The Student Room Group

Neuth's Grade Growing Greenhouse!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nisr123
Can I see the list you have for A2 biology? That list would definitely be helpful ☺️

My current list is (I will add more!):
- Speciation
- Succession
- Photosynthesis: Light Dependant
- Photosynthesis: Light Independent
- Global Warming and The Carbon Cycle
- DNA Profiling, PCR and Gel Electrophoresis
- Decomposition & Forensic Entomology
- The Non-Specific Immune Response
- The Specific Immune Response
- TB
- HIV & AIDS
- Protein Synthesis (Transcription and Translation)
- Joints
- Muscle Fibres & Sliding Filament Theory
- The Heart
- Aerobic Respiration
- Anaerobic Respiration

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to have a look at them all :h:

My posters are going well - I'll upload some photos later :colone:
Reply 21
Today's Topic is...
Study/Revision Tip Number 2:
:hoppy:ADVICE ON... REFLECTING ON REVISION TECHNIQUES! :hoppy:
(Inspired by @Tank Girl's blogging tips post and my new favourite rubber - see below...)

Why is reflecting important?

Okay, imagine the following scenario...
You have an hour of free time to revise and a lot to get done. You pick up your textbook and revise in the way you've always done - just by reading the pages and trying to absorb what you think is important, maybe writing down the important bits (it's the way your favourite teacher told you was best in Y7 and you've never questioned it).

10 minutes in you're feeling bored/tired (:yawn:) and you don't have much motivation. You look at the clock or your phone and realise how much time you have left and sigh internally, much like David Tennant in the gif below.

Sound familiar?
I'm sure you've all been there before at some point.

The important thing to do if that happens is to realise that you aren't revising efficiently.
Perhaps your revision technique isn't something that works for you, perhaps you need to take shorter more frequent breaks, perhaps you need to eat a jelly baby after every page (:yum:), perhaps you need to change your revision strategies... :iiam:

One thing you can do to work out what sort of revision techniques work for you is to do an online quiz where it'll tell you what type of learner you are... this is important because the more you know about yourself, the more you can know! :awesome:

Wait... 'type of learner'... what?

There are 3 main types of learners...
1) Visual (who like to see)... :love:
These learners like to use lots of colour and like drawing or making diagrams to revise topics. They retain information by remembering where/what is was located on.

2) Auditory (who like to hear)... :listen:
These learners like to discuss topics with friends and like listening to podcasts. They prefer to listen than to take notes.

3) Kinesthetic (who like to touch)... :five:
These learners like to be active whilst studying and prefer to learn by doing.

Okay, so I've worked my learning type... what next?

This is the fun part - try out new ways of revising :awesome:
Below are my top 5 methods for each learning type.

Visual Learners:

Make colourful posters.

Make detailed mindmaps.

Try making lots of flashcards.

Copy out diagrams.

Highlight key points from your notes.

Auditory Learners:

Listen to podcasts.

Discuss topics with your friends or teachers.

Try word-association.

Study with others, not on your own.

Listen to music while you study, or make your own rhymes, raps ect..

Kinesthetic Learners:

Do something while you study, such as play with a stress ball.

Use examples in your work.

Write out your notes again and again, condensing them each time.

Study with others.

Be practical and active.

What type of learner are you?
What's your favourite way to revise?
~ Neuth
Posts coming soon...

Revision Tip #3 :fluffy:

A guide to making perfect revision notes - aimed at visual learners.

Half Term Updates

How I'm getting along with all my tasks and goals...

Quotes

Original post by Neuth
x

this is rather irrelevant neuth but ur blog is so aesthetically pleasing :ahee: and those pens at the top :sogood:
awesome job neuth :lovehug: x
Reply 23
Original post by CoolCavy
this is rather irrelevant neuth but ur blog is so aesthetically pleasing :ahee: and those pens at the top :sogood:
awesome job neuth :lovehug: x

My triplus fineliners are just... :drool:

Thanks, Cavy - I try my hardest :blush:
How's all your art going? Feeling like David Tennant in the gif? :hugs:
Original post by Neuth
My triplus fineliners are just... :drool:

Thanks, Cavy - I try my hardest :blush:
How's all your art going? Feeling like David Tennant in the gif? :hugs:

what? they are urs? :cry2: nope not jealous, not jealous at all :cry: xD <3
it has been slow recently bc of illness (ik you have been ill too neuth so i hope you are better :lovehug:) but it was going well so hopefully i can pick it up again and carry on, going to take photographs for it tomorrow (warplanes and stuff). loool that was me in the last project after 3 months :rofl: how's ur work going neuth? :jumphug:
and pleased to speak to you again :love: x
Reply 25
what? they are urs? :cry2: nope not jealous, not jealous at all :cry: xD <3
it has been slow recently bc of illness (ik you have been ill too neuth so i hope you are better :lovehug:) but it was going well so hopefully i can pick it up again and carry on, going to take photographs for it tomorrow (warplanes and stuff). loool that was me in the last project after 3 months :rofl: how's ur work going neuth? :jumphug:
and pleased to speak to you again :love: x

They are indeed :blush:
Took that photo just before making the post, hehe :redface:
I've been busy making the most amazing posters ever for my bedroom walls :colone:

Hope you're feeling better, Cavy :hugs:
I remember the days of GCSE art :moon: So much coursework, not enough time.
Original post by Neuth
X

Awesome post, PRSOM!
Original post by Neuth
They are indeed :blush:
Took that photo just before making the post, hehe :redface:
I've been busy making the most amazing posters ever for my bedroom walls :colone:

Hope you're feeling better, Cavy :hugs:
I remember the days of GCSE art :moon: So much coursework, not enough time.

dammit you are one lucky neuth to have such beautiful pens :mmm:
awwwwwwww you are too cute :lol:
really? :ahee: are you gonna post them? :dance:
ty neuth, you too :lovehug:
GCSE? how dare thee :shock: 'tis AS :fyi:
:mmm: xx
Reply 28
Original post by Plagioclase
Awesome post, PRSOM!

Thank you! :blush:

dammit you are one lucky neuth to have such beautiful pens :mmm:
awwwwwwww you are too cute :lol:
really? :ahee: are you gonna post them? :dance:
ty neuth, you too :lovehug:
GCSE? how dare thee :shock: 'tis AS :fyi:
:mmm: xx

Hehe - it's my escape from reality. I have far too much stationery :mmm:

I know you're doing As - my memories are only from GCSE as I didn't take it further, so that's what I meant :redface:
I can only imagine the struggles you face - my friends who took it at As all got incredibly fed up...
Original post by Neuth

Hehe - it's my escape from reality. I have far too much stationery :mmm:

I know you're doing As - my memories are only from GCSE as I didn't take it further, so that's what I meant :redface:
I can only imagine the struggles you face - my friends who took it at As all got incredibly fed up...

hehe you can never have too much stationary :teehee:
oooh i see xD sorry neuth lol :lol: it isn't too bad really because i like the topic i'm doing (military stuff) it is nice cos we have more freedom to pick our own topics :smile: loool tbf i hate it sometimes :lol:
tis like a marriage :lol: xx
:hi: Neuth :tongue:

I have some notes that my teacher gave me about speciation - a generic answer to most questions - the cell-mediated and humoral responses and respiration which might help :colondollar:

Definitely subbing though and will be checking this every now and then :tongue:

Good luck :hugs:
Reply 31
Original post by Feraligatr
:hi: Neuth :tongue:

I have some notes that my teacher gave me about speciation - a generic answer to most questions - the cell-mediated and humoral responses and respiration which might help :colondollar:

Definitely subbing though and will be checking this every now and then :tongue:

Oooh, could you PM them to me please if you don't mind? :redface: That would be really useful.

Yay - thanks! :hugs:
This is all looking...

:h:
Original post by Neuth
Today's Topic is...
Study/Revision Tip Number 2:
:hoppy:ADVICE ON... REFLECTING ON REVISION TECHNIQUES! :hoppy:
(Inspired by @Tank Girl's blogging tips post and my new favourite rubber - see below...)

Why is reflecting important?

Okay, imagine the following scenario...
You have an hour of free time to revise and a lot to get done. You pick up your textbook and revise in the way you've always done - just by reading the pages and trying to absorb what you think is important, maybe writing down the important bits (it's the way your favourite teacher told you was best in Y7 and you've never questioned it).

10 minutes in you're feeling bored/tired (:yawn:) and you don't have much motivation. You look at the clock or your phone and realise how much time you have left and sigh internally, much like David Tennant in the gif below.

Sound familiar?
I'm sure you've all been there before at some point.

The important thing to do if that happens is to realise that you aren't revising efficiently.
Perhaps your revision technique isn't something that works for you, perhaps you need to take shorter more frequent breaks, perhaps you need to eat a jelly baby after every page (:yum:), perhaps you need to change your revision strategies... :iiam:

One thing you can do to work out what sort of revision techniques work for you is to do an online quiz where it'll tell you what type of learner you are... this is important because the more you know about yourself, the more you can know! :awesome:

Wait... 'type of learner'... what?

There are 3 main types of learners...
1) Visual (who like to see)... :love:
These learners like to use lots of colour and like drawing or making diagrams to revise topics. They retain information by remembering where/what is was located on.

2) Auditory (who like to hear)... :listen:
These learners like to discuss topics with friends and like listening to podcasts. They prefer to listen than to take notes.

3) Kinesthetic (who like to touch)... :five:
These learners like to be active whilst studying and prefer to learn by doing.

Okay, so I've worked my learning type... what next?

This is the fun part - try out new ways of revising :awesome:
Below are my top 5 methods for each learning type.

Visual Learners:

Make colourful posters.

Make detailed mindmaps.

Try making lots of flashcards.

Copy out diagrams.

Highlight key points from your notes.

Auditory Learners:

Listen to podcasts.

Discuss topics with your friends or teachers.

Try word-association.

Study with others, not on your own.

Listen to music while you study, or make your own rhymes, raps ect..

Kinesthetic Learners:

Do something while you study, such as play with a stress ball.

Use examples in your work.

Write out your notes again and again, condensing them each time.

Study with others.

Be practical and active.

What type of learner are you?
What's your favourite way to revise?
~ Neuth
Posts coming soon...

Revision Tip #3 :fluffy:

A guide to making perfect revision notes - aimed at visual learners.

Half Term Updates

How I'm getting along with all my tasks and goals...

Quotes

I'd love to be quoted when you have a new post - I'm trying to get my personal targets for my AS exams and I'm such a mess at this stage! I hope your advices can help me!! xx You're amazing btw!&
A Question: How do you take notes during lessons? Would you advice taking notes on apps such as Evernote and OneNote during lessons or even whilst revising or not?
Reply 35
Original post by Taefella
A Question: How do you take notes during lessons? Would you advice taking notes on apps such as Evernote and OneNote during lessons or even whilst revising or not?

:wavey:

I personally write all my notes on paper. I prefer doing this as it's a quicker way (IMO) to get notes I find visually appealing and I can use tonnes of stationery to make them look the way I want, rather than messing about with formatting on my laptop for hours! This is probably because I know that if I write something down on paper I can't change it without writing it out again or using tippex, whereas if I used OneNote I could make endless changes :redface:

I always use narrow ruled paper which is 80gsm+ and has a coloured margin, and write my notes using a combination of biros, fineliners (my favourite fineliners are in the photo on my previous post) and coloured pens. Then I decorate them using more colour, highlighters etc., whilst making them visually appealing by adding shapes, diagrams and pictures :love: I find colour schemes useful, and often colour co-ordinate my work for each subject. In Eng Lit I take this one step further by using post it notes of set colours to separate my notes (e.g blue for context points, yellow for important quotes, green for analysis etc.) :awesome:

I'm going to make a post about this all later (making study/revision notes) :fluffy:

I do know people who use OneNote, and there are some great posts by bloggers on how to make perfect notes online which are worth looking for :yep:
It's also worth considering the idea that you could make a condensed "revision guide" style document before exams as a revision exercise, rather than constant class notes...

Hope this helps! :hugs:

Original post by Tank Girl
This is all looking...:h:
Thank you :blush:Love the gif! :mmm:
Goodluck and I wish you all the best - I'm sure you will achieve highly

If you want to take a look at my blog it is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511
Original post by Neuth
:wavey:

I personally write all my notes on paper. I prefer doing this as it's a quicker way (IMO) to get notes I find visually appealing and I can use tonnes of stationery to make them look the way I want, rather than messing about with formatting on my laptop for hours! This is probably because I know that if I write something down on paper I can't change it without writing it out again or using tippex, whereas if I used OneNote I could make endless changes :redface:

I always use narrow ruled paper which is 80gsm+ and has a coloured margin, and write my notes using a combination of biros, fineliners (my favourite fineliners are in the photo on my previous post) and coloured pens. Then I decorate them using more colour, highlighters etc., whilst making them visually appealing by adding shapes, diagrams and pictures :love: I find colour schemes useful, and often colour co-ordinate my work for each subject. In Eng Lit I take this one step further by using post it notes of set colours to separate my notes (e.g blue for context points, yellow for important quotes, green for analysis etc.) :awesome:

I'm going to make a post about this all later (making study/revision notes) :fluffy:

I do know people who use OneNote, and there are some great posts by bloggers on how to make perfect notes online which are worth looking for :yep:
It's also worth considering the idea that you could make a condensed "revision guide" style document before exams as a revision exercise, rather than constant class notes...

Hope this helps! :hugs:

Thank you :blush:Love the gif! :mmm:

Thanks, it does! Do you have the links of these bloggers? I would love to know how they use onenote effectively. Also where do you buy your stationary ( I'm absolutely jealous of you and how organized you are :bawling:) Also do you personally use the pomodoro technique whilst revising if so how? Like do you do a topic or even a section of a topic in each 25 minutes or... I'm currently stuck between choosing whether to do a 40 minutes with 10 mins break or pomodoro
And I would love to know how you make your revision timetable ( maybe you could do a post on that too?), currently I'm using a website called goconqr although it's very good, I don't know whether it's effective for me :s-smilie:
I'm guessing you're a visual learner since you love to decorate your notes and make it more appealing to look at, which is an awesome idea I'll continue to write on paper and then when it comes to revising I'll make a condensed revision guide on OneNote xx thank you thank you thank you!! :adore:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Me after half-term:

(Yay for TBBT accurately summing up my feelings on the piles of work I have in my room...)

Trying to get stuff done so will post tomorrow, as believe it or not making these blog posts takes far longer than I'd like to admit :erm: Perfectionist nature kicking in...

Original post by brainzistheword
Goodluck and I wish you all the best

Original post by Taefella
Thanks, it does! Do you have the links of these bloggers? I would love to know how they use onenote effectively. Also where do you buy your stationary ( I'm absolutely jealous of you and how organized you are :bawling:) Also do you personally use the pomodoro technique whilst revising if so how? Like do you do a topic or even a section of a topic in each 25 minutes or... I'm currently stuck between choosing whether to do a 40 minutes with 10 mins break or pomodoro
And I would love to know how you make your revision timetable ( maybe you could do a post on that too?), currently I'm using a website called goconqr although it's very good, I don't know whether it's effective for me :s-smilie:
I'm guessing you're a visual learner since you love to decorate your notes and make it more appealing to look at, which is an awesome idea I'll continue to write on paper and then when it comes to revising I'll make a condensed revision guide on OneNote xx thank you thank you thank you!! :adore:

Just have a search - there are loads out there! :yep:

Where don't I buy my stationery? :redface:
Ermmm... I mainly get stuff from W H Smith, Paperchase, Muji, Amazon etc. - I quite often buy branded stuff from random shops as I try to get the best deals :fluffy:
I have far too much stationery, it consumes my room (ask @8472 :giggle:).

I set myself work to complete in terms of pomodoros. The posters I did this half term took 2 each.
That's my way of revising - so sometimes it was for a topic, sometimes a whole module, etc. - it depends on the subject :yep:

Okay - I will make a post on that then - it won't be very long but hopefully it will help you :hugs:
It's more a case of making lists of work to do and going through it when I have time avaliable (I lose motivation quickly if doing the same subject for hours on end! :redface:). I rank subjects based on how hard I find them and how much I enjoy them... then I prioritise work.

Yep - definitely a visual learner :love:

You're welcome :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending