The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
That has not been proved at all.

From what we know of cosmology, it is at least more probable than not. Most physicists would agree that the universe is likely not past-eternal.
It is impossible to be specific: you can only characterise the evidence.

That actually isn't true. In science, if you come up with a question, you establish a methodology for proving one way or the other and establish a thesis. He could state that he wants 'Classical logical evidence', 'Anecdotal evidence', even 'Natural evidence'(Which I'm assuming that he doesn't want as he stated he wants evidence and not simply 'Something that science hasn't proven yet').

I want to know by which methodology he will accept the proof. At that point, we would establish a baseline - Things that we both agree are probably true - And then we would need to build upon what we know to be true together.

And so, I will ask for a ninth time: What evidence will he accept?
Reply 182
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Perfect! Then you accept first person testimonies and the thread is solved. Welcome to your newfound faith.

Unless, of course, you're suggesting that you need specific types of evidence, in which case I'll ask you for a seventh time: What evidence will you accept? Please be specific.

just gonna assume you're trolling at this point
Reply 183
Original post by champ_mc99
So how does the multiverse create our universe?

not a clue, not even sure scientists really know
Original post by mangala
just gonna assume you're trolling at this point

I actually would suggest you're the one for trolling. You're demanding evidence but refusing to be specific as to the type of evidence you will accept: You ask a question, then move the goalposts when the question is answered, then accuse others of 'Trolling' when they ask for specifics of what you're looking for. If you are, indeed, curious and not trolling, then I will ask for a tenth time:

What evidence are you looking for? Please be specfic.
Original post by mangala
not a clue, not even sure scientists really know

Lol so I don't understand what your point was. There are many other universes... Okay?
Are you trolling? Scientific reasons for believing in God are....0. I'll take my atheism marinaded in science thank you.
I actually would suggest you're the one for trolling. You're demanding evidence but refusing to be specific as to the type of evidence you will accept: You ask a question, then move the goalposts when the question is answered, then accuse others of 'Trolling' when they ask for specifics of what you're looking for. If you are, indeed, curious and not trolling, then I will ask for a tenth time:

Scientific evidence, have you not seen the thread title or something?

I want to know by which methodology he will accept the proof. At that point, we would establish a baseline - Things that we both agree are probably true -

Things you both agree are probably true. Is that a firm base for a scientific enquiry?
Things you both agree are probably true. Is that a firm base for a scientific enquiry?

Well, we've already established that using a 'scientific inquiry' isn't a sound basis for proving or disproving a being's existence. It's absurd.

If he wants natural evidence, I would probably start with something we both believe is probably true, like the big bang, and build from there.
Well, we've already established that using a 'scientific inquiry' isn't a sound basis for proving or disproving a being's existence. It's absurd.

If he wants natural evidence, I would probably start with something we both believe is probably true, like the big bang, and build from there.

So, unable to meet his requirement for scientific evidence, you intend to palm him off with the usual illogical, self-referential and superstitious nonsense?
So, unable to meet his requirement for scientific evidence, you intend to palm him off with the usual illogical, self-referential and superstitious nonsense?

Is that what you got out of this?

That's what I was looking for - Essentially to prove the absurdity of the question. "Dove soap floats" - We know this because a scientist somewhere took Dove soap, pushed it to the bottom of a tub of water, watched as it rode and made a check on a sheet.

He then repeated this, reported his findings and was independently corroborated. This is why we, scientifically, know that this is a fact.

The existence of individuals is much more problematic: Without visiting Outer Mongolia, one has no way of 'proving' that Outer Mongolia exists or that its capital is Ulan Batuur. We accept that it does because people tell us it does and the idea is within our sphere of experience.

God is beyond most people's experiences. If you then discount all first person testimonies as the ravings of madmen and con artists, you have essentially dismissed any acceptable evidence of God. Of course, you have also discounted all evidence of George Washington, any Pharoah in Egypt and the vast majority of the many billions of people here as well.

So the original posters question is either meaningless just as 'Please provide scientific evidence of Julius Caesar's life' would be as a post(Because you cannot recreate in a controlled environment the birth, life and death of Julius Caesar as the Scientific Method requires for the evidence he's looking for) or it is an actively malevolent attempt to simply say 'Not evidence' again and again and again.

Because I do not believe that the original poster is either malevolent or foolish, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and asking for an 8th time: What evidence will you accept? Please be specific.

And so, to stop dancing, I will ask him again for the 11th time: What evidence will he accept? Please be specific.
Yes. The context is important though. It was in a thread specifically looking for scientific reasons to believe in deities, though, wasn't it? I think the default sort of useful evidence would be scientific, don't you? I'm not sure eyewitness evidence cuts it in that scenario.

So, not very reliable at all, unless corroborated, then? Or from an unimpeachable source, one with a proven record of telling the truth and not being mistaken? The key question being how to discriminate between contradictory sources.

Well if you've been on TSR for more than a week, you'll know that threads hardly stick closely to the title heading.

No. You don't assume eye witness testimony is unreliable if it isn't corroborated, just that it's not as strong evidence as testimony that is. Though you can gave general approaches to testimony, it really does depend on when and where the testimony was taken. Its context can create an environment which inclines either towards or away from reliability. You're example of an unimpeachable source. Perhaps the person's education and upbringing make it improbable that he would be mistaken. Say, the testimony of a doctor of the wounds which caused a man's death. Or a professional historian retelling an event he has investigated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
You're example of an unimpeachable source. Perhaps the person's education and upbringing make it improbable that he would be mistaken. Say, the testimony of a doctor of the wounds which caused a man's death. Or a professional historian retelling an event he has investigated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming you're going to use the fact that the Apostles included both a historian and a doctor. I would have followed up with discussions of the Patrologia. But until we discover what the original poster actually will accept by evidence, it's meaningless. Hopefully, he will respond with what he will accept.
I'm assuming you're going to use the fact that the Apostles included both a historian and a doctor. I would have followed up with discussions of the Patrologia. But until we discover what the original poster actually will accept by evidence, it's meaningless. Hopefully, he will respond with what he will accept.

Well I never intended that, I was literally just thinking of examples which make some eye witness testimony reliable in its own right without other corroborating testimony.

But to be specific, I find the Gospel of Luke and Acts to have much historical accuracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Science rules out the divine at a disciplinary level. Metaphysical reasons for believing in God would be a better title.
Reply 196

evidenceˈɛvɪd(ə)ns/noun

1.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Give me information which indicates that a belief in god is true. I literally cannot be more specific without actually giving evidence myself.

And if you think a "first-hand account" is evidence, then I would refer you back to my point about UFOs.
Reply 197
Original post by librarygirl
Are you trolling? Scientific reasons for believing in God are....0. I'll take my atheism marinaded in science thank you.

alright library girl
Original post by mangala
evidenceˈɛvɪd(ə)ns/noun

1.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Give me information which indicates that a belief in god is true. I literally cannot be more specific without actually giving evidence myself.

And if you think a "first-hand account" is evidence, then I would refer you back to my point about UFOs.

Any information that suggests a belief in God is true except first-hand accounts or do you have specific issues? I understand you have a mocking indifference to firsthand accounts(Despite probably believing that Ulan Batuur exists), so I'm trying to understand where you're coming from.
Original post by mangala
evidenceˈɛvɪd(ə)ns/noun

That's literally grouping every type of testimony together, being so incredibly broad as to be meaningless.

Testimony that a car crash happened.

Sorry. Some people claim to have seen a UFO. So your testimony is unreliable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending