The Student Room Group

Do you think 40 mpg is decent fiigure for a modern car ?

I have a 2006 mk2 focus 1.8 TDCI

I need to get maf wiring loom fixed, and check a few other things over which should hopefully improve the mpg for my car.

mpg figures for my car

urban - 39.2
extra urban - 64.2
combined - 52.1

Noticed a lot lately, I only seem to be getting 38- 40 mpg though most of it is urban I also do a few short motorway trips, and yet It seems to be achieiving the urban only figures or slightly less even if I drive some combined trips. I'd say I'm often getting 38.2 mpg lately but call it 40 mpg.

When I get MAF sorted it will improve a lot I hope.

Anyway my question is, is 40 mpg with the majority of it urban driving, is it around average, good or bad /

thanks
That doesn't sound too bad to me in all honestly. Even the newest BMW's are looking at around 60mpg on the motorway so I don't think you're doing badly. Sorting out your MAF will definitely help though - go get it done!
Well, its good I suppose. I had a renault clio 1.4 16v diesel 02 plate...easily getting 55mpg!
Or a citroen c3 diesel 53 plate, 55 mpg, cheap insurance and only £20 a year tax:smile: Some older cars are just as good as newer cars
Reply 3
Original post by KeyboardNinja
That doesn't sound too bad to me in all honestly. Even the newest BMW's are looking at around 60mpg on the motorway so I don't think you're doing badly. Sorting out your MAF will definitely help though - go get it done!

thank you.

I am expecting to get my parcel next week which is the wires from a donor carl then I will go get an auto electrician to d othe job.

thanks
Original post by I love life

We know, mate. You make a new thread about it almost daily :rofl:
Reply 5
Original post by WoodyMKC
We know, mate. You make a new thread about it almost daily :rofl:

you might know but not everybody does
Reply 6
you might know but not everybody does

you tell him !!
keep up the good work !

I need to get maf wiring loom fixed, and check a few other things over which should hopefully improve the mpg for my car.

mpg figures for my car

urban - 39.2
extra urban - 64.2
combined - 52.1

Noticed a lot lately, I only seem to be getting 38- 40 mpg though most of it is urban I also do a few short motorway trips, and yet It seems to be achieiving the urban only figures or slightly less even if I drive some combined trips. I'd say I'm often getting 38.2 mpg lately but call it 40 mpg.

Anyway my question is, is 40 mpg with the majority of it urban driving, is it around average, good or bad /

thanks

I'd kill for 40 mpg! I get about 25 :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Burridge
I'd kill for 40 mpg! I get about 25 :frown:

what car do you drive and I bet it is a petrol ??

My previous petrol car was a w reg astra and only getting around 25- 30 mpg so I am hoping to see 50 mpg on my current car ,especially after a few issues are sorted with it such as MAF wiring loom repaired as it's damaged atm and that will not be helping it's economy until it is fixed.
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
you tell him !!
keep up the good work !

thanks

1 + rep for you, a green one
what car do you drive and I bet it is a petrol ??

My previous petrol car was a w reg astra and only getting around 25- 30 mpg so I am hoping to see 50 mpg on my current car ,especially after a few issues are sorted with it such as MAF wiring loom repaired as it's damaged atm and that will not be helping it's economy until it is fixed.

A 2.0 litre Turbo Charged petrol engine ... I only have my right foot to blame for the poor MPG figures to be honest! :colondollar:

mpg figures for my car

urban - 39.2
extra urban - 64.2
combined - 52.1

thanks

I get that from my petrol 3 series that's a poor mpg from a diesel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
My BMW gets 50-60mpg 11 plate. But ive also heard getting engine remapped can also help the car be more economical?
Original post by Foys88
My BMW gets 50-60mpg 11 plate. But ive also heard getting engine remapped can also help the car be more economical?

I dunno I just brought mine petrol is the way to go for me as I don't do long journeys anymore so the diesel filter will clog if I got one.

The diesel 3 series figures are amazing though

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks

1 + rep for you, a green one

Your sarcasm detector is broken, lad :tongue:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Your sarcasm detector is broken, lad :tongue:

eh ?
Reply 16
All depends on size of engine and weight of car but if u have a 2ltr engine injection 40 mpg is considered good. I have a 20i vtec honda accord auto 20 yrs old 100'000 miles and I roughly get around 30 mpg
Original post by Craig75
All depends on size of engine and weight of car but if u have a 2ltr engine injection 40 mpg is considered good. I have a 20i vtec honda accord auto 20 yrs old 100'000 miles and I roughly get around 30 mpg

That's lovely, but the OP was 2 years ago, as well as banned.

Latest

Trending

Trending