The Student Room Group

*Trying* to get A*A*A*A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kawehi
Ermmm, well today I probably did 3? But before today, I really have done anything at all :lol:

I'd say that I want to average about 1 hour (preferably 1.5, but that's a bit optimistic knowing me) a day during the week, and maybe 3-5 a day on the weekend!

And Jake's channel is amazing! I've just binge watched a load of videos on 2x speed, will probably regret it when I run out :tongue:

😪

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kawehi
No problem, I'm here to help :tongue:

Unless that was something that your school allowed, I don't think that I'd do it! It's good to relax in the run-up to exams.. I know that if I was at home all day then I would just start stressing out about exams constantly! And often, it's a lot better to discuss questions and topics, rather than just memorising from a textbook. You'll get a better understanding faster if you debate the subject or practise with fellow students.. I'd say go in at least once a week if not more :smile:

Wow you're smart :redface:

How did you revise for Physics? :smile:!
Original post by kawehi
15-02 Morning
Ok, so my goals of the day are:

Complete all flashcards for F325 Chemistry

Go for a run :biggrin:

If any extra time, I'll make some flashcards for M2!

I'm also going to try and time the exact amount of time that I revise today, just to get a feel for what I'm doing! I have absolutely no idea atm :tongue:

What time did you wake up and start revision? :smile:
What was the Cambridge interview like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kawehi
No problem, I'm here to help :tongue:

Unless that was something that your school allowed, I don't think that I'd do it! It's good to relax in the run-up to exams.. I know that if I was at home all day then I would just start stressing out about exams constantly! And often, it's a lot better to discuss questions and topics, rather than just memorising from a textbook. You'll get a better understanding faster if you debate the subject or practise with fellow students.. I'd say go in at least once a week if not more :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by KINGYusuf
Wow you're smart :redface:

How did you revise for Physics? :smile:!

Haha thanks :tongue:

Physics was a total mess last year - it's really difficult for me! I found that memorising the units for every single definition REALLY helped, though. You can see how the equations work a lot easier, and it helps you to remember relationships between things :smile:

Otherwise, I just kind of had to rote learn the textbook :redface: Past papers and looking at the mark schemes was pretty useful!!
Reply 46
Original post by KINGYusuf
What time did you wake up and start revision? :smile:

I woke up at like 8 to do my paper round, and started revision at around 11!
Reply 47
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
What was the Cambridge interview like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was pretty crazy, not going to lie! I wasn't super nervous leading up to it, but the day of I was kind of freaking out :tongue: All of the questions they asked were relatively ok, but some of them were a bit confusing.. Also I found that they were usually going for really simple answers, rather than what I would think of as 'Cambridge interview' type answers! I mostly rambled on about stuff and said plenty of stupid things :biggrin:
Reply 48
16-02 Morning

I have to pack for a trip tomorrow (and the rest of the week haha) so I'm not planning on doing any revision until Sunday! Great start to a study blog, I know :tongue:

I might try to start some M2 stuff if I have time, however..
how do you study for maths ?
Original post by kawehi
It was pretty crazy, not going to lie! I wasn't super nervous leading up to it, but the day of I was kind of freaking out :tongue: All of the questions they asked were relatively ok, but some of them were a bit confusing.. Also I found that they were usually going for really simple answers, rather than what I would think of as 'Cambridge interview' type answers! I mostly rambled on about stuff and said plenty of stupid things :biggrin:

Haha well hey you got an offer from one of the worlds best uni and now you have to get those A Level grades which I believe can happen haha!
If someone had amazing GCSEs and AS grades so like 4As and 98%+ UMS, amazing personal statement but their interview was like a 4-6/10 and was applying for a subject like medicine or maths etc. Would the interview hinder their chances by a lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, so I got BBBA in AS, and I really want to get A or even A*. Is an A* even possible?!
Original post by kawehi
I woke up at like 8 to do my paper round, and started revision at around 11!

Aren't you at a college or sixth form?
Reply 53
Haha well hey you got an offer from one of the worlds best uni and now you have to get those A Level grades which I believe can happen haha!
If someone had amazing GCSEs and AS grades so like 4As and 98%+ UMS, amazing personal statement but their interview was like a 4-6/10 and was applying for a subject like medicine or maths etc. Would the interview hinder their chances by a lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, woooo :biggrin:

Well, I don't know tbh.. It depends on why the interview score was so low. If the person demonstrated obvious enthusiasm for the subject/course, but was clearly very nervous, then maybe! But if the person was a bit dull and dreary - perhaps just good at memorising stuff but not super interested, then I doubt that he/she would get an offer.

Really, I think that what matters most is that you can show that you LOVE the subject that you've applied for. If you really do, you'd benefit hugely from the course at Camb and they'd know it!
Reply 54
Original post by dpoojaraa
Aren't you at a college or sixth form?

Half term right now! :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by KyleBroflovski
Hey guys, so I got BBBA in AS, and I really want to get A or even A*. Is an A* even possible?!

Depends on your UMS!

For most A2s, to get an A* you need over 90% UMS in all of your A2 units, and 80% (and A) UMS average over AS and A2. So if you've got mid-Bs, and you get a high A-A* in your units this year, then you'd definitely be able to get A-A*s overall! :smile:

You can calculate the exact %s that you need from your AS UMS.
Reply 56
Original post by goodgirl05
how do you study for maths ?

Just by doing past papers, getting teachers to explain stuff, and making sure that I know how to do everything on the spec! I'm not very good at revising for maths haha :rolleyes:
Original post by kawehi
I know, woooo :biggrin:

Well, I don't know tbh.. It depends on why the interview score was so low. If the person demonstrated obvious enthusiasm for the subject/course, but was clearly very nervous, then maybe! But if the person was a bit dull and dreary - perhaps just good at memorising stuff but not super interested, then I doubt that he/she would get an offer.

Really, I think that what matters most is that you can show that you LOVE the subject that you've applied for. If you really do, you'd benefit hugely from the course at Camb and they'd know it!

Oh okk. So if they saw a person didn't have a great interview score but was really determined and was passionate about their subject then they have a 50% chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Oh okk. So if they saw a person didn't have a great interview score but was really determined and was passionate about their subject then they have a 50% chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that you'd ever be able to get a real probability for offer chances, but I'd say that if you could show that you were smart, motivated, curious and enthusiastic, then you have very good chances.
Original post by kawehi
I don't think that you'd ever be able to get a real probability for offer chances, but I'd say that if you could show that you were smart, motivated, curious and enthusiastic, then you have very good chances.

Oh ok lol. I keep underestimating how hard it is to get into Cambridge haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending