The Student Room Group

Please David, don't do this to our schools!?!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Please don't correct me on my use of language. You are no expert yourself.
Original post by john2054
Please don't correct me on my use of language. You are no expert yourself.

I like it how you didn't quote like you didn't want me to find, in fact my grammar is beyond better than yours. Maybe one day you'll grow up and don't react like a 13 year old reading the news about the new GCSEs again.
Reply 42
Original post by ckfeister
I never subscribed you dummy. Ok so, the bold is the errors. Also, if your so mature and smart you would realise bottom universities are looked down on and the past they will ask about to why your at university when you have a family. Something doughy going on there.

Not capitalizing an i in English, is an error in 'correct' English, but perfectly acceptable in internet chat. Also starting a sentence with an 'And' may get you a cross for proper academic language, however again is perfectly acceptable in internet talk.

I have to remind you that English, and indeed language in general is a process and not an end. A means to an end. Please read up on Gramsci's hegemony, and Sasurre's linguistics if you want to have a little bit more insight in to language and it's use, rather than just 'Oh i got four a*s at a level so i clearly know more than you'.

And for your information Derby is actually a very good university. Plus a degree from Derby is worth a lot more than gcses at some school, or even a levels okay?

My degree took five years. And the fact that i have a step daughter and wife, should have nothing to do with it. I also have a history of mental health problems, and i also consider myself a revolutionary okay?

Ask your mum.
Reply 43
Original post by ckfeister
I like it how you didn't quote like you didn't want me to find, in fact my grammar is beyond better than yours. Maybe one day you'll grow up and don't react like a 13 year old reading the news about the new GCSEs again.

i'm blocking you now btw
i'm blocking you now btw

:clap2::congrats::dancing2::dancing:
okay year 13. sorry son but i out rank you, in pretty much every way. have a nice day

It's odd to see someone reading sociology/theatre studies at an ex-poly who has never even had a job claim they outrank others in "pretty much every way".
Reply 46
okay i've blocked him now. if any one else wants to join that list, just piss me off more than once and i will be happy to oblige, okay??
Reply 47
Best decision he's made to do with education. I hate coursework because everyone just cheats in it and gets away with it. Its not a test of how intelligent you are, its a test of how good you are at cheating.
Reply 48
Original post by asox
Best decision he's made to do with education. I hate coursework because everyone just cheats in it and gets away with it. Its not a test of how intelligent you are, its a test of how good you are at cheating.

I didn't cheat in my day at school some 20 years ago. And as i have already said, doing a university dissertation, in the humanities, is quite like coursework i'm afraid. Clearly i am out of touch.
Reply 49
I didn't cheat in my day at school some 20 years ago. And as i have already said, doing a university dissertation, in the humanities, is quite like coursework i'm afraid. Clearly i am out of touch.

As you said yourself you did coursework at school 20 years ago. People may not have cheated then but its second nature now.
Reply 50
Original post by asox
As you said yourself you did coursework at school 20 years ago. People may not have cheated then but its second nature now.

so it would seem. sadly
This guy looks and sounds like a downy. **** degree, **** uni.
coursework is much closer to a degree education than 100% exams, im afraid

The vast, vast majority of degrees are still primarily exam based.

At best you're looking at a 60/40 split, so 60% of your mark coming from exams and 40% from coursework, and even then that's best case scenario. I've had plenty of modules which have been 80% exams.
Reply 53
Original post by mackemforever
The vast, vast majority of degrees are still primarily exam based.

At best you're looking at a 60/40 split, so 60% of your mark coming from exams and 40% from coursework, and even then that's best case scenario. I've had plenty of modules which have been 80% exams.

which degree are you doing mf, my degree has been mainly coursework (assignments) i'm afraid. Sure i've had about three or four exams, but they are so subjective, for example whether you have revised the right material, i much prefer coursework modules. The fact that i don't ever cheat on my coursework, apparently makes me the exception.
which degree are you doing mf, my degree has been mainly coursework (assignments) i'm afraid. Sure i've had about three or four exams, but they are so subjective, for example whether you have revised the right material, i much prefer coursework modules. The fact that i don't ever cheat on my coursework, apparently makes me the exception.

I'll rephrase that.

Most proper degrees are primarily exam based.
Original post by asox

On the flipside, you can pass a certain type of exam by just memorising facts and hardly having to use any other mental faculties. Memory does not equal intelligence.
Reply 56
Original post by mackemforever
I'll rephrase that.

Most proper degrees are primarily exam based.

you still haven't told me which proper degree you're doing mackem. And why mine isn't a 'proper' degree, whatever that means?

jr
Original post by _Bright Eyes
On the flipside, you can pass a certain type of exam by just memorising facts and hardly having to use any other mental faculties. Memory does not equal intelligence.

The majority of exams have MANY application questions, where you apply the knowledge to unfamiliar situations. And yes, it's great thing that our education system does reward memory because this means it also rewards hard work. And hard work is what you need in life.
Original post by BioStudentx
The majority of exams have MANY application questions, where you apply the knowledge to unfamiliar situations. And yes, it's great thing that our education system does reward memory because this means it also rewards hard work. And hard work is what you need in life.

Hard work for the sake of hard work is pointless. It's what you put the hard work into that counts. Putting it into memorising things you'll never need to know is pointless.
Original post by _Bright Eyes
Hard work for the sake of hard work is pointless. It's what you put the hard work into that counts. Putting it into memorising things you'll never need to know is pointless.

You completely missed the point. It went right over your head. It creates a more hardworking generation (which is exactly what we want). And in all walks of life, we will have to memorise things. Memory is a vital part of being a functional human.

Quick Reply

Latest