The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official St. Hild & St. Bede college thread 2016

Congratulations to those that got into the college so far this year. This beautiful college is situated on the River Wear with 16 acres of land.

Other notable features include:

- Student Cinema
- Two gyms
- Boat house
- Good bar
- Huge Summer & Winter balls (budget of around 40k for each)

So introduce yourselves and let's get to know each other!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tagging those who I've seen mention they have been allocated so far.

@heather.b
@Madhog
@ombtom
@eleanor27
@mechanism
@Supersaps
@m1m2
@bastian
@TitanCream
(edited 8 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm Tom and my life consists of Physics and pasta.
Reply 3
Hey - I'm Jon. Comp Sci. Currently a serving soldier, bit older than most of you at 25.

Tom, are you concerned that the college is literally the furthest away from the science buildings as it could possibly be? Guess we'll have to get a bike, lad!
Reply 4
Original post by Supersaps
Hey - I'm Jon. Comp Sci. Currently a serving soldier, bit older than most of you at 25.

Tom, are you concerned that the college is literally the furthest away from the science buildings as it could possibly be? Guess we'll have to get a bike, lad!

I didn't know it was the furthest away (it isn't the college that I applied to), but Google says it's only 1.2 miles which is a lot less than I currently walk to school. Cycling would definitely be a nice change. :smile:
Question! Is the college just one building? I haven't visited hild-bede yet. On google maps it shows the lovely old building (pictured above) and then a rather strange block. Just wondered whether we'd be living in the actual building or not?
Reply 6
Original post by mechanism
Question! Is the college just one building? I haven't visited hild-bede yet. On google maps it shows the lovely old building (pictured above) and then a rather strange block. Just wondered whether we'd be living in the actual building or not?

I believe its a collection of buildings as the St Bede and St Hild were originally separate colleges for men and women, combined fairly recently.

I'm gonna have a reconnoitre next week the base is only about 30 mins away and I'll be able to get some more details for us.
When do we find out the cost of living here?
I believe its a collection of buildings as the St Bede and St Hild were originally separate colleges for men and women, combined fairly recently.

I'm gonna have a reconnoitre next week the base is only about 30 mins away and I'll be able to get some more details for us.

Ahh ok, so it's unlikely we'll be living in the traditional building?
Reply 9
Hi, I'm Ellie and I'll be studying Spanish and Arabic! which post-offers day are you all going to?
Reply 11
Original post by TitanCream

I am sure you can ring them and they'll be able to tell you. I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

The number for the college reception is: 0191 334 8300
Hiya I'm Heather and I'm gonna be studying Classics :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by TitanCream

I'm fairly sure that as the college is not independent, the standard university accommodation fees apply.

These can be found here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/collegiate.office/charges/201617/undergraduate/
Reply 14
Original post by eleanor27
Hi, I'm Ellie and I'll be studying Spanish and Arabic! which post-offers day are you all going to?

I don't think I can go on the post-offer days; I'll have to go on a random day, which will be nice and awkward. :colone:
Original post by ombtom
I don't think I can go on the post-offer days; I'll have to go on a random day, which will be nice and awkward. :colone:

ahahah have fun with that :wink: I'm sure it won't be as awkward as you think- just drag a friend or your parents along :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by eleanor27
ahahah have fun with that :wink: I'm sure it won't be as awkward as you think- just drag a friend or your parents along :smile:

Yeah I'm going with a friend; I'd get lost on a train otherwise. :redface:
Reply 17
Original post by ombtom
Yeah I'm going with a friend; I'd get lost on a train otherwise. :redface:

When you going down, Tom? I've just rang them and booked in for next Tues.
Reply 18
When you going down, Tom? I've just rang them and booked in for next Tues.

I'll probably go in early March. Do we still get to stay for a night?
Reply 19
I didn't check as I live fairly close. I'm visiting the Comp Sci department in the afternoon then heading over to the college for dinner. You can rock up for dinner and just pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending