The Student Room Group

Is a B-Grade GCSE profile good enough for medicine?

I am determined to study medicine in the future. I had disrupted schooling in Key Stage 3 (years 7-9) and now attend a school with poor GCSE results. I am predicted two As (in Maths and Science) and Bs and Cs in my other 7 GCSEs (I'm only doing nine).
I have experience of the medical profession, due to having congenital heart conditions. Furthermore, I am ensuring my A Level profile will be strong enough with taking 4 A levels. Also, I am going to do some work experience and volunteering. Will this be enough to have a decent chance of studying medicine?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tillson_b
I am determined to study medicine in the future. I had disrupted schooling in Key Stage 3 (years 7-9) and now attend a school with poor GCSE results. I am predicted two As (in Maths and Science) and Bs and Cs in my other 8 GCSEs (I'm only doing nine).
I have experience of the medical profession, due to having congenital heart conditions. Furthermore, I am ensuring my A Level profile will be strong enough with taking 4 A levels. Also, I am going to do some work experience and volunteering. Will this be enough to have a decent chance of studying medicine?

You're predicted these grades, doesn't mean you're going to get those grades. Work hard and revise and aim for the A's and A*'s, don't just rely on you're predicted grades, are the grades that you are going to achieve. Focus on getting those high grades first :smile:
As medicine is very competitive, volunteering will boost up your chance of studying it, as well as AAA, grades as a minimum at A level, (however you will have to look at university entry requirements, as some require higher than this), and a good interview. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by iKiss.
You're predicted these grades, doesn't mean you're going to get those grades. Work hard and revise and aim for the A's and A*'s, don't just rely on you're predicted grades, are the grades that you are going to achieve. Focus on getting those high grades first :smile:
As medicine is very competitive, volunteering will boost up your chance of studying it, as well as AAA, grades as a minimum at A level, (however you will have to look at university entry requirements, as some require higher than this), and a good interview. Good luck :smile:

If there was no controlled assessment, there may be a chance. The problem lies with the teachers. Most of my teachers genuinely have no clue about how to handle a controlled assessment task (and which papers to give and not give!). I can't see an A*/A profile being possible.
Reply 3
If there was no controlled assessment, there may be a chance. The problem lies with the teachers. Most of my teachers genuinely have no clue about how to handle a controlled assessment task (and which papers to give and not give!). I can't see an A*/A profile being possible.

The controlled assessment, pretty sure is worth much lower than the actual exam percentage eg. science 25% coursework, exam 75%. If I was you I'd complain to a senior member of staff in your school?
Also, I'm predicted b's too (due to my lack of work in school and at home), but hopefully I'm going to prove to myself and teachers that I can achieve A/A* as I'm going to work consistently hard up to the weeks following exams. I suggest you do that to, and I wouldn't say this, if you were predicted c's and d's. It's possible, you just have to work hard to get what you want.
Reply 4
Original post by iKiss.
The controlled assessment, pretty sure is worth much lower than the actual exam percentage eg. science 25% coursework, exam 75%. If I was you I'd complain to a senior member of staff in your school?
Also, I'm predicted b's too (due to my lack of work in school and at home), but hopefully I'm going to prove to myself and teachers that I can achieve A/A* as I'm going to work consistently hard up to the weeks following exams. I suggest you do that to, and I wouldn't say this, if you were predicted c's and d's. It's possible, you just have to work hard to get what you want.

My controlled assessments in computing and DT are 60%. In geography, a third. I'm not really worried about science, that's our only good teacher!
As for complaining to senior staff, I know many parents have. I also know they haven't gotten anywhere.
Reply 5
I know I've under performed in IT, probably got a pass. I'm not bothered though, as the maths, english language and science grades are the most important and most desirable subjects that require A*'s. We both have similar aspirations, please just don't worry, as A levels will be prioritised first, before GCSE grades.

My controlled assessments in computing and DT are 60%. In geography, a third. I'm not really worried about science, that's our only good teacher!
As for complaining to senior staff, I know many parents have. I also know they haven't gotten anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending