The Student Room Group

Which University is best for me?

So I'm torn between studying Art at University of Reading and University of Worcester.

I like Reading because its a bigger Uni and has a great academic standard, plus the campus is beautiful.. But the town doesn't have a great reputation and apparently isn't the nicest place to live once you're in your second and third years.
I like Worcester because both the Uni and town felt so warm and friendly with culture and a lot more independent shops and restaurants; more character I suppose. But the standard there isn't as high and I'm afraid I won't be pushing myself as much if I were to go there..

Any suggestions as to how I should make my decision??
Original post by rdog39
So I'm torn between studying Art at University of Reading and University of Worcester.

I like Reading because its a bigger Uni and has a great academic standard, plus the campus is beautiful.. But the town doesn't have a great reputation and apparently isn't the nicest place to live once you're in your second and third years.
I like Worcester because both the Uni and town felt so warm and friendly with culture and a lot more independent shops and restaurants; more character I suppose. But the standard there isn't as high and I'm afraid I won't be pushing myself as much if I were to go there..

Any suggestions as to how I should make my decision??

I shall invite two members of the Support Team to fight this out for you while I watch:
@Roving Fish @James A
I would think about it like this--

What university do you feel more comfortable in?

But your degree won't show how comfortable you are, but how much you have pushed yourself. But is it too laid back?

But are you in a situation where you are so uncomfortable not living there that you can't work and complete your degree?
@rdog39 - Are you looking at Art & Design or are you a *gulp* Fine Artist?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I shall invite two members of the Support Team to fight this out for you while I watch:
@Roving Fish @James A

loool

I'm not exactly sure about the Art department as I study Pharmacy but as a whole, as you said, the Reading campus is really nice. If you want a campus uni, then we beat Worcester hands down, no if no buts. We have a top 10 UK ranked students union and the accommodation range is diverse so you will always find a halls of residence that is suitable for you. We're also ranked in the top 1% of unis in the world and are a top 30 UK university, but that probably is irelevant for your course?

As for the town, we have the lovely Oracle shopping centre which is situated by the riverside and has loads of nice shops. Worcester is better in terms of how nice the town is, but then again as a student you really are asking for a good shopping centre. If you want to go for attractions and to visit museums, then you are 25 minutes away from London by train. Therefore we have the better transport links.

2nd and 3rd years have a good range of halls to choose from, unlike many other unis where you are restricted to moving back into halls for your 2nd and 3rd years. There are loads of student houses near campus too.

I'm on my phone so I cant type as much as I would like to but ask me more questions about reading if you wish.
Original post by Roving Fish
*gulp*

Original post by James A
loool

I feel like the Wicked Witch of the West summoning the flying monkeys....:colone:
@James A

You've never been to Worcester!! :eyeball:

You're right with the former, but I have to disagree with the latter. University is what you make of it, so the only time you'd not be pushing yourself would be a personal thing, opposed to the institution.

With art, you need space to experiment and I hear from my colleagues that Worcester allows you to do this. I spent some time with a fine art student and she loves it at Worcester.

We've got Bristol an hour away, Birmingham 40 mins by train, Cheltenham down the road and London 2 hours away (it costs under a tenner to get there and back if you book in advance).

I like Worcester as a uni town and I think that you'd have a good time here. :smile:
@James A

You've never been to Worcester!! :eyeball:

how do you know that? :wink:

My points still stand :yes:
Reply 9
@rdog39 - Are you looking at Art & Design or are you a *gulp* Fine Artist?

hahaha Art and Design
Reply 10
Original post by James A
We're also ranked in the top 1% of unis in the world and are a top 30 UK university, but that probably is irelevant for your course? @James A

Reading was number 6 and is now number 10 in the UK for Art and Design so.. slightly relevant :wink:

I am only concerned because I do not live in England at the moment so its not as though I can go for a quick visit to really get a proper feel for the place unfortunately. Everyone I've asked seems to have given me the same response: that the town is slightly rough and generally not a great place to live.
Do you see what they mean? Would you say the town is slightly rough or dangerous? Or by being part of the University are you separate and distanced from anything like that?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest