The Student Room Group

Surgery that could allow trans women to have children of their own...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
I didn't choose to be female, I didn't choose to have a period. I'm one for doing whatever makes you happy, but a lot of the things that make us happy come with sacrifices and pain.
Transwomen chose to make the transition, their 'pain' is voluntary.

Their mental and emotional pain certainly isn't voluntary or a choice

Why is it suddently a competition as to who has it worse? That seems like such a petty way to look at it.
edit - I just read page 4 this has been bought up already but I couldn't be bothered reading past the pages of trans / religious debate.

Why is everybody so obsessed with trans women in this the article says...

The transplant could be conducted on a woman born without a uterus, or who had it removed or have uterine damage this would make trans women eligible for the procedure.

It's fantastic that people who say have had ovarian cancer or other medical issues could conceive and carry to term. Why does this have to be an anti trans debate when that isn't even the main point of the procedure? Metro just slings the sentence in for good measure.

Also you have to find someone to donate you their womb! It's bad enough finding a kidney and most people have 2 of those.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kay_Winters
Transwomen may not have periods and cramps and so on, but they go through a hell of a lot of pain ciswomen don't go through, and never will go through, so why don't we stop trying to compare who has it worse and simply respect and help each other as much as possible, surely that is the best way to go about creating a better, more equal and fair society?

Fixed that for you

Why convince yourself that they are women? They aren't they are males who have had a bit of skin pulled and a few cuts to put their messed up minds on display. Simple as that. Women are female, they aren't what part are you getting mixed up on?
Original post by Ascend
I do not see why you should be given the right to vaccinations and antibiotics or just about any medical treatment, as it goes against nature.

Ily for this. That was so graceful.
Original post by ♡ ♡
Why convince yourself that they are women? They aren't they are males who have had a bit of skin pulled and a few cuts to put their messed up minds on display. Simple as that. Women are female, they aren't what part are you getting mixed up on?

Transgender women are female, just as cisgender women are female, or how cisgender men are male and how transgender men are male. I don't understand how this is hard to understand, or respect.
I don't quite see the point of it
Uterus transplants have been performed in other countries before - this is simply the first time it will be performed in the US.

Also, something the Metro article didn't explain is that it isn't exactly intended for trans-women. There are too many physiological complications involved there (hip shape, hormones, etc.). There's also the clear genetic impossibility of a male concieving (which some people here are forgetting). Only the uterus is transferred in the surgery - not ovaries. A man cannot produce eggs, and the surgery only enables in vitro fertilization from sperm and egg doners, anyway. The uterus is then removed after the birth, as it can't naturally be sustained in the body. It's not a permanent transplant.
Original post by Dandaman1
Uterus transplants have been performed in other countries before - this is simply the first time it will be performed in the US.

Also, something the Metro article didn't explain is that it isn't exactly intended for trans-women. There are too many physiological complications involved there (hip shape, hormones, etc.). There's also the clear genetic impossibility of a male concieving (which some people here are forgetting). Only the uterus is transferred in the surgery - not ovaries. A man cannot produce eggs, and the surgery only enables in vitro fertilization from sperm and egg doners, anyway. The uterus is then removed after the birth, as it can't naturally be sustained in the body. It's not a permanent transplant.

Most people were probably imagining the in vitro scenario. If not, well . . .
Transgender women are female, just as cisgender women are female, or how cisgender men are male and how transgender men are male. I don't understand how this is hard to understand, or respect.

Yet they aren't. Male and female are biological terms. Transformative surgery and social attitude can't actually change that.

image.jpeg
There you go buddy 😎😁
Original post by Dandaman1
Yet they aren't. Male and female are biological terms. Transformative surgery and social attitude can't actually change that.

Original post by ♡ ♡
image.jpeg
There you go buddy 😎😁

Male/female and man/women are terms interchangeably used in modern society, to suggest otherwise is simply an attempt to make a point where there isn't one, much like trying to say gay is a term for happy, it technically is, but it is not used as one anymore
Original post by Trapz99
This is actually horrendous. Only real women (women who were born with female reproductive organs) should be able to have children. That is what God intended
. If you disagree with that then you are deluded imo

Dat irony :rofl:

Moreover, assuming God's existence, you cannot possibly imagine and state God's intentions. How arrogant and hypocritical. You can say 'this is what I believe God's intentions are' but to actually believe you know God goes against the religion you attempt to perpetuate :rolleyes:
Original post by ellie0497
I don't quite see the point of it

You don't see the point of people having children? Wot?
Male/female and man/women are terms interchangeably used in modern society, to suggest otherwise is simply an attempt to make a point where there isn't one, much like trying to say gay is a term for happy, it technically is, but it is not used as one anymore

No they aren't at all, people who refer to them as female are using the term purposefully and are wrong they aren't female at all, they just are male people trying to have female features. That's it they'll never be females they'll always be male and they also always be men never women. Just because they want to be women and modify themselves doesn't mean they now become women.
Following your logic: the guy who modified himself to look like a cat is a cat. No! They're just weird.
Original post by Ascend
I do not see why you should be given the right to vaccinations and antibiotics or just about any medical treatment, as it goes against nature.

oooo kill em
Reply 95
Leaving my ethical and moral considerations to one side for now I have to think that these operations though technically possible would be unimaginably expensive and a definite non-priority given the creaking nature of publicly funded health services in the UK and elsewhere.
Are they gonna be District 9 looking things?
Reply 97
Population Growth
Original post by ♡ ♡
No they aren't at all, people who refer to them as female are using the term purposefully and are wrong they aren't female at all, they just are male people trying to have female features. That's it they'll never be females they'll always be male and they also always be men never women. Just because they want to be women and modify themselves doesn't mean they now become women.
Following your logic: the guy who modified himself to look like a cat is a cat. No! They're just weird.

I'm sure the fact people are using the term female purposefully for it's correlation with having a vagina and female sex organs will come as new information to plenty of transwomen, men and ciswomen. In any case it seems I can't at all convince you to give up the deep burning hatred you express your your fellow persons and I simply hope you one day will respect those who are transgender, what they go through and what they live with.

To call a transgender man a male is still an inaccuracy. It's an informal misuse of formal terminology. Most educated people use the terms male and female properly, otherwise it causes unecessary confusion.

Biological sex is not something that can be changed through colloquialisms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending