The Student Room Group

How can i get an A or A* in English?

Scroll to see replies

Take it again and again and eventually you'll get lucky. Worked for me.
Original post by iKiss.
PM me, my English teacher gave me a sheet that includes how to get an A* in both English lang and lit. It helped me, I was predicted a B, but achieved A* in both English lang and lit. :smile:

can you send it to me too please!
Original post by AnkitKapoor
I found a REALLY good website called 'curve learn'. Has some great notes, and helped me get my A*s in Lit and Lang GCSE.

Thank you
If someone's got the sheet can you message it to me please.:smile:
Thank you.
Original post by crosbycasey56
Are there any sites or tips that can get me an A or A* in gcse for english?

Mr Bruffs youtube videos are really good, especially for poetry.
With English, to get A/A*s, the main thing I think need to to is reference 'big ideas'. These could be about religion, deep hidden messages anything really. e.g. mice and men - repetition of the adjective "green" Steinbeck uses when describing the brush emphasises the areas fertility and implies possible religious connotations.
Then go further, Garden of Eden, the fall=lurking danger, foreshadowing etc

I hope this helps :smile:
p.s forgot to mention York Notes and Ox notes are fabby as well
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
i thought the systems changed to levels 1-9 instead of gardes?
Original post by HS2030
i thought the systems changed to levels 1-9 instead of gardes?

We're the last year to do the grade system

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iKiss.
You're lying... :smile: But I can infer that you seem to be a nice person, so okay :smile:

I can't believe I missed out on this... :cry2:
Original post by TheOtherSide.
I can't believe I missed out on this... :cry2:

Same :frown: I was about to ask then saw the tons of people who already had :doh:
Original post by georginarowley
Mr Bruffs youtube videos are really good, especially for poetry.
With English, to get A/A*s, the main thing I think need to to is reference 'big ideas'. These could be about religion, deep hidden messages anything really. e.g. mice and men - repetition of the adjective "green" Steinbeck uses when describing the brush emphasises the areas fertility and implies possible religious connotations.
Then go further, Garden of Eden, the fall=lurking danger, foreshadowing etc

I hope this helps :smile:
p.s forgot to mention York Notes and Ox notes are fabby as well

Thank you very much:smile:
Original post by defenestrated
Same :frown: I was about to ask then saw the tons of people who already had :doh:

Apparently i was going to get a sheet sent but i didnt
Original post by defenestrated

I probably would have been one of those people asking yesterday too :colondollar:
Original post by crosbycasey56
Are there any sites or tips that can get me an A or A* in gcse for english?

This time last year, I was on a D for English and that was a consistent grade. However since then my teacher sets the class exam questions every week in which we need to complete for homework under timed conditions.

I think the practise has allowed me to improve and in my latest mocks I achieved an A. This has also allowed me write freely and have more creativity, just finished all my English controlled assessments and I got 73/80 hitting the A*.

I'd say probably do one question each week from an exam paper. (Question 1, then question 2 etc) Then probably get your teacher to mark it?

Not sure if that will help you, but it certainly helped me. In my opinion revision guides don't really help me for English.

Oh yeah also, read exemplar answers :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Federerr
This time last year, I was on a D for English and that was a consistent grade. However since then my teacher sets the class exam questions every week in which we need to complete for homework under timed conditions.

I think the practise has allowed me to improve and in my latest mocks I achieved an A. This has also allowed me write freely and have more creativity, just finished all my English controlled assessments and I got 73/80 hitting the A*.

I'd say probably do one question each week from an exam paper. (Question 1, then question 2 etc) Then probably get your teacher to mark it?

Not sure if that will help you, but it certainly helped me. In my opinion revision guides don't really help me for English.

Oh yeah also, read exemplar answers :smile:

Thank you ever so much:smile:
Reply 34
Practice. Essays, essay plans, even learn some wee cheeky quotes (not necessary but it helped for me) and know the definitions of terms etc. I did all this and got A* in both English Lit and Language.
Reply 35
Original post by iKiss.
PM me, my English teacher gave me a sheet that includes how to get an A* in both English lang and lit. It helped me, I was predicted a B, but achieved A* in both English lang and lit. :smile:

Hi, please could i have this sheet?
It would be greatly appreciated
Original post by Airmed
Practice. Essays, essay plans, even learn some wee cheeky quotes (not necessary but it helped for me) and know the definitions of terms etc. I did all this and got A* in both English Lit and Language.

thank you:smile:
Original post by iKiss.

Pls can u send me a sheet too?:smile: Im not doing that well in both of the engs. Thanks
Original post by iKiss.

can you send me that sheet too please?
Reply 39
Original post by iKiss.

Hi!

I've only just joined this site and saw the thread, so that is why I'm asking this so late....However, please could you pm the sheet to me as well? :biggrin:

I understand if you don't want to as I saw that you didn't want to send it after a certain point on the chat but I really would appreciate it.

Thank you either way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest