The Student Room Group

Drivers - Do you drive with a dashcam?

Poll

Do you drive with a dashcam?

Just wanted to gather opinions from younger drivers (majority demographic on TSR) regarding the use of dashcams as I'll be shortly writing a piece for TSR about why younger drivers should consider investing in a dashcam..... so I'll be keeping this thread as short as possible.

To anyone that doesn't know what a 'dashcam' is (short for dashboard camera), it's a small camera which you can attach to the front window of the car from the inside and therefore record the road ahead. I use this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built-In/dp/B00GRYT5QI and I've been impressed with the quality of the footage.

The rationale behind using one:
If you end up in a crash, you then have evidence of what happened ---> insurers can see that you were not at fault and therefore you keep your insurance costs (premiums) intact. It's a well known fact that younger drivers have really high insurance costs and therefore it's important to prevent those costs from rising even more after an accident!

Provided of course that you didn't cause the crash :ninja:, insurers widely accept dashcam footage as evidence for a claim---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32622126

[video="youtube;Uob0x5IMMr0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uob0x5IMMr0[/video]

Would you feel safer with a dashcam after watching this video?

Do you guys think it's worth the hassle of setting up the camera every time for the sake of saving your insurance incase you end up in a crash which wasn't your fault? :hmmm:

Post below and I will use some replies here to base my article around! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't use one, but only because I live in a rural area where crashes aren't very common so I feel safe enough without it. I am aware of the advantages though, so if I end up moving to an urban area with a car, then I'd definitely purchase myself one to keep myself in the clear :cute:
I dont have one, mainly because i just havent got round to it and im at university so only drive my car in the holidays.
My boyfriend has one though and he has caught some real bad driving on it, i can see how it would be useful in these situations if there had been an accident!
Think both drivers and cyclists should drive with cams so that accidents are better documented and unsafe drivers can be prosecuted :smile:
Yes. I don't trust other road users especially not in cities so I always switch it on even for short journeys. I'd thought about getting one for a while and then something happened that made my mind up - I was at the front of a filter lane turning right in a 4 lane road and as my filter light turned green the 'ahead' green light for the 3 lanes of traffic to my left turned green. I turned right into the new road and as I did a car came out of nowhere from my left - they'd turned right from the 'ahead' traffic and if I hadn't braked hard they would have gone into my left side. I still don't understand why they did it. Scared the life out of me.

I got the dash cam because I have a set amount of money that I've worked hard to save to pay for my insurance/mot/tax for 3 years during my degree (my car will get me to uni since I have to commute, plus to placements and between family because they don't all live in one place) and if my insurance goes up then I won't be able to afford to drive because I can't work while I'm at uni. So the dash cam is protecting me from the possibility of anyone lying about culpability of an accident and increasing my insurance costs which, as I say, would mean that I wouldn't be able to drive. I depend on my car because I live in a very rural area - so the dash cam is a must for me.
I don't drive so I don't think it would be very useful to mount in upon my head. But many people use dash cams on bikes- that is even more useful because of the increase of bike use and bike accidents.
I don't use one, but if I was driving a bit more I think I would. My dad had an accident 5 years ago which is still up in the air because the other party didn't accept blame.
Reply 7
I have one. I drive pretty much every day, and you never know what might happen!
Reply 8
UK is not exciting enough to make a viral video from a dashcam, unlike China and Russia
I've contemplated getting one. I think some insurance firms offer a discount if you have a dashcam.
I dont have one, but mainly because i mainly do short journeys (work is a 3 minute drive down the road etc etc), so it would be more hassle than it is worth setting one up every time. But im aware of the advantages though, and have considered getting one. I think i probably would if i did longer journeys though.
Original post by moonkatt
I've contemplated getting one. I think some insurance firms offer a discount if you have a dashcam.

Im getting insurance quotes at the moment (my insurance is due next month) and ive noticed a couple asking the question do you have one or not.
Original post by Emma:-)
I dont have one, but mainly because i mainly do short journeys (work is a 3 minute drive down the road etc etc), so it would be more hassle than it is worth setting one up every time. But im aware of the advantages though, and have considered getting one. I think i probably would if i did longer journeys though.

If it's installed properly then it comes on automatically when you start the engine - mine does! I did spend over an hour tapping it in to the correct power supply and running the cables up behind the trim to the top of the windscreen though.

Totally worth it. I'd not drive a personal vehicle without one now.
Just highlights the need to not drive right up everyone's arse like the majority of people do tbh. It's a habit of mine to leave plenty of space between myself and the car in front at all times to give myself plenty of time to brake if needed.
Reply 14
I don't dive
No, my driving is hideous. Do not want photographic evidence of this
Original post by James A
Just wanted to gather opinions from younger drivers (majority demographic on TSR) regarding the use of dashcams as I'll be shortly writing a piece for TSR about why younger drivers should consider investing in a dashcam..... so I'll be keeping this thread as short as possible.

To anyone that doesn't know what a 'dashcam' is (short for dashboard camera), it's a small camera which you can attach to the front window of the car from the inside and therefore record the road ahead. I use this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built-In/dp/B00GRYT5QI and I've been impressed with the quality of the footage.

The rationale behind using one:
If you end up in a crash, you then have evidence of what happened ---> insurers can see that you were not at fault and therefore you keep your insurance costs (premiums) intact. It's a well known fact that younger drivers have really high insurance costs and therefore it's important to prevent those costs from rising even more after an accident!

Provided of course that you didn't cause the crash :ninja:, insurers widely accept dashcam footage as evidence for a claim---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32622126

[video="youtube;Uob0x5IMMr0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uob0x5IMMr0[/video]

Would you feel safer with a dashcam after watching this video?

Do you guys think it's worth the hassle of setting up the camera every time for the sake of saving your insurance incase you end up in a crash which wasn't your fault? :hmmm:

Post below and I will use some replies here to base my article around! :biggrin:

I can't reply to your visitor message that I have only just seen Is it because you're a mod now? too good for me to reply to via your visitor wall thingy? :sly::grumble:
Reply 17
Original post by James A
x

you're a mod now :eek: !! omg! congrats :smile:

well when i get a car i am gonna get a dashcam bc if there are any accidents i wanna have dat evidence :smile:
Reply 18
I don't currently drive but as soon as I can I am buying one
I use one, it doesn't need setting up each time, I run a cable round the interior trim so it comes on when the engine is started. I remove it when in public car parks etc, it's just a clip like any sat nav.

Quick Reply

Latest