The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

NEW- Ask a current University of Southampton Student!

Hi everyone!

With everyone now getting replies and firming/ insuring their university choices, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread like this to answer any questions you may have about Southampton Uni! You can ask any question, from campus, halls, to nightlife!

See you freshers in September!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Received an offer from Southampton yesterday! I'd never really considered it to be one of my firm or insurance choices, but after researching more it actually looks like a great, fun uni! What halls do you recommend, there seem to be quite a few on the website! Would you say nightlife is also good? Another top choice of mine is Royal Holloway which has a great campus but seems to lack in student nightlife so thought i'd find out more about Southampton! Thanks : )
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by alex_1998
Hi! Received an offer from Southampton yesterday! I'd never really considered it to be one of my firm or insurance choices, but after researching more it actually looks like a great, fun uni! What halls do you recommend, there seem to be quite a few on the website! Would you say nightlife is also good? Another top choice of mine is Royal Holloway which has a great campus but seems to lack in student nightlife so thought i'd find out more about Southampton! Thanks : )

Hi!
Congrats on getting an offer from Southampton! It's such a good uni.

Halls- I'm biased, but Wessex Lane are such great halls for first years. We're all so social and you get to know loads of people in your block! We also have a common room in Connaught, the halls behind us, where we can sometimes chill and sit around. Also Wessex is good for busses as well, they come every 8-10 minutes during the day which is great!! And with your free bus card in 1st year it's such a good thing to have.

Nightlife: Awesome. There's so much to choose from. You can go to uni and have a drink in Stags, the union bar, or venture further into Portswood (the nearest town) and go to Jesters (look it up) or Sobar, two student nightlife hotspots. As well as those two there are loads more clubs in a little square called Bedford Place in town, about a 20 minute bus ride from Wessex. Tons of clubs in Bedford place (which do free entry on student nights) and loads more further in the city centre like Oceana and Cafe Parfait, Junk, Switch etc. All really good nights out.

Hope I've given you a little bit more insight into Southampton uni! :biggrin:
Original post by jordan_s
Hi!
Congrats on getting an offer from Southampton! It's such a good uni.

Halls- I'm biased, but Wessex Lane are such great halls for first years. We're all so social and you get to know loads of people in your block! We also have a common room in Connaught, the halls behind us, where we can sometimes chill and sit around. Also Wessex is good for busses as well, they come every 8-10 minutes during the day which is great!! And with your free bus card in 1st year it's such a good thing to have.

Nightlife: Awesome. There's so much to choose from. You can go to uni and have a drink in Stags, the union bar, or venture further into Portswood (the nearest town) and go to Jesters (look it up) or Sobar, two student nightlife hotspots. As well as those two there are loads more clubs in a little square called Bedford Place in town, about a 20 minute bus ride from Wessex. Tons of clubs in Bedford place (which do free entry on student nights) and loads more further in the city centre like Oceana and Cafe Parfait, Junk, Switch etc. All really good nights out.

Hope I've given you a little bit more insight into Southampton uni! :biggrin:

Ah great!! Thanks for the info- definitely sounds like a uni with a great student life :smile: In general would you say settling into halls was easy? I find it extremely nerve-wracking at the the thought of sharing a flat with people I've never met haha! I'd say I would probably prefer sharing with more than less people, i've seen halls in some uni's with only 4 people per flat which I don't think would be my top option!!
Reply 4
What're you studying? :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion
What're you studying? :h:

I study modern languages- French, Spanish and Russian.
Reply 6
I study modern languages- French, Spanish and Russian.

My worst nightmare :lol:

I'll be going into the ECS department myself (Electronic Engineering)... whereabouts are you on campus? I can remember it pretty well since I visited three times
Reply 7
Yeah he's a professor here I think! And perhaps, I'm not sure. He's the chair of the computer science department here @ uni, but on his teaching page there are no modules listed so I'd imagine not... sorry!
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion
My worst nightmare :lol:

I'll be going into the ECS department myself (Electronic Engineering)... whereabouts are you on campus? I can remember it pretty well since I visited three times

Oh that's cool! I was mainly based at Avenue campus last semester (the one down the road from Highfield), but this semester I'm 90% at Highfield in various buildings!! Highfield campus boasts a lot more than Avenue does anyway so you're good!
Reply 9
I remember them saying that he does do occasional lectures, think they're more for the elec students though
Reply 10
Original post by alex_1998
Ah great!! Thanks for the info- definitely sounds like a uni with a great student life :smile: In general would you say settling into halls was easy? I find it extremely nerve-wracking at the the thought of sharing a flat with people I've never met haha! I'd say I would probably prefer sharing with more than less people, i've seen halls in some uni's with only 4 people per flat which I don't think would be my top option!!

Hey! Sorry for the late reply!
Settling into halls was super easy, and moving in was a breeze. I'm good mates with all the people in my flat, so all is good. Sharing with people you've never met is fine really, since you're living together you'll get to know eachother really quickly and become good friends!

And in terms of the amount of people per flat- here are some rough guidlines:

Wessex Lane- 7-21 people flats
Glen Eyre- 6-7 people
City Gateway- 4-6
Liberty Point- 4-6
Mayflower- 11
Highfield- 4
Archers Road- 6-8

Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Hi everyone!

With everyone now getting replies and firming/ insuring their university choices, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread like this to answer any questions you may have about Southampton Uni! You can ask any question, from campus, halls, to nightlife!

I've firmed Southampton for BA English but when it comes to choosing halls I can't decide if I'd prefer to be located at Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane, I only viewed Glen Eyre on the open day so I have no idea what Wessex Lane is like but would you say that one has a better atmosphere/social scene than the other? Which one is closer to campus? Since you said you're at Wessex Lane what is the area like?

(Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I'm just really indecisive lol)
Reply 12
Original post by grace2698
I've firmed Southampton for BA English but when it comes to choosing halls I can't decide if I'd prefer to be located at Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane, I only viewed Glen Eyre on the open day so I have no idea what Wessex Lane is like but would you say that one has a better atmosphere/social scene than the other? Which one is closer to campus? Since you said you're at Wessex Lane what is the area like?

(Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I'm just really indecisive lol)

Hey! Congrats on firming Southampton! I'm sure you'll have a great time here. :smile:
I'll give you the pros and cons of each hall:

Glen Eyre pros:
- walkable distance to uni (about 10 minutes)
- greener areas and feel, more trees and green spaces to chill in the summer
- nice JCR common room in Chamberlain (or so I've heard...)
Glen Eyre cons:
- busses are dreadful, only served by the U2 every half hour or so (and when you wanna get home on a night out- they stop around half 7/8 so you're out of luck!!)
- much more expensive than other halls when in reality it doesn't offer that much more
- further away from Portswood than Wessex Lane
- really competitive applications for accommodation due to its popularity (so if you put it as your first you may not get it)
- not as social or vibrant as wessex lane

Wessex Lane pros:
- still a walkable distance to uni (about 15 minutes)
- not as green as Glen, but still has a nice community feel to it, and you get to know everybody in the flats around you during freshers (everyone leaves their flat door open so you can go in at any time and introduce yourself!!)
- regular JCR events such as film nights, and also many events catering for international students because there are quite a few dotted around :smile:
- served by the U1C in the mornings which really isn't that jam packed, when people have 9ams they send 2 buses to deal with everyone! And to get home you can get the U1A, U1W or U1E, they all go past Monte.
- Cheaper than Glen!!
- Also really close to Wide Lane sports centre if you're into sports, and a 5 minute walk away from City Gateway, where there is a McDonalds, subway, and Morrissons!

Cons of Wessex Lane:
- not as green as Glen eyre
- Some of our facilities are shared with Connaught (but then again it's the same for Glen Eyre with Chamberlain!)
- perhaps some of the accommodation here can be described as dated, seeing as some of the halls were built before the 90's. Ensuite rooms are much newer, being built in 1997.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Feel free to quote this post or drop me a message if you have any more questions!
Hey! Congrats on firming Southampton! I'm sure you'll have a great time here. :smile:
I'll give you the pros and cons of each hall:

Glen Eyre pros:
- walkable distance to uni (about 10 minutes)
- greener areas and feel, more trees and green spaces to chill in the summer
- nice JCR common room in Chamberlain (or so I've heard...)
Glen Eyre cons:
- busses are dreadful, only served by the U2 every half hour or so (and when you wanna get home on a night out- they stop around half 7/8 so you're out of luck!!)
- much more expensive than other halls when in reality it doesn't offer that much more
- further away from Portswood than Wessex Lane
- really competitive applications for accommodation due to its popularity (so if you put it as your first you may not get it)
- not as social or vibrant as wessex lane

Wessex Lane pros:
- still a walkable distance to uni (about 15 minutes)
- not as green as Glen, but still has a nice community feel to it, and you get to know everybody in the flats around you during freshers (everyone leaves their flat door open so you can go in at any time and introduce yourself!!)
- regular JCR events such as film nights, and also many events catering for international students because there are quite a few dotted around :smile:
- served by the U1C in the mornings which really isn't that jam packed, when people have 9ams they send 2 buses to deal with everyone! And to get home you can get the U1A, U1W or U1E, they all go past Monte.
- Cheaper than Glen!!
- Also really close to Wide Lane sports centre if you're into sports, and a 5 minute walk away from City Gateway, where there is a McDonalds, subway, and Morrissons!

Cons of Wessex Lane:
- not as green as Glen eyre
- Some of our facilities are shared with Connaught (but then again it's the same for Glen Eyre with Chamberlain!)
- perhaps some of the accommodation here can be described as dated, seeing as some of the halls were built before the 90's. Ensuite rooms are much newer, being built in 1997.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Feel free to quote this post or drop me a message if you have any more questions!

Thank you! I think Wessex Lane would be more suited to me by the sounds of it, the pros and cons really helped so thanks again for taking the time to think of them :biggrin:
Hi everyone!

how helpful are the staff/lecturers for your course? in terms of like if you dont understand and would like some clarity? how would go about this?
what are your lectures like? do you also have smaller classes (less people)?
how are you enjoying your course? uni life?
sorry for the bombardment of questions
Reply 15
Original post by chickenfoot
how helpful are the staff/lecturers for your course? in terms of like if you dont understand and would like some clarity? how would go about this?
what are your lectures like? do you also have smaller classes (less people)?
how are you enjoying your course? uni life?
sorry for the bombardment of questions

Hi!
My lecturers/ tutors are super helpful, you just send them an e-mail asking to meet up and they'll go through any work/ feedback you're not sure about with you. Studying languages, you usually ask them for quite a lot of grammar explanations, and they're really helpful in that sense.
My lecturers are all lovely! I find it a bit weird to call them 'lecturers' though because I'm mostly in seminars haha. But all in all they're a lovely, enthusiastic and passionate bunch who have really inspired me to work hard.
And in terms of enjoying my course, I love it! Uni life is great, bit quiet at the moment because people are stuck in the awkward limbo between exams and getting results, so people are a bit stressed out. But in terms of going out/ nightlife etc, it's really good in Southampton- there's so much to do, you'll never get bored haha :smile:

Any other questions please don't be afraid to ask!
Hi everyone!

Hi,
I'm going to be doing a postgrad course in September and not sure if I'll live in halls or rent privately. Main issue for me is the cost because already got huge debt from the professional course I do this year!!
Which areas do people tend to look to rent privately in? Is there anywhere that is really close that you wouldn't need to bus it across? And are the areas directly around the uni expensive or not massively expensive compared to the rest of the city?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions I just have no idea where to even start looking for somewhere! Thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by scarlett20
Hi,
I'm going to be doing a postgrad course in September and not sure if I'll live in halls or rent privately. Main issue for me is the cost because already got huge debt from the professional course I do this year!!
Which areas do people tend to look to rent privately in? Is there anywhere that is really close that you wouldn't need to bus it across? And are the areas directly around the uni expensive or not massively expensive compared to the rest of the city?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions I just have no idea where to even start looking for somewhere! Thanks :smile:

I would say if you're a postgrad, the only halls you're gonna find which don't need a bus to get to campus are Highfield halls, Glen, or Archers Road! But most postgrads (if they do stay in halls) can stay in Highfield, literally on Avenue campus and 5 minute walk to Highfield campus! I'd avoid Glen because it's a very very popular choice for 1st years, so it's usually quite loud. But Archers do actually have a specific hall for postgrads called "St Margarets" (I think), and it's about a 10 minute walk from avenue campus and 15 minutes to Highfield.

If you want to go private rented, there is plenty of housing in Southampton. You can always look in popular student areas of Highfield like Blenheim Gardens, Sirdar Road, mayfield Road, etc etc. There is lots of affordable housing there starting from (the lowest rent I've ever come across is £62 pppw)!! I'd say Highfield area is the cheapest in terms of rent- Highfield<Portswood<City centre.

Hope this helps!! :smile:
I got an offer for Hartley Grove. Didn't realise it was so expensive. 145 a week. Didn't know what I was getting myself into.
Anyway, my question is how common is it to have second or third years in halls and if they get put together in flats.

And also, from your experience, do international students get put into the same flats?
Hi everyone!

With everyo'ne now getting replies and firming/ insuring their university choices, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread like this to answer any questions you may have about Southampton Uni! You can ask any question, from campus, halls, to nightlife!

Hi ,
Any current aeonautical students here to ask some questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending