The Student Room Group

Anger as boycott of Israeli goods to becomes a criminal offense

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellie0497
If it is illegal to boycott those goods it means we should purchase them.

But it is not illegal for individuals to boycott the goods

You can support Palestine to your heart's (and Allah's (sallallahu alayhi wasallam)) content
(edited 8 years ago)
This Israeli good news :smile:
Original post by Mathemagicien
But it is not illegal for individuals to boycott the goods

You can support Palestine to your heart's (and Allah's) content

I don't boycott Israeli goods personally but I misunderstood it.
Original post by KimKallstrom
This law is to ban public bodies (ie not individuals or private companies) from boycotting on the basis of nationality. Not just Israel.

But just countries signed up to the World Trade Organisation government procurement agreement. So it's far from some universalist anti-discrimination law, even leaving aside the bogus essentialist state-ethnicity relationship assumed.
I don't boycott Israeli goods personally but I misunderstood it.

Yes, I gathered that

People have a tendency to read titles only, rather than the text, which makes them very susceptible to the manipulation of the media

Peace
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yes, I gathered that

People have a tendency to read titles only, rather than the text, which makes them very susceptible to the manipulation of the media

Peace

That's a summary of my life
I hope this isn't fake. Banning israeli goods is no different to a white power university social club banning black people from class, and the university listening because not to do so would be "offensive" to the white power club.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
This Israeli good news :smile:

:colonhash:
That's a summary of my life

Peace
Original post by GoldenFang
(1) It is absolutely fair to hold local authorities, universities etc to the law; that is, you can't discriminate based on national origin.

So do you hold that it would be wrong to boycott any state ever?

Besides which this law will also ban boycotts of settlement products. And far from applies to all countries, only those signed up to a particular WTO agreement.
Reply 30
I just went on the BSD movement website and my gut feeling was right. The movement is useless, they provide no alternatives to the Israeli goods they want us to boycott. I think the movement is a good idea, the problem is the execution and lack of real resources.

Also, doesn't Israel produce a lot of scientific and technological products for the west, are we going to start boycotting technology too?
Original post by novabolt
I just went on the BSD movement website and my gut feeling was right. The movement is useless, they provide no alternatives to the Israeli goods they want us to boycott. I think the movement is a good idea, the problem is the execution and lack of real resources.

I guess they've got their hands full trying to ban American Jews (American, not even Israeli) from performing in Spanish music festivals.................
Original post by the bear
but Uzis are the best SMGs

if you would actually had one of them in your hands, you wouldn't BS like that
If it is illegal to boycott those goods it means we should purchase them.

No it doesn't, it just means the businesses cannot boycott them. They're not putting a gun to your head and making you buy them. You can still choose not to buy them.
Original post by thunder_chunky
No it doesn't, it just means the businesses cannot boycott them. They're not putting a gun to your head and making you buy them. You can still choose not to buy them.

Actually, it is. Generally speaking, councils operate with some degree of autonomy based on the wishes of the local population. This strips this degree of local autonomy. This is very relevant for student unions. It limits your ability to engage in a personal boycott by removing some of your ability to boycott via your vote.

Original post by XMaramena
I hope this isn't fake. Banning israeli goods is no different to a white power university social club banning black people from class, and the university listening because not to do so would be "offensive" to the white power club.

Or refusing to buy halal meat is the same as banning all arabs.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Actually, it is. Generally speaking, councils operate with some degree of autonomy based on the wishes of the local population. This strips this degree of local autonomy. This is very relevant for student unions. It limits your ability to engage in a personal boycott by removing some of your ability to boycott via your vote.

No one is being forced to actually buy the product though. This doesn't mean that people are being forced to choose these products and hand over their well earned money for it. I can't think of anything that Israel exports to us that is so essential that we can't find it from any other source as an alternative.
Original post by anarchism101
So do you hold that it would be wrong to boycott any state ever?

It depends. If, for example, you propose to ban an Israeli academic from your conference or ban an Israeli filmmaker from your festival simply because they are Israeli (which is what BDS proposes), then that is clearly unlawful discrimination and bigoted to boot.

If you, as an individual, want to decline to buy a product because it is from a settlement then that is fine, I personally want the settlements to end and that would not be discrimination based on national origin. But applying that to all Israelis clearly is.
Original post by Nightwing_
I'm not fully sure you understand the point of the boycott. The goods are not discriminated against based on national origin, most of these organistations (I would have thought all) do not boycott Israeli products, but those Israeli products produced illegally on Palestinian soil.

BDSholes tend to consider all Israeli territory Palestinian soil. Furthermore, it clearly does extend to all Israelis; the hard left has repeatedly tried to exclude even left-wing Israelis who oppose the settlements/occupation, academics and filmmakers and musicians, purely on the basis that they are Israeli. Academic boycotts of Israeli academics, simply because they are Israeli, is absolutely unlawful discrimination and shows the hard left up as the bigoted a-holes they truly are

Also you are seriously mistaken that this is discrimination against all Jewish people. Just because Israel is the only Jewish state, boycotting the use of products grown illegally by Israel on Palestinian soil does not in any way discriminate against Judaism.

The hard left's fixation with the world's only Jewish state, pretty much to the exclusion of all else, speaks for itself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mkap
me and my family have boycotted them for a long time since i was little, i dont need a law to tell me what i can and cant buy.

Government is not telling you to buy an Israeli product, it's simply telling people like the NUS that they have to stock it.

Which is fair enough since referendums on the issue have a less than 10% turnout from the NUS.

I have more sympathy for local councils in this but none for the NUS which is far more political than it should be.
Original post by GoldenFang
BDSholes tend to consider all Israeli territory Palestinian soil. Furthermore, it clearly does extend to all Israelis; the hard left has repeatedly tried to exclude even left-wing Israelis who oppose the settlements/occupation, academics and filmmakers and musicians, purely on the basis that they are Israeli. Academic boycotts of Israeli academics, simply because they are Israeli, is absolutely unlawful discrimination and shows the hard left up as the bigoted a-holes they truly are

The hard left's fixation with the world's only Jewish state, pretty much to the exclusion of all else, speaks for itself.

That may be true and shows the malice of many on the hard left, but on analysis of the boycott alone, do you really think it is an anti-Semitic move?

I consider myself to be on the left, don't particularly like Israeli foreign policy and would consider a boycott of Israeli-produced goods on Palestinian soil both rational and reasonable, but am not anti-Israeli or anti-Semitic in the slightest. I side with the UN on the 4th Geneva Convention vis-à-vis 1967 and that's it, really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending