The Student Room Group

Top Universities Shouldn't Accept You Unless You Do 4 A2s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sabster
Basically, I don't believe top universities (Oxbridge/Imperial etc) should accept you unless you to do 4 A2s. For the reason that you are

EITHER: Talented but would rather doss around than put more work into academia.

OR: Not able to cope with 4A2s which means you most definitely would no be able to cope with the workload at a top university.

Obviously there should have exceptions for where School's don't allow people to do 4 A2s.

Do you have any statistics to back this up?
Original post by Student403
It definitely is, from browsing the US equivalent of TSR, visiting the place twice, and having a long chat with an alumna.Heck, I met a British international freshman at my last visit to the Institvte who had lower predicted grades than I do! (And mine aren't even perfect )

Ooh, TSR has a US equivalent?! :eek: I'll be looking to acquaint myself with that if I get into one of these American universities :lol:

But it's nice to hear that they look at the bigger picture (you'd expect no less tbh) :biggrin:
Better 3 strong A-level grades than 4 average grades.
Also, one of my friends doing 3 A levels encountered many stuck up people at her medical interview claiming to do 5 A levels.
She got an offer - they didn't.
What is that telling you? there is more to working life than a letter on an exam results sheet.
If you're compeletely hopeless in applying yourself to the real world (due to being so caught up in too many subjects) then why should they offer you a place, if all that's in your head is your subject specification.
Why do you think uni's have interviews and don't just give offers to those doing 4 A levels and predicted top grades?
Original post by Indeterminate
Ooh, TSR has a US equivalent?! :eek: I'll be looking to acquaint myself with that if I get into one of these American universities :lol:

But it's nice to hear that they look at the bigger picture (you'd expect no less tbh) :biggrin:

It's not as social but it can be helpful at times :yep: collegeconfidential.com

That's one of the reasons I think highly of it :smile:
It's not as social but it can be helpful at times :yep: collegeconfidential.com

That's one of the reasons I think highly of it :smile:

Yeah well it certainly doesn't look as social at first glance :lol: But it does look very useful, so thanks for the link :biggrin:

There are many things that combine to make MIT extremely special, and you could talk about them all day! :lol:
Yeah well it certainly doesn't look as social at first glance :lol: But it does look very useful, so thanks for the link :biggrin:

There are many things that combine to make MIT extremely special, and you could talk about them all day! :lol:

I agree :biggrin: Which is why I pray you get to experience them :h:
Original post by syntheticdescent
Seriously? You know what's up. Congratulations on your offer by the way. You're going to be fine. You've got the right mindset.

Thanks! I just want to let people know of this mindset to get where they want to, and also not place themselves under enormous amounts of pressure so that they get ill.
I agree :biggrin: Which is why I pray you get to experience them :h:

Aww thank you! :hugs:
Original post by Sabster
Basically, I don't believe top universities (Oxbridge/Imperial etc) should accept you unless you to do 4 A2s. For the reason that you are

OR: Not able to cope with 4A2s which means you most definitely would no be able to cope with the workload at a top university.

Obviously there should have exceptions for where School's don't allow people to do 4 A2s.

Its not academically fair to those who have perhaps under performed at GCSE for extenuating circumstances and are not allowed to take a 4th AS yet they may have amazing A level grades.

E.g if I was to apply to university to study Maths would you disregard my A*A* in maths/further maths & 1,1,1 in STEP 1,2,3 and focus that I only have a B at GCSE maths?
Aww thank you! :hugs:

<3
Most people who are doing 3 A2s rather than 4 aren't doing so because they "can't cope" with 4, but more because they want to prioritise the three subjects that are actually either required for them to get into university, or the ones which are most likely to get them the required grades. Yes, there are people who manage to come out with four or five A*s at A2, but they are most likely lacking in other areas (such as people skills, and general experience in a non-academic setting) as a result. You can only go so far in life until you need to work for things other than grades. Once you graduate from university, unless you go into further study, nothing you do will be assessed and recorded as a grade or percentage (with the exception of things such as driving tests or additional exams needed for certain jobs). The point of going to university is supposed to be to prepare you for getting a job in a chosen field, not trying to attain as many A*s as possible. The reason top universities have such high grade requirements for their courses is because they want people who are passionate about their chosen course, and getting high grades in the A-levels related to this course occurs a result. In what way is somebody doing A-levels in say three related subjects and an unnecessary unrelated subject more suited than somebody who is just simply doing three related subjects?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Most people who are doing 3 A2s rather than 4 aren't doing so because they "can't cope" with 4, but more because they want to prioritise the three subjects that are actually either required for them to get into university

Yes and if you can't cope with getting top grades in 4 then you can't cope with an Oxbridge degree (or even close).

Thats the point I am making
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Its not academically fair to those who have perhaps under performed at GCSE for extenuating circumstances and are not allowed to take a 4th AS yet they may have amazing A level grades.

E.g if I was to apply to university to study Maths would you disregard my A*A* in maths/further maths & 1,1,1 in STEP 1,2,3 and focus that I only have a B at GCSE maths?

As I said if your school restricted you then that is different.
Original post by morgan8002
Basically, I don't believe top universities (Oxbridge/Imperial etc) should accept you unless you to do 5 A2s. For the reason that you are

OR: Not able to cope with 5A2s which means you most definitely would no be able to cope with the workload at a top university.

Obviously there should have exceptions for where School's don't allow people to do 5 A2s.

On a more serious note, for some people there aren't enough enjoyable or relevant subjects to justify taking more than 3, so it shouldn't be a requirement. It would be stupid to have to do extra subjects that you don't want to do just to satisfy this. Obviously someone who would struggle with 4 A2s can't handle the workload of university, but there are other things to work on(STEP etc.).

I know you were being satirical but I agree with the point, an Oxbridge degree is like 10 A levels.
Reply 35
how did I miss this thread today?
Original post by Sabster

I guess that would be beneficial for me, Im doing 4:
- mathematics
- biology
-chemistry
- Geography

all of which are very demanding.
Original post by Sabster
X

I'm not sure I agree with this. Whilst I probably would agree that somebody should be capable of taking 4 A2s if they're thinking of applying to Oxbridge (bearing in mind that I feel like my workload is at least double that of when I was taking 4 subjects plus an EPQ at A Level), that doesn't mean that it's necessarily a good use of your time. There are plenty of other useful things you can be doing with your time apart from taking A Levels, e.g. reading around your subject (which is probably more useful and more interesting than an extra A Level, anyway).
Original post by Sabster

This idea is wasted on TSR.

I suggest you write it up in detail and send it to the vice chancellor and head of admissions at all the Russell group universities. Be sure to be very clear to explain to them why you think they're doing their jobs wrong.

And don't forget to sign it with your full name, address and your school so they can thank you personally for your insights.
Original post by Sabster

But simply increasing the number of A-Levels won't matter. Doing a degree in, say, Critical Thinking should not count as one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending