that the government has scrapped the maintenance grant, more people will try and evade repayment.

So someone earning, for example, £31k a year would rather do a runner (and face the sanctions that might bring) instead of paying the £75 per month they owe...

£75 is not exactly "horrendous".

That's £2.50 a day.

That's a starbucks... for a university education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
So someone earning, for example, £31k a year would rather do a runner (and face the sanctions that might bring) instead of paying the £75 per month they owe...

That's £2.50 a day.

That's a starbucks... for a university education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not the rate at which they pay that is horrendous, it's actually very generous and it should be more IMO. It is easily affordable to pay triple that at 31k - easily. Which alleviates the problem of less people paying the full thing back in their life. What is really horrendous is the size of tuition fees in the first place which has nothing to do with the loan itself.
Original post by jneill
So someone earning, for example, £31k a year would do a runner (and face the sanctions that might bring) instead of paying the £75 per month they would owe...

Posted from TSR Mobile

True,but I meant that knowing that they'll be in £30,000 in debt by the time they finish university and they could be paying back the debt well into their 40's is enough for some people to do a runner. And more often than not, it's the people who earn a not-so-good of a salary, eg. £21K a year, who do a runner.
True,but I meant that knowing that they'll be in £30,000 in debt by the time they finish university and they could be paying back the debt well into their 40's is enough for some people to do a runner. And more often than not, it's the people who earn a not-so-good of a salary, eg. £21K a year, who do a runner.

Those are the people who are below the payment threshold. They don't have to pay anything...

No need to get any running shoes on at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ron_trns
It's not the rate at which they pay that is horrendous, it's actually very generous and it should be more IMO. It is easily affordable to pay triple that at 31k - easily. Which alleviates the problem of less people paying the full thing back in their life. What is really horrendous is the size of tuition fees in the first place which has nothing to do with the loan itself.

Eh?
The size of the tuition fee is everything to do with the size of the debt.

If it was lower, the debt would be lower...

But the total size doesn't actually make any difference to someone's day to day life. The monthly repayment amount is low, and yes that means you pay it for a long time. But its not going to significantly affect your day to day budgeting, or ability to get a mortgage, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Those are the people who are below the payment threshold. They don't have to pay anything...

No need to get any running shoes on at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh sorry, noticed my mistake, I meant a salary that just scraped above the threshold, my bad.:redface:
Oh sorry, noticed my mistake, I meant a salary that just scraped above the threshold, my bad.:redface:

So if they are on £22k they pay just £7 per month. Again, not worth running from.

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678784&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending