The Student Room Group

Why Should Private Schools be abolished??

Scroll to see replies

Private schools are marvellous. They show the state sector what they should be aiming towards.
They shouldn't be banned. The argument for closing down private schools is basically "it's not accessible to everyone, therefore no one should have access to it". The idea that well performing schools should be shut down just because they're private and not everyone can go to them is an incredibly childish and dangerous attitude to have towards something as important as education.

If there is an "equality" issue with private schools, you should solve it by dragging other schools up, not by dragging private schools down or closing them. The same basic principle goes for any equality issue really.
Reply 22
Original post by AceViva
More recently on TSR there have been threads and posts about private schools being abolished. I dont understand why? The private school i go to there is a boy who is on a scholarship and is from quite a deprived area, now he does not really get on with anybody and spends most of his day complaining about "private school posh people" and how it is not fair how people are paying for an education and that they should be abolished. Yet he goes to one -.-

What do you think, are private schools unfair and should they be abolished?

I think they are unfair but life is unfair generally. I don't think that we should seek to abolish unfairness.
No. I dont think its unreasonable for the sons and daughters of cleaner, purer people to be educated in a sober environment, it is their birthright. I did state school but would have gone private had my parents been able to afford to send both of us there. The state school I ended up in was classed very good but even so we still had chairs being thrown across the room, boys dancing on tables and teachers being locked in cupboards. This is the sort of behaviour you expect from the sons of tradesman, fireman and warehouse workers, its in their DNA; its too hardwired in them. No education in the world will cure people like that. Private schools are necessary so that non scum can ensure if nothing else that their offspring can at least spend 6 hours a day in a safe, calm environment. The Tracy's and Darrens of this world aren't really worthy of 'equal opportunities' because frankly they shouldn't even have been allowed to fire out little Darren back when 'mum yeah' was 16. People that actually bother spending several hours a day preparing pasta or going on holiday to Tuscany should carry on spending as much as they like on fee paying schools and shouldn't been dragged down to the level of the other vermin.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ellie0497
I go to a private school and I don't see the difference between my school and other schools.

You have a nice face
Original post by JerseyHouse
No. I dont think its unreasonable for the sons and daughters of cleaner, purer people to be educated in a sober environment, it is their birthright. I did state school but would have gone private had my parents been able to afford to send both of us there. The state school I ended up in was classed very good but even so we still had chairs being thrown across the room, boys dancing on tables and teachers being locked in cupboards. This is the sort of behaviour you expect from the sons of tradesman, fireman and warehouse workers, its in their DNA; its too hardwired in them. No education in the world will cure people like that. Private schools are necessary so that non scum can ensure if nothing else that their offspring can at least spend 6 hours a day in a safe, calm environment. The Tracy's and Darrens of this world aren't really worthy of 'equal opportunities' because frankly they shouldn't even have been allowed to fire out little Darren back when 'mum yeah' was 16. People that actually bother spending several hours a day preparing pasta or going on holiday to Tuscany should carry on spending as much as they like on fee paying schools and shouldn't been dragged down to the level of the other vermin.

Oh hi, Katie Hopkins! Didn't realise you had a TSR profile :smile:
I think my state sixth form is quality - it is almost certainly better than some private ones (in the subjects I've experienced at least ).
Original post by JerseyHouse

Well then... you sound like fun. Did you have any friends at state school or did you just sit in the corner with a stick so that the 'vermin' couldn't get close enough to talk to you?
They shouldn't be abolished. Anyone who says otherwise is just jealous.
Original post by KingKoala
Sorry, you're smart enough but your parents don't have enough money...goodbye

My family is relatively poor, however I got a scholarship for a private school; if you are poor but intelligent you can still go to them.
This whole argument makes me laugh, people nowadays don't appear to understand capitalism (for that matter, they don't seem to be able to understand or comprehend anything).

Of course Private Education should not be abolished, doing so would only create more problems.

Answer this, Where would all the money for educating an additional 7% of children come from? Higher taxes? No.
Original post by Uncle Tom
My family is relatively poor, however I got a scholarship for a private school; if you are poor but intelligent you can still go to them.

I'm sure you can however it is much harder, well done to you though :smile:
Just because you can't afford a private education does not mean it should be abolished. I can't afford a mortgage but that doesn't mean we should abolish others having a mortgage.
I don't think they should be abolished but a few of them need bringing into the 21st century. Traditions are all very well and good until people opt for state schools because they have better facilities in areas where private schools refuse to acknowledge (art, drama, etc).

I went private for secondary and state for sixth form, and there was a noticeable increase in pastoral care at the state. But I don't know if that was just my school being a bit rubbish or if it was to do with the fact that it's private.
Original post by Justmoll28
just the quality of education is not worth the money, the people who also go are 'posh' and they dont fit in, the facilities are not any different to none private education i could go on and on haha im personally so glad i wasn't put in private school

You're clearly ignorant of private education if that's what you think.

1. Private schools consistently out perform state schools and everyone I know who started in state schools has said that the level of education is higher.
2. Do you realise how few rich people are 'posh' now? Besides most people at private school are middle class
3. I've never been in a state school but that's just obviously not true, private schools have far better facilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellie0497
I go to a private school and I don't see the difference between my school and other schools.

What rubbish. If there was really no difference then why would you even go to it? I bet you the classes are smaller, you have more support for top uni applications, more extra curricular activites, better facilities etc. And if you are comparing to one particular very good state school, then that's just silly. I general, private schools are miles better than state schools.

And to answer the OP, no they shouldn't be abolished. I will send my kid to a state school if it's a good quality one, but if i can afford to and the private school is better I'll send them to that.
Original post by Underscore__
You're clearly ignorant of private education if that's what you think.

1. Private schools consistently out perform state schools and everyone I know who started in state schools has said that the level of education is higher.
2. Do you realise how few rich people are 'posh' now? Besides most people at private school are middle class
3. I've never been in a state school but that's just obviously not true, private schools have far better facilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the private school, depends on the state school. There is obviously a large range in both, and it's shocking how bad some schools charging £10k+ a year can be.

However, yes, by and large, standards at private schools are generally higher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathaddict
Depends on the private school, depends on the state school. There is obviously a large range in both, and it's shocking how bad some schools charging £10k+ a year can be.

However, yes, by and large, standards at private schools are generally higher.

Standards are generally significantly higher. Private education also gives you the best opportunity to succeed later in life. There's a reason most Oxbridge students also went to private school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Replace the private schools with grammar schools instead. In state schools, you get people who should easily be able to achieve 6-7A* get 2-3 as due to the negative company that is around them. I went to a state school and now a grammar so if people are filtered out, they have a better chance in life.

Well, that's my opinion
Original post by oliviaf1
Absolutely not. If you think about it, every student who goes to a private school and pays for their tuition is a student who therefore doesn't need or take up a place at a state school. If private schools were abolished, the government would have all those additional students needing school places - more money for new schools, bigger schools. As it is, wealthier kids going to private schools takes them out of the equation for state schools, meaning there are more places available for kids who don't have the option of going to private school.

That is a valid point. Although some argue that many good and capable teachers who would otherwise be working in the state school system, are taken out of the system by private schools. I guess one needs to weigh up which causes more harm to the state school system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending