The Student Room Group

One of the uni's I applied to requested details of what other schools I've applied to

Hi

I applied to 4 medicine programmes in the UK: KCL, Keele's, Leicester's and Queen's University Belfast.

I was under the understanding that the individual schools, as a right of the student, do not have rights to know what other programmes/universities a student applies to so as to protect from bias/prejudice.

Well one of the universities I applied to above sent me an email requesting information about all my previous UCAS applications, including the one I made this year and to what other programmes and universities I applied to. Is this question even allowed? Does the university in question even have a right to know let alone ask?

What would the most appropriate thing to do be here? Officially, UCAS does not provide details to the universities about the student's application to other schools. However, should one refrain from sharing these details risking perhaps the university in question already knowing, or should you risk bias/prejudice by revealing all of your choices? It's not as if you could "lie" and say you only applied to their university, who in their right mind only applies to 1 of their 4 allowed choices for medical schools?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soal
Hi

I applied to 4 medicine programmes in the UK: KCL, Keele's, Leicester's and Queen's University Belfast.

I was under the understanding that the individual schools, as a right of the student, do not have rights to know what other programmes/universities a student applies to so as to protect from bias/prejudice.

Well one of the universities I applied to above sent me an email requesting information about all my previous UCAS applications, including the one I made this year and to what other programmes and universities I applied to. Is this question even allowed? Does the university in question even have a right to know let alone ask?

What would the most appropriate thing to do be here? Officially, UCAS does not provide details to the universities about the student's application to other schools. However, should one refrain from sharing these details risking perhaps the university in question already knowing, or should you risk bias/prejudice by revealing all of your choices? It's not as if you could "lie" and say you only applied to their university, who in their right mind only applies to 1 of their 4 allowed choices for medical schools?

You can refuse to tell them, as you say yourself UCAS don't allow them to access that information until you have firmed/withdrawn from your choices.
Reply 2
Nosey bastards. :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by soal

Name and shame the uni asking for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm also under the impression that they are not allowed to ask! They will be given the info by UCAS, automatically, once you have firmed and insured your unis. This is to avoid bias in the selection process - I can see no reason why they would need the info at this stage if it was not going to influence the selection process.

I'd be interested to know @PQ's views on this - should the OP report it to UCAS?
Definitely name and shame and contact UCAS about this.

They shouldn't be asking - this information is withheld for a reason.
Original post by PQ
Definitely name and shame and contact UCAS about this.

They shouldn't be asking - this information is withheld for a reason.

PQ knows what she's on about - do this (particularly the latter part).

If nothing else, reporting to UCAS will help to protect other candidates who are less well clued up than you are. It's not going to affect your selection because they won't know it was you who reported them - they will have sent this email to everyone.
I agree with the others on the thread, you need to contact UCAS about this ASAP.. I'd also be very interested to know which uni is asking you to do this. Would you be willing to PM me the name of the uni, if you aren't willing to share it on the open forums?

This won't harm your application, because as @Origami Bullets says, they will have sent this email to everyone. Chances are you won't be the only person to report them.
Am i missing something here? I always thought they get your school info automatically. I know mine all did. In fact exeter dropped my engineering offer from AAA to ABB because apparently my school isn't the best.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm sure my school details were on my reference. Is that not allowed?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
Am i missing something here? I always thought they get your school info automatically. I know mine all did. In fact exeter dropped my engineering offer from AAA to ABB because apparently my school isn't the best.

I think my school details were on my reference actually

OP is using school in the americanism way - referring to college (us) or uni (uk).
Reply 10
Original post by Lawliettt

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm sure my school details were on my reference. Is that not allowed?

Medical "school" not sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I am refraining from naming the university just yet to protect myself, though I will probably report this to UCAS.

If I "refuse" or simply not tell the university what other universities I've applied to, don't I run the risk of appearing as if I'm "lying" or "uncooperating" since they probably already assume/know students apply to 4 medicine programmes? Is there any way universities can unofficially find out where a student applies through connections, etc?

Also: the university in question gave me until February 11th to respond. I waited until the last day, Thursday the 11th, to respond since I was very distressed about what to do and tell them, since they asked me a question they shouldn't ask. Well I logged in to UCAS Track and found out that the university had rejected my application due to "not responding to the correspondence", which I did on the last day, and that "I'd no longer be considered for this university". I emailed the university about this twice, and got the same reply twice, namely that "my certificate copies (which I sent on the 11th) have been forwarded and that the university will 'contact me' should I be 'considered' for interview". Somehow I feel like this was just a formality since I asked them about being rejected in spite of me responding to the email on the last day, but that in actuality they have already discarded my application.

I feel slighted, mistreated and robbed of my chances to attend this university, and frankly, they shouldn't have put me in this position by asking an "illegal" question in the first place and now arguably having discarded my application and told me that "I'd be contacted if selected for interview" as a platitude.

