The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

which EEE departments is the best? Cardiff or loughborough?
Struggling to choose between Southampton and Imperial, both offers are A*AA.

I prefer the Southampton course and campus, but I fell like it'd be a mistake not choosing Imperial due to its reputation and the doors it can open for a career not in engineering.

Any opinions? Would help a lot
Original post by MahuduElec

I prefer the Southampton course and campus, but I fell like it'd be a mistake not choosing Imperial due to its reputation and the doors it can open for a career not in engineering.

If you already think you don't want to be in an engineering field after graduating and you want to leave that door open, then definitely go for Imperial. However both departments are excellent in terms of EEE and to be honest, it just comes down to whichever you preferred when you visited (presuming you want to stay in engineering after)

I applied to both myself, ended up firming Southampton. I thought it was much better in just about every way (bar international reputation), with it's extraordinary new facilities, course customization, and industrial connections too, so it's my preferred one. The cost of living in London was also a deterrent from Imperial too...

If you stayed in the industry, So'ton would be the better choice. Employers across the country are already well aware of the excellent quality of their graduates. But I see your point, if you were to decide that a career in EEE isn't really for you, then maybe Imperial would have been the better bet.
no much need in math
Original post by jameshan
no much need in math

i agree :yy:
Original post by Stickman
If you already think you don't want to be in an engineering field after graduating and you want to leave that door open, then definitely go for Imperial. However both departments are excellent in terms of EEE and to be honest, it just comes down to whichever you preferred when you visited (presuming you want to stay in engineering after)

Definitely preferred Southampton on the day. I do want to go into engineering, its just I don't know how I would feel at the end of the course, especially Imperials.

Original post by Alexion
I applied to both myself, ended up firming Southampton. I thought it was much better in just about every way (bar international reputation), with it's extraordinary new facilities, course customization, and industrial connections too, so it's my preferred one. The cost of living in London was also a deterrent from Imperial too...

If you stayed in the industry, So'ton would be the better choice. Employers across the country are already well aware of the excellent quality of their graduates. But I see your point, if you were to decide that a career in EEE isn't really for you, then maybe Imperial would have been the better bet.

Thanks for this, amazing to find someone who was in the same situation as me. I have a few questions. How easy is it to land a job after graduating from ECS? Do employers really want you or is it like any other uni, where u apply everywhere and receive a lot of rejections.

Also, how is the workload at Southampton and do you feel you get enough help from the staff when there? Thanks for reading
Thanks for this, amazing to find someone who was in the same situation as me. I have a few questions. How easy is it to land a job after graduating from ECS? Do employers really want you or is it like any other uni, where u apply everywhere and receive a lot of rejections.

Also, how is the workload at Southampton and do you feel you get enough help from the staff when there? Thanks for reading

Haha, didn't mean I already did it, I'll be starting this year too :cute: but I did my research and everything points towards Southampton being the single best choice for EE in the country.
Definitely preferred Southampton on the day. I do want to go into engineering, its just I don't know how I would feel at the end of the course, especially Imperials.

Well even I can't tell you then how you would feel at the end of the course - but remember if you go to Imperial you will incur in the short term high living costs. That can be compensated by the fact that, if you do well, you will reap the benefits of the name of Imperial. That said, S'ton isn't a name to be taken too lightly. It's just Imperial is internationally known, and employers across the world know what students go through academically if they graduate from Imperial, but I'm not too sure if they know about S'ton. In the short term you will have a much cheaper lifestyle at S'ton and if you want to stay in the UK in the future then S'ton is definitely the uni to go to.
What percentage do pass first year? for loughborough university
Was meant to attend Cardiff for an applicants day on Friday. As i already have 3 offers i did not go and did not tell them why?. Surprisingly got an offer from them today. AAB.

just waiting on Bristol now
Original post by hedgemonkey
Was meant to attend Cardiff for an applicants day on Friday. As i already have 3 offers i did not go and did not tell them why?. Surprisingly got an offer from them today. AAB.

just waiting on Bristol now

Congrats on you!!
Anyone got offer or anything from Bristol?
Just got my Imperial offer, awaiting conditions
Can anyone who went to the southampton open day care to talk about the facilities? Somehow managed an offer despite missing the open day bookings...
I'm a first year at Soton, the facilities are great. The labs were refurbished this year, the second floor is used for all the teaching labs and the third floor is like a work space.
Original post by OhRickiursofine
I'm a first year at Soton, the facilities are great. The labs were refurbished this year, the second floor is used for all the teaching labs and the third floor is like a work space.

I've heard great things about it and I know they've recently put a lot of money into the department.

I haven't visited many places so I don't have much to go by.

How do you feel it compares to other universities (ones that you've visited)?
Original post by thad33
I've heard great things about it and I know they've recently put a lot of money into the department.

I haven't visited many places so I don't have much to go by.

How do you feel it compares to other universities (ones that you've visited)?

How the facilities compare to other unis? Soton is definitely at/among the top. I visited Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, and Bath, but that was almost 2 years ago now so my information might be outdated. I personally prefer to work in a modern environment so the labs in Bristol and Manchester didn't really appeal to me, however their equipment looked similar to every other uni lab. If I were you I'd look into what kind of environment you want to work in, and find out which facilities best match your preferences. You'll be spending a lot of time in them so take some time to think about it!
Original post by OhRickiursofine
How the facilities compare to other unis? Soton is definitely at/among the top. I visited Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, and Bath, but that was almost 2 years ago now so my information might be outdated. I personally prefer to work in a modern environment so the labs in Bristol and Manchester didn't really appeal to me, however their equipment looked similar to every other uni lab. If I were you I'd look into what kind of environment you want to work in, and find out which facilities best match your preferences. You'll be spending a lot of time in them so take some time to think about it!

I think I might ask if I can come down and have a look.

I visited UCL and leaning towards that because I'm unsure about what I want to do in the future and I know I can keep options more open there.
However so many people have raved about Southampton and I feel like I'm missing something. I know if I was definitely going to stay in engineering then I'd be seriously considering Southampton a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
I think I might ask if I can come down and have a look.

I visited UCL and leaning towards that because I'm unsure about what I want to do in the future and I know I can keep options more open there.
However so many people have raved about Southampton and I feel like I'm missing something. I know if I was definitely going to stay in engineering then I'd be seriously considering Southampton a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've seen small groups of applicants getting tours every now and then, so it's definitely worth emailing and seeing if you can get a tour.

Both options are great choices, you'll be fine at either. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest