The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mazzaion
I think that's because they try to get a balance of different courses and nationalities/school type in each college ^.^

I really dislike that that's how they allocate colleges. Rather than where students would feel most comfortable and be most productive, whats more important to them is an algorithm designed ratio of different courses... -.-
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by TitanCream
I've been allocated to St Hild and Bilde. Where is the cost of the accommodation??

Hild and Bede looks gorgeous! You can find accommodation costs here https://www.dur.ac.uk/collegiate.office/charges/201617/undergraduate/
Original post by NimbleNeil
I really dislike that that's how they allocate colleges. Rather than where students would feel most comfortable and be most productive, whats more important to them is an algorithm designed ratio of different courses... -.-

I agree, though I do think it's also good that there's a range of different people everywhere and not just one 'public school college' or 'international college'. I wouldn't like to be the college allocation officer there...
Original post by SMer
Especially now colleges are being allocated, feel like we're in such a disadvantaged position!

I know! i feel like if i get an offer now ill just get whatever college is left haha :frown:
Reply 1824
I agree, though I do think it's also good that there's a range of different people everywhere and not just one 'public school college' or 'international college'. I wouldn't like to be the college allocation officer there...

I'm not sure if it's by school type/location mainly, to be honest, maybe subject choice which is what I've read somewhere , so there isn't a 'science college' or 'arts college' but rather a mix of subjects.

Take St Mary's, which is popular with scientists due to its location, which may get reallocated elsewhere, but some may have been moved there, perhaps they chose arts courses which are less popular there.

There is a table showing State/private school ratios and they're not equal, I remember J.Butler having the most state schooled (unsurprisingly) and perhaps University college having the most private but I'll try and find the link! Edit: Turns out to be Hatfield!

Here!
Applicants colleges: https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle1314/3-2-3CollegePreferencebySchoolTypeState-Independent.pdf

Entrants (where they actually go): https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle1314/3-4-3CollegeEntrantsbySchoolTypeState-Independent.pdf

If you compare the %ages between each document perhaps they have tried to even it out, with most colleges having between 50-60% state schooled, with the extremes being Hatfield and Butler.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sophie1998
I know! i feel like if i get an offer now ill just get whatever college is left haha :frown:

Oh dear... hopefully not, I might be shallow but I know the college I get allocated, if I do get an offer, will be a factor of decision since I'd really like one of the smaller ones :/

I'm scared stiff of my college allocation because I already firmed thinking it was pretty much guaranteed to get your chosen college. But now I've seen more people with other allocations than their chosen ones I'm a bit worried :frown: I can't really afford the £2500 ish markup for fully catered colleges, and even if i could, all I visited apart from hatfield gave me mild depression
I'm scared stiff of my college allocation because I already firmed thinking it was pretty much guaranteed to get your chosen college. But now I've seen more people with other allocations than their chosen ones I'm a bit worried :frown: I can't really afford the £2500 ish markup for fully catered colleges, and even if i could, all I visited apart from hatfield gave me mild depression

I think if you get another college you can still ask to change it, since you have reasons other than disliking the looks of your allocated ones... have you already been allocated one?
Reply 1828
Original post by sophie1998

Yeah, if I'm not allocated one I'm comfortable in I'd probably not firm Durham if they gave me an offer. Cos of the wait I'm doubting I'll even get an offer though:frown:

Yeah this is also one of my issues. I applied Open because I didn't fully anticipate the likelihood of being allocated to a fully catered hall as a mature student, but I recently heard that student-status isn't a factor (some colleges put you elsewhere if you'e mature, post-grad, phd etc) and being from a rather poor working back background, £7 rent is basically unaffordable unless I sell a kidney during summer.

BUT. We'll see. I may not even get an offer at all! There's still a month and a half of potential waiting time to go.
I think if you get another college you can still ask to change it, since you have reasons other than disliking the looks of your allocated ones... have you already been allocated one?

No allocation yet. But i'm more worried about the fact that I've already firmed, with the thought that getting allocated Butler was almost 100%. The student who took me around the place said if you firm and state x college as you preferred, you're highly likely to get in. But from what I've read firming seems to be irrelevant to the application process :colondollar:

I'm definitely not form a poor family, it's just that i don't think I'd spend that amount on food if i was self catering, and would restrict my time having to go back at x o clock for evening meal etc etc.

Durham website says this: "Durham University has a policy that once a college allocation is made then it is part of our broader offer and not something that would be changed at the applicant’s request. Having multi-disciplinary academic communities is very important to maintaining our unique collegiate experience and so our allocation process is designed to ensure that this academic balance is maintained." :redface:

I know it isn't the end of the world being allocated elsewhere, but if I'm paying £9,000 + £5-7,000 a year, I think it's reasonable to want what you're most comfortable with ;/
Original post by Ivoryfall
Yeah this is also one of my issues. I applied Open because I didn't fully anticipate the likelihood of being allocated to a fully catered hall as a mature student, but I recently heard that student-status isn't a factor (some colleges put you elsewhere if you'e mature, post-grad, phd etc) and being from a rather poor working back background, £7 rent is basically unaffordable unless I sell a kidney during summer.

BUT. We'll see. I may not even get an offer at all! There's still a month and a half of potential waiting time to go.

Good luck on your offer and I hope you get somewhere nice!
Same here... I applied to St John's and absolutely loved it and was allocated to Trevelyans too and I'm more than underwhelmed by it at the moment :frown: which course are you doing?
(edited 8 years ago)

I know it isn't the end of the world being allocated elsewhere, but if I'm paying £9,000 + £5-7,000 a year, I think it's reasonable to want what you're most comfortable with ;/

And THAT is the essential point. I am a 28 year old woman, I don't really want the tie-down of a curfew and restricted eating times and other people deciding my diet for me through catering, and I don't really have the right to complain seeing as how I misunderstood the application in regards to housing so I only really have myself to blame.
If I got an offer, I'd be over the moon, but unless it's self catering I don't know if I can manage it financially :/ Like I aid though, I'll wait and see and be patient - I might get lucky! But being comfortable really is what it comes down to.
Original post by Mld120
Same here... I applied to St John's and absolutely loved it and was allocated to Trevelyans too and I'm more than u drew helmed by it at the moment :frown: which course are you doing?

Bsc Geology, only around 100 students a year so i'm really hoping that works in my favor with the subject quota's. I know what you mean when you say it's underwhelming, on the open day I was quite disappointed with all but a few of the colleges. The university itself makes up for it of course but it's definitely a weak point imo.
Of course I may just be being snobby:tongue:
I got unconditional from Grey College. Has anyone heard about it?
Original post by skhuller
got allocated to st aidans college, anyone else?? anyone visited it before?

Yeah I stayed there for my summer school it was actually all right
I haven't been allocated a college yet - I was wondering whether there's a chance I could be put into the Queens campus? I really don't want to be there as I loved the campus in Durham - would they let you know on their offer before college allocation if it were to be at Queens or Durham? Thanks
Original post by JamieOH
So people who applied St Marys are getting allocated other colleges but I get allocated to St Marys? :frown:

Just out of curiously what was it about St Mary's you don't like?
Original post by Robynb_97
been allocated to st. hild and st. bede:s-smilie: the one college i really didn't wait (i hate gilesgate roundabout :h:)

Which did you apply to? And what course? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest