The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Did you have to take an English language proficiency test? I apparently have to pay ~$50 just to send them! :angry:

I didn't have to because I'm a US citizen - but I've heard the TOEFL is like $300 or something stupid so I sympathize :frown:

Original post by Zacken
I'm not actually sure, I quit before they started giving us university talks and all. I think Australia, France, UK unis are very common ones for mine. But even though it's a private school, the kids don't end up at the greatest unis, tbh.

Same with mine - private but we only send 0-2 to Oxbridge every year, much less (0.5 maybe) to elite US universities.

Generally mediocre UK unis are where the majority end up. Quite a shame given the exorbitant fees
Original post by Student403

Same with mine - private but we only send 0-2 to Oxbridge every year, much less (0.5 maybe) to elite US universities.

Generally mediocre UK unis are where the majority end up. Quite a shame given the exorbitant fees

Yep, pretty much the same. Although I think we've only ever had one person get a Cambridge interview before and he got rejected post-interview. I'd have been the first but I quit. :rofl:

Yeah, pretty much the same! I wonder what Australian fees are like.
Original post by Zacken
Yep, pretty much the same. Although I think we've only ever had one person get a Cambridge interview before and he got rejected post-interview. I'd have been the first but I quit. :rofl:

Ahh so carrying the school!

Aussie admissions is great apparently - Just send in the grades (an A* and the rest As should get you in to UMelbourne, one of the best in Aus)
Reply 223
I didn't have to because I'm a US citizen - but I've heard the TOEFL is like $300 or something stupid so I sympathize :frown:

Ah, you guys are lucky. I'm required to take English tests until and unless I finish a degree in a 1st world English speaking nation. The worst part is that your results become redundant after every two years so you have to retake them.

I don't think we've had an Oxbridge applicant let alone an offer-holder in the last 5 years... Two guys ended up in Cornell and UPenn in the last two years, though. One of my friends got an 80% scholarship to Vanderbilt and I'm really happy for him :biggrin: He's the only other person doing A-level Further Maths in my class. Another friend recently got 100% to some LA school, can't remember the name.

Original post by Zacken

It doesn't count though, you got your offer after you left the school so they technically didn't play a part :tongue: You're doing extremely well for yourself given what level your peers are at. Oh I've been meaning to ask - is this brother you spoke of before also a genius mathmo like you? :biggrin:

Australian schools are ok. All you need is an average set of grades, say BBC+ and you're in like 403 said. They have some decent engineering schools, but the best places for mathematics at undergraduate level are all in the UK or the big name US schools. I haven't seen any other country put such great emphasis on maths like they do in the UK.
Ah, you guys are lucky. I'm required to take English tests until and unless I finish a degree in a 1st world English speaking nation. The worst part is that your results become redundant after every two years so you have to retake them.

I don't think we've had an Oxbridge applicant let alone an offer-holder in the last 5 years... Two guys ended up in Cornell and UPenn in the last two years, though. One of my friends got an 80% scholarship to Vanderbilt and I'm really happy for him :biggrin: He's the only other person doing A-level Further Maths in my class. Another friend recently got 100% to some LA school, can't remember the name.

It doesn't count though, you got your offer after you left the school so they technically didn't play a part :tongue: You're doing extremely well for yourself given what level your peers are at. Oh I've been meaning to ask - is this brother you spoke of before also a genius mathmo like you? :biggrin:

Australian schools are ok. All you need is an average set of grades, say BBC+ and you're in like 403 said. They have some decent engineering schools, but the best places for mathematics at undergraduate level are all in the UK or the big name US schools. I haven't seen any other country put such great emphasis on maths like they do in the UK.

