The Student Room Group

Journey to Medical School - Year 11

Scroll to see replies

It's lovely to read all these positive comments! Today I have a) got a tan and burnt my face b) completed 2 revision booklets and accompanying revision posters. The revision booklets are all available on TES (just search "subject revision booklet") and they are all pretty great. For example, my History of Germany revision guide is 35 pages long and contains a wide variety of revision methods including: mind maps, a knowledge checklist, overview charts, speech bubbles of personal view points and loads of questions. In the picture below, the writing at the top are ideas I have had for revision that I completed after I finished the booklet as accompanying revision. If anyone has any revision websites/ideas feel free to share on here! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455573096.001149.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, here's an example of how I like to make my notes. It's sort of my own version of 5-5-1 (breaking down information into 5 sentences, 5 key words and 1 overall key word). I write the important stuff in a paragraph and then highlight/write important stuff in a different colour so that it stands out as I am a visual learner. Then at the end, my own quirky trick, is to write the most important thing/the thing you need to remember most from the topic with a # in front. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455573418.006097.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for this, it's so helpful and motivational 🙌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
This has motivated me to make my own blog which I'll do tomorrow. Thanks
I love how motivated you are, and your revision is so well thought out. I've made a little plan for Half Term and I'm hoping to get similar grades to you (maybe less A*s, I just wants As). Could you enlighten me on how you revise for English? I feel I can prepare for the other subjects, but English is kinda just hoping an okay question comes up on the exam lol.

Ooooh lucky you going to Barbados. I went to Jamaica last year to see family and it's amazing :smile:

I wish you the best of luck in your exams!
Original post by eli.ora
Hello! Do you also have a blog here? I'd be happy to read it :smile:

no sorry :smile:, do you have one?
Original post by romansholiday
I love how motivated you are, and your revision is so well thought out. I've made a little plan for Half Term and I'm hoping to get similar grades to you (maybe less A*s, I just wants As). Could you enlighten me on how you revise for English? I feel I can prepare for the other subjects, but English is kinda just hoping an okay question comes up on the exam lol.

Ooooh lucky you going to Barbados. I went to Jamaica last year to see family and it's amazing :smile:

I wish you the best of luck in your exams!

Tomorrow I will be reading and finishing (I am a very fast reader and I'm on holiday so can spend all my time tanning and "revising" by reading in the sun - revise for a tan is my motivation!) To Kill a Mockingbird for my fourth time! I will be completing a variety of revision methods which I will detail tomorrow night which I hope will help you!

In regards to my motivation, I actually got put off by some of my friends about revising: they asked me why I was revising during the school holidays when the exams are 11 weeks away. I laughed and said "exactly" but I don't think they understood. My school isn't very encouraging when it comes to revision so I thought I'd share something that makes me motivated when I feel stressed or down: "I wasn't the smartest in my class but I was the best." - Dr. Burke (GA) I want to be good at whatever I do, so I practice and I revise and I try very hard and I don't care what my friends think because in August I will be able to look at my sheet and say "I did that - not my teachers or my friends but me by doing revision in Barbados whilst being eaten by mosquitoes (parasites and vectors for plasmodium #biologyunit1) and getting a burn (due to being Caucasian and having a low melanin count in my skin #physicsunit1)." So I want you to know that whoever you are, whatever you want to do: I believe in you so get revising and show off your amazing skills, your gorgeous people you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was an interesting day: I went to the Mount Gay Rum Factory here in Barbados and it was very enlightening for my biology and chemistry modules in terms of distillation and fermentation. I thought I'd solidify the day of science with a revision booklet on physics (mind map on satellites shown below). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do all of the revision guide due to being a complete idiot and leaving my calculator at home! To make up for it I wrote out all the workings so that tomorrow I can do them when I get home. Have happy days people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HouseOfRichman
Tomorrow I will be reading and finishing (I am a very fast reader and I'm on holiday so can spend all my time tanning and "revising" by reading in the sun - revise for a tan is my motivation!) To Kill a Mockingbird for my fourth time! I will be completing a variety of revision methods which I will detail tomorrow night which I hope will help you!

In regards to my motivation, I actually got put off by some of my friends about revising: they asked me why I was revising during the school holidays when the exams are 11 weeks away. I laughed and said "exactly" but I don't think they understood. My school isn't very encouraging when it comes to revision so I thought I'd share something that makes me motivated when I feel stressed or down: "I wasn't the smartest in my class but I was the best." - Dr. Burke (GA) I want to be good at whatever I do, so I practice and I revise and I try very hard and I don't care what my friends think because in August I will be able to look at my sheet and say "I did that - not my teachers or my friends but me by doing revision in Barbados whilst being eaten by mosquitoes (parasites and vectors for plasmodium #biologyunit1) and getting a burn (due to being Caucasian and having a low melanin count in my skin #physicsunit1)." So I want you to know that whoever you are, whatever you want to do: I believe in you so get revising and show off your amazing skills, your gorgeous people you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks,you too
Really good blog, motivating me to work a but harder hahaa, I'm in A2 doing chem, bio and maths. Recently had 4 interviews fir medicine and waiting to hear back, so if you need any advice with anything medicine/GCSE/AS/A2 related I'll try and help, although you seen really on top if everything... Good luck!:smile:
Sorry for the delay but I've been enjoying the sun, sea, sand and reading far too much! I've read some (4 in 5 days) really good books including To Kill a Mockingbird! For this I made notes on every chapter detailing a summary, the key themes and key quotes and how it relates to the theme/novel using PETER (point, evidence, technique, explain, reader (the effect on)). I also got really excited with a revision idea when I get home: a poster for Tom Robinson's case detailing the testimonies from both sides and summary of charge against him. Today I started (but due to its 45 page length haven't finished) my Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde revision booklet. This included a really nifty mind map (as seen below) where you could add any ideas you had from the novel and question on each chapter. The best thing was a grid with a column for the quote, a column for explaining and a column for effect (a short version of PETER). Hope you enjoy the rest of the holidays, we've got to really start revising after this! I'm planning 2:30-3hrs a night 7 days a week, what about you? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455928305.677385.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by white_o
Really good blog, motivating me to work a but harder hahaa, I'm in A2 doing chem, bio and maths. Recently had 4 interviews fir medicine and waiting to hear back, so if you need any advice with anything medicine/GCSE/AS/A2 related I'll try and help, although you seen really on top if everything... Good luck!:smile:

Thank you! That's so kind, I hope you do really well in your A2 exams and in your interviews. Let me know when you've heard something back from your universities! Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, is that a revision booklet from TES or a school resource. (the jekyll and hyde workbook)..?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Do it Right
Hey, is that a revision booklet from TES or a school resource. (the jekyll and hyde workbook)..?
Posted from TSR Mobile

TES :smile: that's where I get most of my resources because I don't know if my school give them to us! Just type in "subject/book revision booklet" and preview it to check it's a good one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got home today at 7:02am and 'unfortunately' I wasn't able to go to school because of the jet lag. This meant I slept from 8-12 and then worked from 12-7:30. The work included my revision for today (History - Weimar Republic) and anything I wasn't able to finish fully during the half term. As I promised I am going to see if I have met my aims and evidence with some pictures (if I haven't posted them already.)
- Complete Unit 4 Citizenship coursework - COMPLETED *crosses fingers for an A* *
- Complete notes/posters/audio notes on all red (hard) topics - NOT COMPLETE: I didn't have all of my revision guides with me so could only complete areas that I had identified as hard during my mocks
- To revise paper 2 biology (as this is the paper I find hardest) by completing flashcards and the 2 revision booklets - NOT COMPLETE: I only managed to complete 1 out of the 2 booklets but will supplement the remainder into my revision
- Revise paper 2 physics using flashcards, 2 revision booklets (including SUVAT equations) and p6 quizzes on gojimo - COMPLETED! The flashcards will reappear tomorrow on my way to Kings College though :smile:
- Maths - complete A* maths test and questions on volume/geometry as this is a topic they have used twice in the last section of the edexcel maths papers - COMPLETED
- History - revise red topics identified in both booklets and complete revision posters/key individual charts - COMPLETED
- Spanish - do a practice listening paper and Spanish flashcards - NOT COMPLETE (I might have accidentally fallen asleep... but I will again complete it tomorrow during my journey to London)
- Music - revise rhythm by listening to, and comparing, pop music to classical music from the baroque era - COMPLETED
- Create another revision timetable - COMPLETED

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456170582.264196.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Reread To Kill a Mockingbird, analysing each chapter and making summaries of them - COMPLETED

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456170641.612137.jpg

This is in a school book that my teacher gave me, I find them really helpful as you can lay your revision out like a book!

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Complete notes on all red (hard) topics - NOT COMPLETE

I was unable to complete all the hard topics because I study 11 GCSEs and I won't be able to do every single hard topic at once because it wouldn't 'sink in.' But I was able to do some for all three sciences, History, English Literature and maths. Here is how I made a poster for the hard topics in History:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456170978.142727.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456170985.479515.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending