The Student Room Group

Surgery that could allow trans women to have children of their own...

Scroll to see replies

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me thinks it's great that these women are given the opportunity to carry a child if they want to, but another part of me feels like they're getting to cut corners. They don't have to live with periods & regular aches and pains for 35+ years of their life. They get the reward without going through any of the pain.
Great news.
Original post by BaconandSauce
What does this even mean?

Original post by AngryJellyfish

'Oh no, this lady I hate has ovaries! Now I've got no choice but to marry them!'

...relationships don't usually work like that.

Original post by SophieSmall
This is the first time I've ever seen you post something so ridiculous on this site. Extremely surprised and disappointed.

I mean that there are people who necessarily don't want to have a relationship with transsexuals, and one of the points they would raise is that they want kids. Now however, I can see transwomen hiding the fact they're male because they've addressed the child issue.

Face it, some guys just don't want to have a relationship with them. But this opens the door for even more secrecy.

Just to clarify, i'm not against it because it's playing God or whatever. Frankly, I don't care. But what I do care about is other's being affected by it.

And I'm sorry Sophie :frown: too good to last haha

Original post by digistar_100
Disgusting and shows how far human society is falling. No matter what you do you will never change someone born male into a female, they will still have the male set of chromosomes in every cell of their body. Next we will have gay guys asking to get pregnant and what not.

Don't count on that. I'm sure there's going to be a viral treatment in the next few years allowing the Y chromosome to be replaced.
Live and let live, this is evolution - granted sped up at a slightly alarming rate but we were made to play God. There is no God so we must take it upon ourselves to take the role. I hope it's a safe procedure and Trans Women can live the lives they want to.
Original post by donutellme
I mean that there are people who necessarily don't want to have a relationship with transsexuals, and one of the points they would raise is that they want kids. Now however, I can see transwomen hiding the fact they're male because they've addressed the child issue.

Face it, some guys just don't want to have a relationship with them. But this opens the door for even more secrecy.

Just to clarify, i'm not against it because it's playing God or whatever. Frankly, I don't care. But what I do care about is other's being affected by it.

And I'm sorry Sophie :frown: too good to last haha

Don't count on that. I'm sure there's going to be a viral treatment in the next few years allowing the Y chromosome to be replaced.

I disagree with people tricking others and being dishonest, but I don't think this a purely trans issue. People trick people they're in a relationship in a lot of ways. This is just one more possibility.
So does this also mean that women who aren't able to have kids can have the surgery? If not then it shouldn't be available to anyone.
This is messed up what is the world coming to where people's main thought of this is using it on men rather than women with actual health problems
Original post by bassbabe
So does this also mean that women who aren't able to have kids can have the surgery? If not then it shouldn't be available to anyone.

Yes. This surgical technique isn't actually that new, I remember reading about the first uterus transplant quite a few years ago. And there was a more recent case of a mother donating her uterus to her daughter whose uterus couldn't carry a foetus to term.

From the article in the first post:

"The transplant could be conducted on a woman ‘born without a uterus, or who had it removed or have uterine damage’"

Other options are already available for women who have a uterus, but cannot conceive naturally for other reasons.
Original post by ♡ ♡
This is messed up what is the world coming to where people's main thought of this is using it on men rather than women with actual health problems

No.

This modern surgical technique has previously pretty much just been successfully used on genetic females who for one reason or another could not carry children.

Educate yourself before you start making assumptions.
(edited 8 years ago)

Was thinking this too.
That article appears as if it's only eligible to those without a uterus but says nothing about infetile women or those with a condition that makes it extremely difficult to conceive naturally. They should get priority imo
It's a great thing and I am happy for them.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
From the article in the first post:

"The transplant could be conducted on a woman ‘born without a uterus, or who had it removed or have uterine damage’"

Other options are already available for women who have a uterus, but cannot conceive naturally for other reasons.

These other options don't include the ability to carry a child naturally though, which I'm sure they'd much rather do, so they should be eligible
Reply 53

Yeah they can, if you read the article, it said iy there.
Original post by digistar_100
Now that society condones this rather than discourage well see people changing races and even species next because they want to rebel.

I'm sure you're painting this as a bad thing, but surely if it makes somebody happy, what difference does it make to anyone else?

With regard to changing species, perhaps it may happen in my lifetime, and if it does, I certainly wouldn't say no to having a pair of wings in order to avoid having to take the tube.
I think some people are far too obsessed with what they aren't lol.

That being said, this article is a few paragraphs and barely explains how the procedure would work. I'm guessing it's extremely unlikely a pregnancy from this would not result in a miscarriage.
Original post by SophieSmall
No.

This surgical technique has previously only been used on genetic females who for one reason or another could not carry children.

Educate yourself before you start making assumptions.

I understand that u stuck up spud. The title of the thread was showing focusing on the treatment being used on men. The title of the report was also saying that.
Original post by ♡ ♡
I understand that u stuck up spud. The title of the thread was showing focusing on the treatment being used on men. The title of the report was also saying that.

Well, that's kind of besides the point (I'm supporting you here, not the person you replied to). In the article it only mentions the procedure being used on genetic women, so the title of the article is just clickbait.
Original post by ♡ ♡

The ignorance is strong in you.

I suppose you never bother to read past one single source and take everything you read as gospel then?

Honestly...some people.
Original post by Blue_Mason
I do not see in why a trans woman should be given the right to conceive, as it goes against nature

Ask nature her opinion

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest