The Student Room Group

shm too many variables

This is the question (11) and my workings. I seem to have too many unknowns and I can't see what the original spring had to do with anything - different spring, a different modulus and a different mass.

The Lambda/m = 200 seems to work out with the answers in the book. ( Lambda = 250g modulus = 50N) but can't get there from where I've got to.

Pointer please.
Original post by maggiehodgson
This is the question (11) and my workings. I seem to have too many unknowns and I can't see what the original spring had to do with anything - different spring, a different modulus and a different mass.

The Lambda/m = 200 seems to work out with the answers in the book. ( Lambda = 250g modulus = 50N) but can't get there from where I've got to.

Pointer please.

Haven't done the question, but I guess that they want you to find the particle mass mm from the first spring scenario.
Original post by atsruser
Haven't done the question, but I guess that they want you to find the particle mass mm from the first spring scenario.

Thanks. I've re-read the question and you are quite right - the mass is the same. Up until now I thought the mass had been changed too. All is explained, I hope.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest