The Student Room Group

What gcse did u get

1. What gcse did u do and what did you get
2. How did you revise for each one of them
3. When did you start revising

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
biology A*, chemistry A*, maths A*, history A*, english literature A*, english language A, french A, humanities A, physics A, core science A, further maths A, textiles A, ICT B.
Biology I did revision classes after school with my teacher and I did big revision mind maps with literally the whole course on a massive piece of paper, I did the same revision maps for all the science stuff. English I made sure I did all my work on time and then I looked up some quotes and read and annotated poems, we did practices for the unseen poem too in class which helped. French I cried mostly haha, but I worked hard on the speaking and writing and then just did papers. Maths is just papers. History I had notes for. Textiles made me want to cry tbh the coursework was the worst I think I spent zero time on the exam other than for the like bit we could prepare ahead of time for. Don't even get me started on ICT it's a miracle I even passed the whole thing was a farce from my school from start to finish, so yeah I was totally demoralised in that.
When did I start? I guess biology was the earliest I probably went to revision from getting back from christmas holidays, and I worked on textiles after school that day too. Everything else ... I'm a major procrastinator so maybe a month or so before the exams. I know it was stupid really. Put the work in you'll do great
Reply 2
1) french A* ICT A maths A physics A biology B chemistry B business B history B stats B citizenship B graphics C eng lang C eng lit C
2) I didnt
3) i didnt
Original post by sandvika
1) french A* ICT A maths A physics A biology B chemistry B business B history B stats B citizenship B graphics C eng lang C eng lit C
2) I didnt
3) i didnt

Howd you get a B in history with no revision at all?
Reply 4
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Howd you get a B in history with no revision at all?

Maybe depends on which exam board, I know for mine we had sources and stuff so you could sort of get away with it for some topics
Original post by r.ayre
Maybe depends on which exam board, I know for mine we had sources and stuff so you could sort of get away with it for some topics

I'm on AQA but I honestly don't believe you didn't do any at all.
Maths
English Lang + Lit
Bio
Chem
Physics
French
German
Spanish
History
Geography

Got A* in all but English Lang in which I got a B.

Didn't do much (because I'm an idiot) but when I did I made notes and did past papers. PAST PAPERS ARE THE KEY!

Oh and good luck!
1. Chemistry A* , English Lit A , English Lang A, Astronomy A, Physics A, Biology A, RE A, History A, French A, Double Engineering BB, Maths B, Citizenship Short Course C.
2. Sciences - I just memorised the revision guide by reading a question and then reading the answer, I did this even on the bus on the way to school before my exam.
English I didn't 'revise',
Astronomy no out of school work,
RE I didn't revise,
History I used this site GCSEpod I think and just listened to the stuff whilst I did other things
. French required no work,
Engineering exams are just easy the main issue was the course work.
Maths - I did some questions but still didn't do too well.
Citizenship exam was insanely easy but unfortunately my coursework was terrible (it was written on the back of a piece of paper in pencil)
3. I generally started revising in class when they gave us revision material, this was a few weeks before the exams, maybe months? I didn't really do anything other than what was asked of me.
Reply 8

I never said that I didn't. I had notes I used those and they helped me get my A*
Original post by r.ayre
I never said that I didn't. I had notes I used those and they helped me get my A*

Oh wait! I think I quoted the wrong person... Oops

Depends what you mean by revision, like most of my GCSEs had in class revision which meant I was able to get work done in class and at home I would listen to gcsepod. But comparing it to A levels for me which requires constant work from home, GCSE History really didn't require 'work'.

Other than reminding myself of certain events, there was really nothing else to it. I just wrote what I thought. There's not really any 'skill' to it, just simply answering a question.
Reply 11
Oh wait! I think I quoted the wrong person... Oops

haha no worries
Original post by Dinasaurus
Depends what you mean by revision, like most of my GCSEs had in class revision which meant I was able to get work done in class and at home I would listen to gcsepod. But comparing it to A levels for me which requires constant work from home, GCSE History really didn't require 'work'.

