The Student Room Group

Best and worst thing about being at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Best- having a level of freedom and way of life that is so liberating from the structured routine of school. The 'social experiment' that is student halls, living with people who you normally wouldn't ever associate with. The delicate balancing act that is studying a subject you are passionate about whilst living like a night owl and still making time for parties.

Worst- once it's all over losing contact with most of my uni friends due to changing circumstances and distance. Also relying on a student loan and ratcheting up debt with uncertainty of what the future holds
Original post by chikane
There was a eat for less store that sold sandwiches and baguettes for a £1 as well as jacket potato. Went there a lot don't know what happened to it think it closed down?
If you get chips on its own it's £1.20.
That's why I bring my own food.

There's an eat 4 less in Newcastle and it is my favourite place ever.
Reply 42
Original post by callum_law
You're assuming (1) they'd be at uni every day and (2) every time they'd be at uni it'd require them to eat lunch there.

And what food could you buy for £20 which would last an entire month? Dairylea Lunchables?

Bread; tortilla wraps; crackers/rye bread; a variety of fillings and toppings (do I need to break those down?); crisps; yoghurt; fruit....

You could even buy them at £5 a week to preserve best before dates and utilise your freezer with some products.
Best - I live near my friends and my boyfriend and see them all the time. I've had a pretty fab uni experience.

Worst - I can't go home whenever I want and struggle with that some of the time. And there is an extreme amount of pressure because of how high the expectations are on my course.
You're assuming (1) they'd be at uni every day and (2) every time they'd be at uni it'd require them to eat lunch there.

And what food could you buy for £20 which would last an entire month? Dairylea Lunchables?

That implies 60p for lunch every day.
It's pushing it..
Original post by bumblebee342
Best - I live near my friends and my boyfriend and see them all the time. I've had a pretty fab uni experience.

Worst - I can't go home whenever I want and struggle with that some of the time. And there is an extreme amount of pressure because of how high the expectations are on my course.

What is it you study?
Original post by CCC75
£4 × 5 days (presuming said person rustles up something for themselves over the weekend) is a hefty spend out of a student income. If you bought a selection of packed lunch products from a mainstream supermarket (not even Aldi, Lidl or B&M stores) for £20 they would likely see you through the whole month.

I was usually in 4 days at uni but my friend would spend around £15-£18 a week on eating there which i was not going to do.

How cheap do you want your food? What do you normally buy, 2 quid Happy Meals?

I did say in my later post there was a eat4less store nearby that sold sandwiches, baguettes usually for a £1, depending on the filling it was sometimes £0.20 or £0.25 more including a jacket potato (can't remember how much) but it was a decent place.
I wasn't against paying £4 i did buy me and my friend a Nandos last week and had nothing against paying that as i work its just having a uni cafe increase their prices (when i was a student) which i was not happy about no way was i spending roughly £16 a week on eating out so i went elsewhere for lunch or just made a sandwich to bring in.

Original post by rayquaza17
There's an eat 4 less in Newcastle and it is my favourite place ever.

That's good its still around, there was 2 nearby i used to go to alot and loved it but it has been replaced by another food shop which is a shame.
Original post by Bath_Student
Best:

The sex.

Worst:

Bath has no flaws, surely you agree.

It's full of salty oxbridge rejects
whereas Cambridge is full of sex-starved virgins. I know which I'd prefer.

Cheers.

Lool your reply only confirms my point
Original post by Lawliettt
Lool your reply only confirms my point

Indeed, so. But do you really want to spend your best days of your life staring into drab and dingy textbooks in a 14th century cesspool, or would you prefer a modern, sex-fuelled university? Obviously, it is a matter of opinion, but there is no doubt in my mind that I prefer the latter!
Original post by SeanFM
If you had to choose an absolute best thing about being at uni and an absolute worst, what would they be? :holmes:

Just found this thread :ninja: Put it in the widget :woo:
Original post by Indeterminate
Best:

- The opportunity to study your subject of choice in great depth
- The knowledge that you're taking an important step towards fulfilling your career aspirations
- The opportunity to meet new people, some of whom will be friends for life

Worst:

Nothing :u:

Hahaha, really liked that answer! :biggrin:

I left Uni a few years back, so it gives me some perspective - I think the thing that really stands out now is the friend-making opportunities, it's lovely to have this network of people you knew and had loads of fun with at that time and still connect with. I enjoyed aspects of the learning and study process, but I don't miss the exams!
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Just found this thread :ninja: Put it in the widget :woo:

Puddles has loads of fun with his widget.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Puddles has loads of fun with his widget.

I'm a girl.... which kind of makes this sound worse :indiff:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'm a girl.... which kind of makes this sound worse :indiff:

Lol, sorry, I never realised! :smile: :hugs:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lol, sorry, I never realised! :smile: :hugs:

It's okay... happens all the time :lol:
Reply 56
Best:
I can say that I have been

Worst:
£9,000 a year :redface:
That implies 60p for lunch every day.
It's pushing it..

Waitrose of all places sells really nice frozen curries (Tikka Masala or Korma) for £1. Also have the free drink on the side and you spend £5 on pretty good lunches a week.
Then there's Aldi with Chicken Curry or Sweet and Sour Chicken with rice for 75p - £3.75 a week.
If not, use McDonald's/Burger King vouchers of various burgers and medium/large fries for £1.99 - £9.95 a week.
There are so many more that I can think of :smile:
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
Waitrose of all places sells really nice frozen curries (Tikka Masala or Korma) for £1. Also have the free drink on the side and you spend £5 on pretty good lunches a week.
Then there's Aldi with Chicken Curry or Sweet and Sour Chicken with rice for 75p - £3.75 a week.
If not, use McDonald's/Burger King vouchers of various burgers and medium/large fries for £1.99 - £9.95 a week.
There are so many more that I can think of :smile:

Damn, that'll do! :biggrin:
Damn, that'll do! :biggrin:

You know it, dawg!

:eating::youbetcha:

Quick Reply

Latest