The Student Room Group

chances at getting into UCL/LSE for economics

Hi, I'm currently studying maths physics history and biology with predicted A*AAA (A* in maths). I have a part time job and some experience in vounteering, not really anything I can class as a hobby, no EPQ/any similiar qualification, 8A's 3A*'s at GCSE.

Im starting to doubt my chances at getting in UCL or LSE for economics as I am really struggling with my AS levels. Does any one know if I stand a chance/ if there is anything I could do to strengthen my chances at getting in?

Scroll to see replies

Pick apart what you have gained from those things.

For example, getting such good grades could be becuase you are organised and can prioritise etc work to deadlines.

Pick it all apart including your volunteering. You might include why you are passionate about studying Economics. I found the books Freakanomics and SuperFreakanmoics very inspiring.

Also, read a bunch on here / other places / consult tutor at school etc.

https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=4&q=1071&searchString=

It's hard but someone has to get in!!
Original post by StudentMature
Pick apart what you have gained from those things.

For example, getting such good grades could be becuase you are organised and can prioritise etc work to deadlines.

Pick it all apart including your volunteering. You might include why you are passionate about studying Economics. I found the books Freakanomics and SuperFreakanmoics very inspiring.

Also, read a bunch on here / other places / consult tutor at school etc.

https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=4&q=1071&searchString=

It's hard but someone has to get in!!

thank you! i dont have a language at gcse do you know if that will effect my chances?
No idea!
You should have a good chance as long as you do well at AS. Have a good personal statement prepared and try take part in activities outside of academia.
ie-sports, learn to play a musical instrument, etc.
London met seems to be your ball park.

Spoiler

Please write about something other than Freakonomics in your PS.
Reply 7
UCL say they want a pass in a modern language GCSE but I don't know how strict they are about that.

Your GCSE grades are okay but if you're 'really struggling' with your AS levels, how confident are you that you'll get A*AA (A* in maths)?

As for improving your chances, you could do economics related extra curricular activities like reading books, attend lectures and taking part in target 2.0.

Both courses are very competitive and no one is guaranteed an offer. If you think you can get A*AA you should apply, but also apply to three safe(r) options
Original post by TheAmazingETF
London met seems to be your ball park.

Spoiler

nice of you to say
Original post by tinkerbella~
Please write about something other than Freakonomics in your PS.

haha ive heard many other people say this, it seems to be a common annoyance
Original post by Shumaya
UCL say they want a pass in a modern language GCSE but I don't know how strict they are about that.

Your GCSE grades are okay but if you're 'really struggling' with your AS levels, how confident are you that you'll get A*AA (A* in maths)?

As for improving your chances, you could do economics related extra curricular activities like reading books, attend lectures and taking part in target 2.0.

Both courses are very competitive and no one is guaranteed an offer. If you think you can get A*AA you should apply, but also apply to three safe(r) options

yeah i know, my confidence is dropping that i will get them grades its quite concerning
Its very difficult to tell tbh. I think you have a ok chance for UCL, but the competition for LSE is pretty mad. People will 3 A*s predicted get rejected so its not just about the grades, prove to them you have a passion for economics in your personal statement from your knowledge in the subject and previous experiences and you should be fine.
Your GCSE grades are a bit on the low side so it means you're pretty much going to need AAAA in AS to stand a chance. LSE also measure UMS so make sure you're comfortably achieving As.

Extra-curriculars aren't particularly important, just read some books (or at least say you've read them) so that you can demonstrate a reasonable level of understanding/interest in economics.

What you can always do is apply for joint courses in economics which are marginally less competitive.
Original post by athrowaway
Your GCSE grades are a bit on the low side so it means you're pretty much going to need AAAA in AS to stand a chance. LSE also measure UMS so make sure you're comfortably achieving As.

Extra-curriculars aren't particularly important, just read some books (or at least say you've read them) so that you can demonstrate a reasonable level of understanding/interest in economics.

What you can always do is apply for joint courses in economics which are marginally less competitive.

Not true actually, joint courses at LSE especially are much more competitive, for example Maths and Economics have less places available then Economics and the numbers applying arent any different.
Original post by Daniel9998
Its very difficult to tell tbh. I think you have a ok chance for UCL, but the competition for LSE is pretty mad. People will 3 A*s predicted get rejected so its not just about the grades, prove to them you have a passion for economics in your personal statement from your knowledge in the subject and previous experiences and you should be fine.

thank you! its very daunting stuff
I'm in a similar position, especially with the new A level system. I don't know how LSE would respond to applications with merit on the basis of predicted grades from internal exams at the end of the L6 year. If there's an emphasis on (i)GCSEs then you ought to have a pretty strong PS to stand a chance. With Economics at LSE, you'd be up against students with Further Maths AS or A level. On the other hand, not taking Economics A level is valued by their admissions as they generally prefer more academically rounded students with an essay based subject (History in your case). There's no way of telling you what your chances are like at LSE/UCL because every application is different. As for preliminary reading, TSR has a thread on this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2409054
Original post by Daniel9998
Not true actually, joint courses at LSE especially are much more competitive, for example Maths and Economics have less places available then Economics and the numbers applying arent any different.

The numbers aren't important, it's about the quality of applicants.
obv yes

-lse student
Original post by AstarAstarA
I'm in a similar position, especially with the new A level system. I don't know how LSE would respond to applications with merit on the basis of predicted grades from internal exams at the end of the L6 year. If there's an emphasis on (i)GCSEs then you ought to have a pretty strong PS to stand a chance. With Economics at LSE, you'd be up against students with Further Maths AS or A level. On the other hand, not taking Economics A level is valued by their admissions as they generally prefer more academically rounded students with an essay based subject (History in your case). There's no way of telling you what your chances are like at LSE/UCL because every application is different. As for preliminary reading, TSR has a thread on this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2409054

thank you!! :smile:
i didn't take a language gcse and got an offer from ucl
so it should be fine
they just ask you to do this language short course in your first year at uni

Quick Reply

Latest