Other than reminding myself of certain events, there was really nothing else to it. I just wrote what I thought. There's not really any 'skill' to it, just simply answering a question.

Yeah I said in my other post about class revision, because you can definitely get away with that :tongue:

I quoted the wrong person so the whole post was a bit of a fail really
Yeah I said in my other post about class revision, because you can definitely get away with that :tongue:

I quoted the wrong person so the whole post was a bit of a fail really

I really hope they do make GCSEs harder because they were so easy and screwed me over for A Levels, I was completely unprepared for the work-load compared to GCSE.
I really hope they do make GCSEs harder because they were so easy and screwed me over for A Levels, I was completely unprepared for the work-load compared to GCSE.

They're reforming them from next year starting with maths and science, luckily I narrowly avoid them. Ugh that doesn't sound good 😐, what A-levels do you take?
They're reforming them from next year starting with maths and science, luckily I narrowly avoid them. Ugh that doesn't sound good 😐, what A-levels do you take?

Maths, Chemistry, Biology (I did Physics AS)
I was so unprepared that this is my 3rd year in doing them lol
Maths, Chemistry, Biology (I did Physics AS)
I was so unprepared that this is my 3rd year in doing them lol

Ahh ****, that sucks. Which of those is the biggest step up from GCSE? I want to do those a levels too( not physics though). Hopefully you'll make it through this time!
Ahh ****, that sucks. Which of those is the biggest step up from GCSE? I want to do those a levels too( not physics though). Hopefully you'll make it through this time!

The hardest for me was Physics, but I had a rare situation of having a realllly bad teacher (I know everyone says that but he was a special case) and I guess you're not doing Physics.

Chemistry is the biggest step-up considering it was my best GCSE and now I'm struggling, there's just so much more content. So many more processes and I was pretty bad at doing practicals.

Maths is hard too but I kinda knew what I was getting myself into considering it was one of my worst GCSEs, I originally didn't even choose maths but I chose it because the subject I originally chose got cancelled. The hard stuff in GCSE is equivalent to the basic steps in answering a 1 marker in A level. If you're like 'Maths' minded then Maths shouldn't be too hard.
Original post by r.ayre
biology A*, chemistry A*, maths A*, history A*, english literature A*, english language A, french A, humanities A, physics A, core science A, further maths A, textiles A, ICT B.
Biology I did revision classes after school with my teacher and I did big revision mind maps with literally the whole course on a massive piece of paper, I did the same revision maps for all the science stuff. English I made sure I did all my work on time and then I looked up some quotes and read and annotated poems, we did practices for the unseen poem too in class which helped. French I cried mostly haha, but I worked hard on the speaking and writing and then just did papers. Maths is just papers. History I had notes for. Textiles made me want to cry tbh the coursework was the worst I think I spent zero time on the exam other than for the like bit we could prepare ahead of time for. Don't even get me started on ICT it's a miracle I even passed the whole thing was a farce from my school from start to finish, so yeah I was totally demoralised in that.
When did I start? I guess biology was the earliest I probably went to revision from getting back from christmas holidays, and I worked on textiles after school that day too. Everything else ... I'm a major procrastinator so maybe a month or so before the exams. I know it was stupid really. Put the work in you'll do great

What are you studying now??
Reply 19
I got Maths Double Science (no triple offered until the year after lol) English Lit/Lang History Geography at a*, music and welsh a, I.T/DiDA Merit/A

For Maths I just looked in the books a bit a couple of days before and did some past paper questions; double science used CGP questions and bitesize, for earlier exams like a week or a couple before, for later exams like a month and a bit before (far stronger a*s in later exams), English Lit made files of notes on themes and characters like a week before, Lang...well, it's lang, just checked out a couple of handy tips the night before, History, for first exam just bitesize a couple of days before, for the others maybe one or two weeks before just copying out facts from the books to remember them, same for Geography, for music couldn't really revise, for Welsh didn't revise, DiDA was coursework basically

Quick Reply

Latest