The Student Room Group

Is anyone here applying for weird uni courses?

Is anyone here applying for some really obscure and unusual undergraduate course? If so, how long have you been interested in this subject and what do your friends and parents think?

Examples of unusual courses: Anglo Saxon and Celtic, anthropology, marine biology,

Scroll to see replies

Since when was marine biology considered weird?
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
Since when was marine biology considered weird?

It's not normal biology. Not many people apply for it.
I think a guy in my A Level Geography class applied for a degree in Sustainability or something along those lines, which I thought was a bit unusual :smile:
Im going to study Viticulture and Oenology at uni :smile: was going to apply for Contemporary Circus and Physical Performance but changed my mind.
I did my undergrad on a course which was the only one of its kind, there were 12 of us. The course is not being offered for 2016 entry so I think it went out to maybe 6 cohorts in total.

I heard about it just a couple of weeks before I started, the phonecall could be summarised like:
Me: what is clinical photography?
Course leader: explained the course and requirements
Me: sounds good
Course leader: do you want to start this September?
Me:ummm okay!

I applied through extra but had already been told I had a place.

Downsides to obscure courses include no one understanding what you do, having a small number of peers, potentially a narrow career path if it's highly specific and it can be difficult to explain why and how you came to do what it is you do.

Pros: you are a beautiful and unique snowflake.

I think the course is due to become a scientist training pathway. Otherwise the way into the profession is a photography degree followed by a postgrad course as a medical photography trainee.
Reply 6
Original post by Daniel9998
Im going to study Viticulture and Oenology at uni :smile: was going to apply for Contemporary Circus and Physical Performance but changed my mind.

You could do Viticulture AND Physical Performance, aka Pigeage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Instead of boring old regular Biology, some of my courses were actually...Biological Sciences. I'm a bit of a goofball, quirky so I wanted to do something different.
Reply 8

Lol you're that guy from the investment banking threads.
Original post by Trapz99
Lol you're that guy from the investment banking threads.

Yes, 99.5% of bankers these days have a degree in wine making or in contemporary circus. It's the best route to IB

What's that??? (The one u actually applied for?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by triphazards

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was joking:colondollar:
Original post by Quilverine
I did my undergrad on a course which was the only one of its kind, there were 12 of us. The course is not being offered for 2016 entry so I think it went out to maybe 6 cohorts in total.

I heard about it just a couple of weeks before I started, the phonecall could be summarised like:
Me: what is clinical photography?
Course leader: explained the course and requirements
Me: sounds good
Course leader: do you want to start this September?
Me:ummm okay!

I applied through extra but had already been told I had a place.

Downsides to obscure courses include no one understanding what you do, having a small number of peers, potentially a narrow career path if it's highly specific and it can be difficult to explain why and how you came to do what it is you do.

Pros: you are a beautiful and unique snowflake.

I think the course is due to become a scientist training pathway. Otherwise the way into the profession is a photography degree followed by a postgrad course as a medical photography trainee.

What does clinical photography entail and at what uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
He was joking:colondollar:

Oh haha,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am joking :smile: but its an actual degree, google it. It's a degree on wine making
What does clinical photography entail and at what uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only offered as a postgrad course now through Stafford. Westminster do a scientific and technical photography degree that would be a good way into a trainee medical photography post.
In a typical day I might photograph some derm and plastic patients in the studio then head to wards to photograph ulcers or trauma injuries. Sometimes children need safeguarding photos or I will produce memorial photos of stillborns or go to theatre. When I am not holding a camera I produce posters, do some corporate graphic design work and print runs for the hospital.

It's fascinating and I work with amazing people.

Www.imi.org.uk
Original post by Trapz99
It's not normal biology. Not many people apply for it.

my friend done this at university and i wanted to at one point but didnt because i cant swim
Original post by Dinasaurus
Instead of boring old regular Biology, some of my courses were actually...Biological Sciences. I'm a bit of a goofball, quirky so I wanted to do something different.

You do realise Biology and Biological sciences are the same.

Sorry. You're not actually quirky...
Original post by InadequateJusticex
You do realise Biology and Biological sciences are the same.

Sorry. You're not actually quirky...

If you could not tell that I was obviously being facetious, then I truly do feel for you my friend.

Most of the Unis I applied to had separate courses for Biology and Biological Sciences though
Reply 19
Original post by shawtyb
my friend done this at university and i wanted to at one point but didnt because i cant swim

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120217144401AA0XaoZ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending