The Student Room Group

Grow your grades 2016

Hi everyone!

Ok so I'll start by briefly describing my GCSE situation. I worked relatively hard throughout years 10/11 and managed to get myself an 11A* prediction after January mocks. I didn't do much work for my actual GCSEs and I think I just got really complacent because of my predictions. The only subject I actually worked hard for was English Language (my worst) because I was always borderline A/A* and I wanted to make sure I got the A*. In the end I got away with doing very little work and got 10A*s in the subjects I didn't work very hard for and a B in English Language after I screwed up a question. Go figure.

I'm now in Lower 6th/Year 12, whatever you want to call it. I'm doing AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, French and Spanish. I'm actually sitting the external AS levels in French and Spanish (as they're non-reformed) and will be doing internal summer exams in Biology and Chemistry, which the school have said will be rigorous so that they can give us accurate predictions. Basically I've been following the same work ethic as when I was meant to be revising for my GCSEs and surprisingly enough I've been getting away with it. I haven't had the kick up the arse that I need yet as a result of this. I'm aiming for 4 As, with 90+% in Biology, Chemistry and French, and 80+% in Spanish (I just want an A and then I'll drop it straightaway (I really don't like it this year!)) and with my work ethic this isn't going to happen, so I'm giving myself the kick up the arse I need with this blog, in the hope that it'll give me a bit of motivation as well!

I have mocks on Monday 22nd and 23rd of Feb so I've only got a few days left to revise everything 😬 I'm doing work experience on Thursday and Friday and I've also got a large amount of homework and catch up work to do. MUST STOP WATCHING NETFLIX AND PROCRASTINATING!

Plan for half term:
Try to get content covered for Biology and Chemistry.
Do some PPQs, if possible.
Do as many speaking questions as possible.
Catch up on school work and do homework.
Get organised!

NB: this blog isn't meant to be braggy in any way. if you don't have anything nice to say, then please just don't post. Happy to talk with anyone about pretty much anything.

Thanks for reading! If you have cared enough to read up to this point then I commend you!
Original post by hoafanuk
Hi everyone!

Ok so I'll start by briefly describing my GCSE situation. I worked relatively hard throughout years 10/11 and managed to get myself an 11A* prediction after January mocks. I didn't do much work for my actual GCSEs and I think I just got really complacent because of my predictions. The only subject I actually worked hard for was English Language (my worst) because I was always borderline A/A* and I wanted to make sure I got the A*. In the end I got away with doing very little work and got 10A*s in the subjects I didn't work very hard for and a B in English Language after I screwed up a question. Go figure.

I'm now in Lower 6th/Year 12, whatever you want to call it. I'm doing AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, French and Spanish. I'm actually sitting the external AS levels in French and Spanish (as they're non-reformed) and will be doing internal summer exams in Biology and Chemistry, which the school have said will be rigorous so that they can give us accurate predictions. Basically I've been following the same work ethic as when I was meant to be revising for my GCSEs and surprisingly enough I've been getting away with it. I haven't had the kick up the arse that I need yet as a result of this. I'm aiming for 4 As, with 90+% in Biology, Chemistry and French, and 80+% in Spanish (I just want an A and then I'll drop it straightaway (I really don't like it this year!)) and with my work ethic this isn't going to happen, so I'm giving myself the kick up the arse I need with this blog, in the hope that it'll give me a bit of motivation as well!

I have mocks on Monday 22nd and 23rd of Feb so I've only got a few days left to revise everything 😬 I'm doing work experience on Thursday and Friday and I've also got a large amount of homework and catch up work to do. MUST STOP WATCHING NETFLIX AND PROCRASTINATING!

Plan for half term:
Try to get content covered for Biology and Chemistry.
Do some PPQs, if possible.
Do as many speaking questions as possible.
Catch up on school work and do homework.
Get organised!

NB: this blog isn't meant to be braggy in any way. if you don't have anything nice to say, then please just don't post. Happy to talk with anyone about pretty much anything.

Thanks for reading! If you have cared enough to read up to this point then I commend you!

Good luck! I'm with you on the poor work ethic and slowly improving that/catching up with work with the help of my blog :five:

Did you want this in the Grow Your Grades forum btw? It's currently in A-levels. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Black Rose
Good luck! I'm with you on the poor work ethic and slowly improving that/catching up with work with the help of my blog :five:

Did you want this in the Grow Your Grades forum btw? It's currently in A-levels. :smile:

That'd be great thanks!
Original post by hoafanuk
That'd be great thanks!

Done. :smile:
Good luck!! You can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by PlayerBB
Good luck!! You can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 6
Hi everyone!

Just a quick update regarding mocks.

Ok, so they were absolutely terrible. :/

French was quite hard, Biology was a disaster and my teacher decided to put a 9 marker on tissue fluid on the test which we haven't even mentioned yet so that was just brilliant thanks guys. Spanish was ok but in reflection I might have completely screwed up the writing :/ Chemistry was really hard.

Tbh it's almost entirely my fault that I struggled - I didn't work anywhere near hard enough. Oh well, I guess it's just a sign that I need to work a lot harder than I am now.

Next posts will be mock grades - fun times!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending