The Student Room Group

Leaving Uni to move to another

Hello everybody, I am currently a bit disappointed about my course. I am studying Electronic and Computer Engineering in London and I what I have found is that my university is not what I was expecting it to be. What I see is that the laboratories are not really good. They are soo easy sometimes and I feel like I am not learning anything much. And the other thing is even if I get a first (1:1) when I will finish my course, will it be really considered outside? For example if I graduate at Imperial College it would be really nice of course but how much difference there is actually?
I don't know if it is worth to leave my uni and wait 1.5 years to start the uni again at Imperial. What do you think guys? The thing is that I have high expectations from my degree, I do want to study and pursue a great engineering career. I want to be innovative and work for industries that research new products in terms of robotics.
And I feel like my uny may be not enough somehow.

Thanks for any reply.
(edited 8 years ago)
It feels like maybe there are two different things going on here, but this
Original post by LoKKeR
I do want to study and pursue a great engineering career. I want to be innovative and work for industries that research new products in terms of robotics.

I can completely understand, so I'll bite :tongue:

Are you in your first year? The post reads like you're in your first year. If that is the case then I think it's a little early to say that (you feel like) you're not learning much. This in itself is rather vague - is there little content? Is the teaching poor? How much time do you spend studying? You may not find things "soo easy" in later years!

However, if you really feel that the department/university has not met your (reasonable, I hope) expectations, then you could look into transferring into a course at another university, most likely into Year 2 of a similar course. I don't think the process needs to take a year and a half. It may be possible to start a different course from the beginning, but this is something you would need to investigate.

I doubt having a first (no-one says 1:1!) is of any particular importance when it comes to applying for jobs, and I'm not entirely sure about the significance of the university. The only instances I have seen where a first was required were Cambridge and Edinburgh :shifty: post-grad courses.

And I feel like my uny may be not enough somehow.

With a nice placement/internship or two, your university shouldn't be a problem, so I'd recommend applying for some whether you stay at your current university or move. I cannot think of many robotics companies in the UK that have student placements, but they must exist, right? :tongue:
Reply 2
Is there a reason you didn't go to Imperial or another uni in the first place? If you didn't meet their entry requirements, transferring into the second year of one of their courses may not be feasible. Unis are aware of people getting into lower-ranked unis wih lower entry requirements, then seeking a transfer. Before making any more plans, you should contact the Admissons Office of Imperial & other potential alternatives and ask whether they will consider a transfer. There's no point making further plans until you know whether a transfer is even an option.

I'd echo the above poster though. The first year of a degree is designed to bring everyone up to the same level of basic knowledge, before the work begins in earnest in the second year. You often find A Level concepts being rehashed for those who need a refresher. Just because you find the first year undermanding, doesn't mean that will continue next year.
Original post by Klix88
Unis are aware of people getting into lower-ranked unis wih lower entry requirements, then seeking a transfer.

I didn't know this was something people did :eek:
Reply 4
Original post by + polarity -
I didn't know this was something people did :eek:

They try - it tends not to work. Always ask a target uni before making any detailed plans.
Reply 5
Original post by + polarity -
It feels like maybe there are two different things going on here, but this

I can completely understand, so I'll bite :tongue:

Are you in your first year? The post reads like you're in your first year. If that is the case then I think it's a little early to say that (you feel like) you're not learning much. This in itself is rather vague - is there little content? Is the teaching poor? How much time do you spend studying? You may not find things "soo easy" in later years!

However, if you really feel that the department/university has not met your (reasonable, I hope) expectations, then you could look into transferring into a course at another university, most likely into Year 2 of a similar course. I don't think the process needs to take a year and a half. It may be possible to start a different course from the beginning, but this is something you would need to investigate.

I doubt having a first (no-one says 1:1!) is of any particular importance when it comes to applying for jobs, and I'm not entirely sure about the significance of the university. The only instances I have seen where a first was required were Cambridge and Edinburgh :shifty: post-grad courses.

With a nice placement/internship or two, your university shouldn't be a problem, so I'd recommend applying for some whether you stay at your current university or move. I cannot think of many robotics companies in the UK that have student placements, but they must exist, right? :tongue:

Thanks for the reply, yes I am in my first year. I cannot move to other universities because it's too late for any application plus Imperial doesn't consider any transfer to level 2 (even if I was granted the access to the course but I got lower rank for the IELTS test and that's the reason why I didn't go to Imperial) therefore I would need to star again from level 1 if I want to move there. Anyway I think I was seeing the thing from a bad point of view. You might be right, this is just the first year.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest