The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tumbledry
soas or queen mary?

SOAS > Queen Mary's
Does anyone even have an offer to Durham yet?
Original post by beewilde
If I may ask, when did you apply and what was your LNAT score?

Applied on December 15th, and received 25 in the LNAT.
Original post by michaelzz
Applied on December 15th, and received 25 in the LNAT.

AS/GCSE's?
Original post by lovecathy
Nope, with A-Levels it's pretty much the same. A*AA for both (:

hey if i may ask what was the Warwick offer?
Original post by sjmyatt11
I've got offers from both and despite what seems to be a controversial opinion I think I'm going to firm Bristol. Both are amazing unis with very good prospects, although one may be slightly better than the other, honestly I don't see that you will have massive advantage in going to kings. They are both top ten unis, both are highly respected, both have alumni in major law firms, and Both are heavily scouted by law firms. Kings is in London which is both a blessing and a curse. Although I adore London the accommodation costs of £160-440 a week is extortionate and even with the excess student loan I won't be able to live. Although London is obviously an amazing city, Bristol has won countless awards in the last couple of years including the best student city in 2015, and with transport links not even that far away from the capital. I completely understand why you may be gutted not to go to kings, but if you haven't visited Bristol or have only seen it once, then I all I can say is go and have a look because I really think it will surprise you, as it did me

Thanks for the alternate perspective, maybe Bristol ends up great after all. Depending on whether I get Nottingham or not, I'll visit the UK during spring break as I'm international.
Original post by Cholesta
Have you been to Bristol yet?

No I have not, I'm international. Barely even been to London (3 day detour)
Reply 2567
Hi, I am an international student and completed my high school in Singapore.
Took my IB last November and got 44 (which satisfies all conditions I think)

Submitted my UCAS in September.
Rejected by LSE (November) and Cambridge (after interview and Law test in Singapore)

Took my LNAT on 11 December and got 32.

Got offers from:
QMUL in December
Bristol on 17 December
Durham on 17 February

So now it's the time for decision. Could anyone please share some advice on choosing the right school? I don't really have the chance to experience the schools myself and would love to know the atmosphere and job prospective. Since I'm an international student, I guess the school's international recognition is also my consideration.

Thanks a lot~
Original post by CJaneH
Do you have any idea why KCL rejected you? That's normally a good indication as to whether to re apply or not

Probably LNAT, I got 23. Predicted A*A*AA and have a decent PS, so that shouldn't have been the problem seeing as so many people are getting offers.
Original post by dfradkin
No I have not, I'm international. Barely even been to London (3 day detour)

We're from Ireland. Flew over to Bristol and was very impressed. At offer holders day, today at Nottingham Uni. They also have one in March and April as they still have lots of offers to give out.
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Does anyone even have an offer to Durham yet?

Nope...
Got an offer from Bristol today! Just waiting on Nottingham now.

I'm still waiting for Nottingham too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an offer from Bristol today! Just waiting on Nottingham now.

i never understood you british college kids going 'i just got offer from XXX so just waiting on YYY'.

Original post by fire_and_ice
SOAS > Queen Mary's

is QM the one with the graveyard beside the law school?

Original post by shiyi

Rejected by LSE (November) and Cambridge (after interview and Law test in Singapore)

Got offers from:
QMUL in December
Bristol on 17 December
Durham on 17 February

So now it's the time for decision. Could anyone please share some advice on choosing the right school? I don't really have the chance to experience the schools myself and would love to know the atmosphere and job prospective. Since I'm an international student, I guess the school's international recognition is also my consideration.

Thanks a lot~

i really don't see any significant difference between your remaining 3 choices. I'll go for QMUL if i were you. Only cos QMUL sounds nice than say Bristol or Durham. im surprised you were rejected by LSE given that you scored 44 for your IB. what do you think made you not get an offer from LSE?
Reply 2573
Original post by Audrey18
i never understood you british college kids going 'i just got offer from XXX so just waiting on YYY'.

is QM the one with the graveyard beside the law school?

i really don't see any significant difference between your remaining 3 choices. I'll go for QMUL if i were you. Only cos QMUL sounds nice than say Bristol or Durham. im surprised you were rejected by LSE given that you scored 44 for your IB. what do you think made you not get an offer from LSE?

I'll copy what they said in their rejection email haha.
It's about my PS but they never said specifically which part went wrong.

The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as consequence of your personal statement. As competition for places at LSE is intense, the Personal Statement is considered carefully when deciding whether to make an offer. Your personal statement, when compared to those of similar applicants, was not sufficiently convincing to be offered a place.

Another odd thing is that one of the mature girls' college in Cambridge (not the one I applied to ) wrote me an email encouraging me to re-apply to their college next year cuz they couldn't offer me a place this year( probably cuz I'm not 21 yet).
Original post by shiyi

Got offers from:
QMUL in December
Bristol on 17 December
Durham on 17 February

Thanks a lot~

I'm Singaporean too and I know quite a number of people (singaporean, specifically) who went to Bristol, and their friend circle literally comprises of Singaporeans only. Which if you're interested in, go ahead, but ultimately it's your decision really. I'd say go for Durham or QM! :smile:
Original post by dfradkin
Thanks for the alternate perspective, maybe Bristol ends up great after all. Depending on whether I get Nottingham or not, I'll visit the UK during spring break as I'm international.

This will give you an idea of what Bristol is like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8
Original post by returnmigrant
This will give you an idea of what Bristol is like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8

This is just an advert for the university, so there wasn't much clarity of what bristol is like
Reply 2577
Original post by yvchan
I'm Singaporean too and I know quite a number of people (singaporean, specifically) who went to Bristol, and their friend circle literally comprises of Singaporeans only. Which if you're interested in, go ahead, but ultimately it's your decision really. I'd say go for Durham or QM! :smile:

HAHA thanks for the info but I'm not Singaporean.
However I am thinking about coming back to Singapore for work after uni. Do you happen to know how the employers in SG think of the graduates from Bristol/Durham/QM?
Original post by shiyi
HAHA thanks for the info but I'm not Singaporean.
However I am thinking about coming back to Singapore for work after uni. Do you happen to know how the employers in SG think of the graduates from Bristol/Durham/QM?

OH oops :redface:
I did an internship at a law firm and basically my mentor didnt really mention much but if it helps he says that during your pupillage your Uni doesn't really matter (as Long as its approved which all three of your choices are.)
It's more of the skills displayed/qualities you have and etc ie in Rajah and Tann LLP a friend of mine went to NUS and she got the job over an Oxford graduate. So it really depends I think. Hope this helps!
Everyone seems to have an offer from Bristol and I'm just chilling waiting on a reply. Don't you think they would've given out most of their offers by now?? I applied November 4th, sat LNAT 18th December and got 27. If they wanted me they would've given me an offer by now lol

Latest

Trending

Trending