The Student Room Group

Which degree is better? (Financial Career)

a) Economics [BSc] at LSE

OR

b) Computer Science [MSc] (Artificial Intelligence) at Imperial College

I am studying the following:

Mathematics, Further Mathematics (AS - FP1,D1,S3), Economics, Computer Science, Government & Politics (AS) and CISI (Securities & Investment Qualification)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm guessing compsci would be better for fintech and econ would be better for non fintech?
Reply 2
Original post by Shumaya
I'm guessing compsci would be better for fintech and econ would be better for non fintech?

Most Investment Banking is done with AI systems
Original post by AstarAstarA

OR

Mathematics, Further Mathematics (AS - FP1,D1,S3), Economics, Computer Science, Government & Politics (AS) and CISI (Securities & Investment Qualification)

Either one. The latter would keep the option of joining a quant/HFT prop firm or quant hedge fund open.

I'll move this to the IB forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most Investment Banking is done with AI systems

This is false, only cash equities is mainly done with algos. Actual I-banking (M&A) can't be automated due to how human the business is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
makes little to no difference op
Reply 6
Economics at Lse if you like exon more and compact at imperial if you like comp sci more. For m&a you're better off with economics and for some trading as well economics will help you to understand how markets work. But computer science is good if you want to become a quantitative trader or something technical like that. Plus, if you fail to get into banking, you can always apply for tech jobs as a plan b.
You can't compare an undergraduate degree against a postgraduate degree.
Reply 8

OR

MSc is postgrad and therefore not comparable at any level to the LSE course. You need to do a (related) BSc before starting a MSc...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Economics at Lse if you like exon more and compact at imperial if you like comp sci more. For m&a you're better off with economics and for some trading as well economics will help you to understand how markets work. But computer science is good if you want to become a quantitative trader or something technical like that. Plus, if you fail to get into banking, you can always apply for tech jobs as a plan b.

You're not really better off either way for M&A. Econ has literally nothing to do with the type of work you'll have to do as an M&A analyst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
MSc is postgrad and therefore not comparable at any level to the LSE course. You need to do a (related) BSc before starting a MSc...

Think he means MEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Princepieman
Think he means MEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, that course is an MSc
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/computing/artificial-intelligence/

There's no UG CompSci with AI course at Imperial...

Although s/he may just mean the plain MEng Comp course, but s/he's refered to it as an MSc in two different threads now.

I think IB employers value attention to detail... :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Think he means MEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial offers BEng/MEng in Computing and an MSc in Computing Science.

In engineering/IB the small details matter...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Duncan2012

Saw your edit... PRSOM :smile:
Reply 14

Oops... @Princepieman et al.
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/courses/ug/beng-meng-computing/meng-comp-ai/

(still not happy OP calls it an MSc though... :smile: )
Original post by jneill
Saw your edit... PRSOM :smile:

:smile:

I guess we just need to wait and see what the OP comes back with to see what they were thinking.
Original post by jneill

Although s/he may just mean the plain MEng Comp course, but s/he's refered to it as an MSc in two different threads now.

I think IB employers value attention to detail...

:wink:

Why do you assume that I've made a mistake? I was abundantly clear in my question. AI is the MSc at Imperial which is 4 years. I'm comparing a 3 year course in Economics with a Masters in AI Computer Science. IMO the course is only worth it for the Artificial Intelligence postgrad.
Reply 17
Why do you assume that I've made a mistake? I was abundantly clear in my question. AI is the MSc at Imperial which is 4 years. I'm comparing a 3 year course in Economics with a Masters in AI Computer Science. IMO the course is only worth it for the Artificial Intelligence postgrad.

Because you have. You mean the MEng, not MSc. An MSc is 1 year.

This is the course you want (MEng G700)
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/computing-department/computing-artificial-intelligence/
(edited 8 years ago)
You can't compare an undergraduate degree against a postgraduate degree.

Depending on the course content. I believe one can in this instance. AI is one of the most sought after fields in finance and general technology. The course is really worth it for the masters year with Artificial Intelligence. Economics postgraduate isn't really necessary in this case, whereas the AI year is. That's why I'm contemplating either the 4 years MSc (for the AI) or Economics BSc
(edited 8 years ago)
Depending on the course content, I believe one can in this instance. AI is one of the most sought after fields in finance and general technology. The course is really worth it for the masters year with Artificial Intelligence. Economics postgraduate isn't really necessary in this case, whereas the AI year is.

No, you cannot compare the two courses you mentioned in your OP. A BSc is very different from an MSc. And an MSc is different from an MEng or an MSci. Please Google what each of those are, then check the Imperial website again and consider revising your original question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending