The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aadin_
Lmao you're trying to say something is Haram when you can't even spell the word.

It's not an English word, the two aa's is done to stress how the second syllable is pronounced in a sort of elongated way.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Right because you clearly can't analyse she's wrote it in a manner that portrays her family in a negative light she brings her sister into it even tho she hasn't done anything to her directly. Many marriages end in divorce in today's world this is just a fact. Why she would want to throw her parents respect and have nothing to do with them is beyond me. Yes you said yourself she's 18 shes an adult. People have little value to parents now what about the 18 years her parents spent looking after her giving her food shelter sleepless nights personal sacrifices they've made. And now because she's in "love" her parents are unreasonable and strict...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you apparently weren't privy to the memorandum, it may interest you to learn that "giving [...] food and shelter" is actually the baseline standard of parenthood permitted within civilised society and an automatic corollary to the not-at-all vain, egotistical or self-aggrandising act of furthering one's genetic line, much as someone who nominates themselves for a job at an egg-packing facility would, at a minimum, be expected to pack eggs. Consequently, unless you inhabit a post-World War II anachronism whereby the mere biological function of procreation itself fulfils some vital civic duty, the idea of forebears as inherently deserving of anyone's respect—let alone that of their beleaguered, mistreated offspring—is among the most profoundly wrongheaded and insidious notions to pervade social mores in our post-millennial age.
Reply 102
Original post by 4 al-Quds dayz
It's not an English word, the two aa's is done to stress how the second syllable is pronounced in a sort of elongated way.

Oh I didn't know
Reply 103
Im Muslim and seriously if you like the Guy go for it. You don't have to get married to a Muslim it's your Life and I know Muslim Parents can be a pain but you gotta convince them
Original post by aadin_
Lmao you're trying to say something is Haram when you can't even spell the word.

The more you know.
You do know majority of Muslims see religion bigger than people even if it's father/mother, son/daughter etc
Original post by Profesh
Since you apparently weren't privy to the memorandum, it may interest you to learn that "giving [...] food and shelter" is actually the baseline standard of parenthood permitted within civilised society and an automatic corollary to the not-at-all vain, egotistical or self-aggrandising act of furthering one's genetic line, much as someone who nominates themselves for a job at an egg-packing facility would, at a minimum, be expected to pack eggs. Consequently, unless you inhabit a post-World War II anachronism whereby the mere biological function of procreation itself fulfils some vital civic duty, the idea of forebears as inherently deserving of anyone's respect—let alone that of their beleaguered, mistreated offspring—is among the most profoundly wrongheaded and insidious notions to pervade social mores in our post-millennial age.

It's like that Chris Rock standup

'Well I look after my kids'

'You're supposed to look after your kids :rolleyes:'
Original post by Anonymous
no one here is doing that

muslim men can marry christian and jewish women. how is it not inclusive? it's logical, it's difficult to raise a family when husband and wife are of completely different faiths, except the abrahamic faiths are similar so it's more likely to work. Rules in Islam are based of family compatibility when it comes to marriage.

you're saying this as if every muslim man abuses his wife, and whichever muslim man she marries will cheat on her and make her life hell. for ****s sake grow up.

That's even more illogical. The men can do it, but the women can't? Why not have both men and women can't? I don't have anything against you believing this, but I just find it illogical.
It's like that Chris Rock standup

'Well I look after my kids'

'You're supposed to look after your kids :rolleyes:'

Hah, indeed:

Original post by ViewsFromSi6
Religion is not a race pal

Hence the quotes, because everything social-justice-related is a reason to be ‘racist’ on TSR… pal.
Original post by joshjones15
That's even more illogical. The men can do it, but the women can't? Why not have both men and women can't? I don't have anything against you believing this, but I just find it illogical.

it's more unfair that it is illogical.
It's because men tend to be more dominant.
If the wife is christian or jew, she will teach her kids about the prophets that the muslim man already believes in and the husband (usually more dominant) will support and implement this.
if the women is muslim and she starts teaching the kids about a prophet the man doesn't believe in....
Original post by SemperLiber
Would it be safer to say that today's Pakistani culture is a mix of both traditional Pakistani culture and Islam?

You know there is a saying that goes you see Muslims in the east but no Islam and you see Islam in the west but no Muslims. I think it's very true. Islam, like all the other religions is a spiritual one, you find peace and solace in it, but people are so attached to their conservative and backward cultures/ideologies that they forget islam came to make their life easier. People are so accustomed to their cultural upbringing they just pick and choose from the religion to suit them and when that happens all the time, naturally without a second thought, you would think that these practices stem from Islam.
it's more unfair that it is illogical.
It's because men tend to be more dominant.
If the wife is christian or jew, she will teach her kids about the prophets that the muslim man already believes in and the husband (usually more dominant) will support and implement this.
if the women is muslim and she starts teaching the kids about a prophet the man doesn't believe in....

And that style of thinking is more relevant to 7th century Arabia and the Middle Ages. Nowadays there's no reason why the man's beliefs should automatically take precedence over the woman's.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Why would she have an Islamic one if her boyfriend isn't Muslim..?

Well she can marry him but she shouldn't be calling herself a muslim as it goes against her religion marrying a non muslim and i don't see her parents being pleased unless he converts.
Is it not?

It's just, in Islam, marrying and divorcing is actually extremely easy, like buying a new car, you don't like that one any more, too many miles in the clock, take it to the local dealer and switch for a newer model.

If anything Desi culture is more kind to women because they have nice dresses and really special weddings as opposed to Islam which is brutally austere.

Islam permits a man can have up to 4 wives as long as they are treated fairly by the husband hence 'easy' to marry. There's a channel 4 documentary recently. 'The men with many wives' give it a watch.
Original post by ViewsFromSi6
Islam permits a man can have up to 4 wives as long as they are treated fairly by the husband hence 'easy' to marry. There's a channel 4 documentary recently. 'The men with many wives' give it a watch.

What if a woman wants four husbands?
sorry, but I don't care one little bit. :smile:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I think you'll find that in the UK she most certainly can marry a non-Muslim.

Shouldn't have allowed herself to fall in love? Falling in love isn't something you choose to do.

I'm sick of Muslims on this thread saying this because it's a non-argument. What if you walk out on to the street today and you get hit by a car? What if you become paralysed tomorrow? What if ISIS drops a nuclear bomb on Europe next week and destroys it? There are an infinite number of excuses that one can invent, but if we all lived like that then we wouldn't do anything. The point is, you can't predict many things in life, it's just as possible that her relationship with him will work out in the end. It's also possible that if she were to marry a Muslim man that she'd be desperately unhappy with him and that that relationship wouldn't work out.

Living under your parents' roof gives them no right to dictate your beliefs and who you get into relationships with I'm afraid. She is an adult and can make those decisions herself, regardless of where she's living.

Well the more you spend time with a person, the more you will develop feelings for them. You can choose not to fall in love if there was some sort of boundaries set from the start. And there are plenty of fish in the sea but she can't get over him. She needs to be realistic. If he's not into her the way she's into him and her family are not buying the relationship, then there's a chance it won't work and it's a lose-lose situation.

I believe if parents are paying the bills, rent ect then even though she may very well be an adult, she needs to respect their rules. If she doesn't like it then she can always get a job and move out to live independently.
Well she can marry him but she shouldn't be calling herself a muslim as it goes against her religion marrying a non muslim and i don't see her parents being pleased unless he converts.

She can call herself whatever she wants. In Islam the only sin that takes you out of the religion is shirk. And as to her parents, she will have to decide whether she wants to sacrifice her life to make them happy or live her own life regardless of what they think of it.
Original post by RosyPearl
Well the more you spend time with a person, the more you will develop feelings for them. You can choose not to fall in love if there was some sort of boundaries set from the start. And there are plenty of fish in the sea but she can't get over him. She needs to be realistic. If he's not into her the way she's into him and her family are not buying the relationship, then there's a chance it won't work and it's a lose-lose situation.

But there's no reason for her to want to do that precisely because she loves him and wants to be with him.

I believe if parents are paying the bills, rent ect then even though she may very well be an adult, she needs to respect their rules. If she doesn't like it then she can always get a job and move out to live independently.

I'm afraid it isn't a question of what you believe, but rather one of UK law. She is an adult and thus can legally make her own decisions in all matters.

Latest

Trending

Trending