Should I confront them about this? But then again how would that affect my now minuscule chances? I don't believe I've been treated right here. @PQ @Origami Bullets @SlowlorisIncognito
(edited 8 years ago)
the reason they have asked is to reply to you at the right time as each uni has a different time scale and they want to give you the offer at a good time so you are not waiting for them to make a decision or to pick their interview dates -what if 2 unis wanted you on the same day?. At postgrad they often ask where else you applied. The info will not influence you application success. Do talk to UCAS, but don't worry about it. Good Luck!
Please name them, that will be rather interesting :biggrin:
There not allowed to do that. Don't tell them, it's none of their business.
Reply 15
Original post by soal
Is there any way universities can unofficially find out where a student applies through connections, etc?

No they only find out when you Firm your choices.

This is all very strange... sorry to read about the hassles they are giving you.

Do you have any offers from the others?

Also you have nothing to lose by naming them and it may benefit others in the future. They can't identify you from 2 posts on TSR anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by soal
I am refraining from naming the university just yet to protect myself, though I will probably report this to UCAS.

If I "refuse" or simply not tell the university what other universities I've applied to, don't I run the risk of appearing as if I'm "lying" or "uncooperating" since they probably already assume/know students apply to 4 medicine programmes? Is there any way universities can unofficially find out where a student applies through connections, etc?

Also: the university in question gave me until February 11th to respond. I waited until the last day, Thursday the 11th, to respond since I was very distressed about what to do and tell them, since they asked me a question they shouldn't ask. Well I logged in to UCAS Track and found out that the university had rejected my application due to "not responding to the correspondence", which I did on the last day, and that "I'd no longer be considered for this university". I emailed the university about this twice, and got the same reply twice, namely that "my certificate copies (which I sent on the 11th) have been forwarded and that the university will 'contact me' should I be 'considered' for interview". Somehow I feel like this was just a formality since I asked them about being rejected in spite of me responding to the email on the last day, but that in actuality they have already discarded my application.

I feel slighted, mistreated and robbed of my chances to attend this university, and frankly, they shouldn't have put me in this position by asking an "illegal" question in the first place and now arguably having discarded my application and told me that "I'd be contacted if selected for interview" as a platitude.

Should I confront them about this? But then again how would that affect my now minuscule chances? I don't believe I've been treated right here. @PQ @Origami Bullets @SlowlorisIncognito

Report the university to UCAS asap. They absolutely cannot ask for the other universities you have applied to and if they rejected you before the deadline given for you to respond as well, that is also not ok.

I would no longer enter into direct correspondence with the university, and deal with UCAS only.
Reply 17
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Report the university to UCAS asap. They absolutely cannot ask for the other universities you have applied to and if they rejected you before the deadline given for you to respond as well, that is also not ok.

I would no longer enter into direct correspondence with the university, and deal with UCAS only.

But what can I stand to gain from contacting only UCAS at THIS point? Can I gain a spot on the programme? Is the university more likely to give me a spot or not? Can UCAS force them to "reconsider me", what ever that means, or make them give me an offer? Or is me telling the university I will make a complaint with UCAS, or just filing the complaint without telling them, going to make them less likely to make me an offer? @PQ @Origami Bullets @SlowlorisIncognito

This is all just horrible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by soal
But what can I stand to gain from contacting only UCAS at THIS point? Can I gain a spot on the programme? Is the university more likely to give me a spot or not? Can UCAS force them to "reconsider me", what ever that means, or make them give me an offer? Or is me telling the university I will make a complaint with UCAS, or just filing the complaint without telling them, going to make them less likely to make me an offer? @PQ @Origami Bullets @SlowlorisIncognito

This is all just horrible.

UCAS can take this up with their head of admissions - they can't force a reconsideration but it sounds like there are some staff at this university who don't understand UCAS rules and are breaking them. That's something that most heads of admissions will try to sort out if they find out it is happening - especially with some pressure applied from UCAS.

Because this is a medicine application (and also because I assume from your posts you're an international applicant and so places are severely restricted) there's not a lot of hope for getting an offer at this point. Holding the university to account shouldn't affect your chances of an offer (and if the head of admissions is a good one then they'll make sure that your application has been treated fairly at all points) and it should prevent any other applicants being put in your situation in the future.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
UCAS can take this up with their head of admissions - they can't force a reconsideration but it sounds like there are some staff at this university who don't understand UCAS rules and are breaking them. That's something that most heads of admissions will try to sort out if they find out it is happening - especially with some pressure applied from UCAS.

Because this is a medicine application (and also because I assume from your posts you're an international applicant and so places are severely restricted) there's not a lot of hope for getting an offer at this point. Holding the university to account shouldn't affect your chances of an offer (and if the head of admissions is a good one then they'll make sure that your application has been treated fairly at all points) and it should prevent any other applicants being put in your situation in the future.

I'm not an international applicant, applying from Europe making me a "Home student".

Also, the one who sent me the original email asking me for the details of my other university applications was the head of admissions at that university.

So basically what I'm understanding is that my chances of attending this university are already foregone and whatever action I take now is simply to prevent or aid in this not befalling other students? I'd be happy to do that if I could make a positive difference, however it feels awful to be rejected on "illegal" grounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending