The Student Room Group

Look awful in pictures but fine in the mirror?!?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mango peeler

Guess I'm ugly then...
Original post by arfah
Wait so what's a truer reflection of what you look like?

That's what I want to know as well :frown:
Original post by Anonymous

look within your heart.
you will find the answer there.
:console:
Original post by mkap
i know how you feel. its not the fact that pictures are mirrored compared to real life even when i flip it i dont look the same. im not photogenic at all and rarely take a good photo of myself. it makes me self conscious tbh :frown:

That's the same with me :frown:. People look so good in selfies and I look like ****
Reply 24
That's the same with me :frown:. People look so good in selfies and I look like ****

we share our pain :o:o
Reply 25
Okay. I looked it up and it says a selfie is more accurate in the way the world sees you. Mirrors lie to you apparently. :s
Lighting, lens quality, how well your features translate to 2D image and a plethora of other things affect how good you look on camera. Your mirror image is the same thing everyone else is seeing, only backwards.
Guess I'm ugly then...

According to Ruby from the Cosby's lol it's just a meme, you will live.
Original post by arfah
Okay. I looked it up and it says a selfie is more accurate in the way the world sees you. Mirrors lie to you apparently. :s

...where did you...look? ...
Looks like he's swimming towards you on the floor :rofl:

Swiggity Swooty would be the perfect caption
Original post by arfah

Well ****..
Original post by WoodyMKC
Lighting, lens quality, how well your features translate to 2D image and a plethora of other things affect how good you look on camera. Your mirror image is the same thing everyone else is seeing, only backwards.

you so right

look OP:

https://www.quora.com/Are-mirrors-accurate-in-reflecting-how-youre-really-supposed-to-appear-How-do-I-know-what-I-really-look-like-if-mirrors-make-me-appear-either-too-wide-or-too-thin-how-can-I-find-an-accurate-reflection-of-myself

read the main comment there
Original post by Student403
Looks like he's swimming towards you on the floor :rofl:

Swiggity Swooty would be the perfect caption

you did it. you made my day.
I feel awful about my face when I see it in pictures. The mirror is okay, as long as I don't get too close/the light isn't too harsh. Pictures are evil.
I'm the same I photograph horribly, I only have a few picture where I feel I actually look like me. And despite not being remotely fat my face always photographs quite round and flat in pictures as if I have no cheek bones it's so weird. I don't even let people take pictures of me any more because I'm sick of them tagging me on facebook and then feeling bad about myself when I look like an ugly mess.
Original post by mscaffrey
I feel awful about my face when I see it in pictures. The mirror is okay, as long as I don't get too close/the light isn't too harsh. Pictures are evil.

it's just lighting! some people don't need specific perfect lighting and angles, others do. there's a scientific reason but it mostly is about being photogenic, or not. in simple terms it would translate to "ugly," but of course there is no official gavel on what is ugly or nah.

you might just need a better camera lol. what kind of thread trying to make people pay attention to small stuff like this? :colonhash:
Pictures just make my face look chubby
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm the same I photograph horribly, I only have a few picture where I feel I actually look like me. And despite not being remotely fat my face always photographs quite round and flat in pictures as if I have no cheek bones it's so weird. I don't even let people take pictures of me any more because I'm sick of them tagging me on facebook and then feeling bad about myself when I look like an ugly mess.

I don't think you look ugly at all! :puppyeyes:
Original post by arfah

Well I'm ****ed :/
Original post by lustawny
I don't think you look ugly at all! :puppyeyes:

You haven't seen most pictures of me. In some pictures I look outright fat and like I my cheekbones are non existent. I don't photograph well from the front at all, somewhat better half profile shots but still not great most look awful. I also look awful if I smile in photos because they're never genuine and you can just tell I have no idea what I'm doing.

Quick Reply

Latest