Wow that's very impressive - the Cornell/Penn and scholarship holders. In my opinion it is very difficult to get in to an elite US university from the British system, as we do not place so much emphasis on the ECAs that are liked by America
Reply 225
Wow that's very impressive - the Cornell/Penn and scholarship holders. In my opinion it is very difficult to get in to an elite US university from the British system, as we do not place so much emphasis on the ECAs that are liked by America

I definitely agree with that. Imagine a hypothetical situation where Zain tried applying to MIT. If he had 0 ECAs, he'd have a very tough time getting in despite his mathematical abilities. It'd be even worse if he couldn't write well. Despite all that, US colleges are much kinder in terms of financial aid to international students in comparison to UK unis, which the biggest reason kids from my school lean towards the States.
I definitely agree with that. Imagine a hypothetical situation where Zain tried applying to MIT. If he had 0 ECAs, he'd have a very tough time getting in despite his mathematical abilities. It'd be even worse if he couldn't write well. Despite all that, US colleges are much kinder in terms of financial aid to international students in comparison to UK unis, which the biggest reason kids from my school lean towards the States.

Agree! I suppose each has its ups and downs. Although I think he would thrive more at Cambridge, where the focus is more on the subject of choice
Such an amazing story! You have done so well through hardship up to this point, and now the finishing line is in sight! Massively good luck and hope you get the results you deserve. :smile:
Reply 228
Original post by Mathaddict
Such an amazing story! You have done so well through hardship up to this point, and now the finishing line is in sight! Massively good luck and hope you get the results you deserve. :smile:

Thank you, same to you! Glad to have you on board 😀
Reply 229
Today's M3 mock was tricky! I think I lost about 7 marks, not good. There was a weird circular motion bit that confused me a lot but I think I have an A overall. I'll need tons more past paper bashing - haven't done more than 2 to be honest, which is what tripped me up. FP2 tomorrow - should be okay. I think I'll do a past paper tonight as a mock to see what level I'm on.
Reply 230
FP2 June 2009:
Raw marks attained: 66/75
UMS: 90
Time left: ~20 minutes

This is very worrying. :frown: It seems like I'm not being able to cross this 66-69 mark as of yet, complacency always leads to lost marks. I'll need to aim for 70+ if I want an A*.

Q5 - lost marks because of careless algebra. Forgot to multiply by cosθ\cos\theta. :doh:-5
Q6 - haphazardly shaded outside the circle rather than inside. -1
Q7 - lost 1 whole solution and one range because of a poorly drawn graph. -3

Disappointed at my first FP2 paper. I'm hoping things can only get better from here on.

On another note, I still haven't recovered from last night's fever. :redface:

Your FP2 mock is tomorrow, isn't it? You need to do more resting and less working! :tongue:

I almost made that shading outside the circle mistake in the 2009 paper as well. That was a tricky one, are you sure you deserve five marks cut off for not multiplying by cosθ\cos \theta?
Reply 232
Original post by Zacken
Your FP2 mock is tomorrow, isn't it? You need to do more resting and less working! :tongue:

I almost made that shading outside the circle mistake in the 2009 paper as well. That was a tricky one, are you sure you deserve five marks cut off for not multiplying by cosθ\cos \theta?

It's my last exam as well and I haven't really been working tbh. I feel too sick to at the moment.

I've been meaning to ask you: why is it that the inside is shaded? I think it's because z=wi1wandz<3wi1w<3\displaystyle \left | z \right | = \left | \frac{wi}{1-w} \right | \text{and} \because \left | z \right | < 3 \Rightarrow \left | \frac{wi}{1-w} \right | < 3. Is this valid reasoning? :redface:

I don't mark myself too leniently. It makes for bad practice. Careless algebra is really not what I expect from myself, given what stage I'm in and what grades I'm aiming for. :frown:

I've seen the Jan 16 Maths mark schemes and I feel like I got somewhere between 70-72 in M2 and 71-73 in S1. I can't say about F1 because I forgot all my answers by now. :tongue:
It's my last exam as well and I haven't really been working tbh. I feel too sick to at the moment.

Argh, have you been taking medicine?

I've been meaning to ask you: why is it that the inside is shaded? I think it's because z=wi1wandz<3wi1w<3\displaystyle \left | z \right | = \left | \frac{wi}{1-w} \right | \text{and} \because \left | z \right | < 3 \Rightarrow \left | \frac{wi}{1-w} \right | < 3. Is this valid reasoning? :redface:

Wait... what? You are meant to shade outside the circle. You're correct, aren't you?

I don't mark myself too leniently. It makes for bad practice. Careless algebra is really not what I expect from myself, given what stage I'm in and what grades I'm aiming for. :frown:

Ah, fair enough - yeah, I tend to mark myself too leniently sometimes. Careless algebra is what you should expect when you're sick and doing maths, don't beat yourself up over it.

I've seen the Jan 16 Maths mark schemes and I feel like I got somewhere between 70-72 in M2 and 71-73 in S1. I can't say about F1 because I forgot all my answers by now. :tongue:

That's pretty darn good! Where'd you lose marks in S1?

Boring backstory:

IGCSEs - June 2014:

IAL AS-levels - June 2015:

IAL A-levels - June 2016:

Current goals:
Hi, TSR! My current ambition is to study Mechanical Engineering w/ Mathematics at a reputed North American university. I'll be honest to myself - I'm not the smartest person on TSR. I'm probably around the lower quartiles, but I will fight and give it my 100% until I'm incapable of doing so. My current predicted grades are A*A*AA in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Chemistry respectively, but I'm striving for A*A*A*A to A*A*A*A*, and I really do hope I can show my face here with those grades on results day. I'll be updating my study blog and my mock scores as well.

Application status:
McGill University - Acceptance (80% chance I'm accepting this)
University of British Columbia, Vancouver - Acceptance
Queen's University - Acceptance
University of Toronto - withdrew application
University of Waterloo - Acknowledged
Imperial College London - Acknowledged
University College London - Acknowledged
University of Bath - Acknowledged
University of Southampton - A*AA
University of Manchester - AAA
Apologies for the long read and thank you for bearing with me. Here's a cookie for compensation: :cookie:

WOW! Could you look at my thread and offer some advice, I think you would be great to advise me because we share similar interests and your experience is invaluable.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

My school is a state school (selective) and we send 10 or more students to Oxbridge a year and 20+ to UCL, Imperial, KCL, LSE out of 135 students. But no one goes to any unis abroad except one guy who went to some Czech dental school and one guy who went to some Spanish business school.
Original post by Trapz99
My school is a state school (selective) and we send 10 or more students to Oxbridge a year and 20+ to UCL, Imperial, KCL, LSE out of 135 students. But no one goes to any unis abroad except one guy who went to some Czech dental school and one guy who went to some Spanish business school.

Ah cool :smile:
Reply 237
Original post by Zacken
Argh, have you been taking medicine?

Wait... what? You are meant to shade outside the circle. You're correct, aren't you?

Ah, fair enough - yeah, I tend to mark myself too leniently sometimes. Careless algebra is what you should expect when you're sick and doing maths, don't beat yourself up over it.

That's pretty darn good! Where'd you lose marks in S1?

I don't like taking antibiotics or paracetamols until it's been 48+ hours. It weakens your immune system. I've taken a small nap though, but I feel pretty groggy after sleeping during daytime so it doesn't really help. My student did some trig today. His class' teacher taught him some weird non-intuitive formula to find trigonometric solutions and I cannot get it into his head why this works via the sine and cosine curves. :angry: He even refuses to learn the CAST diagram!

Oh yeah, thank you for spotting that I'm correct :colondollar: I marked myself incorrectly :tongue:

I've actually managed to practice somewhat. FP2 is easier than what people make it out to be in my opinion. (I hope those words don't come back to bite me in the arse anytime soon :redface:) I think I'll look over some complex numbers and ODEs and then go to bed.

The box plot probability question. You got full raw according to the mark scheme, so congratulations! :biggrin:

Now if I only knew how F1 went.. *sigh*
Reply 238
Things I read on M3 examiner's reports :laugh:

You might enjoy this @Student403
Things I read on M3 examiner's reports :laugh:

You might enjoy this @Student403

LOL cheeky candidates :toofunny:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending